PDA

View Full Version : Activision Threatens To "Stop Supporting" Sony Consoles

Darksaviour69
June 19th, 2009, 16:31
Bear in mind there's a degree of saber-rattling to this, but still; Activision boss Bobby Kotick has warned Sony that his company - the world's largest third-party publisher - may cease support for the PS3 and PSP.

Speaking with The Times, Kotick said "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation".

Subtle. But wait. It gets subtler.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow", he continues. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony...When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP [portable] too".

In that absolute worst-case scenario, that would mean no Call of Duty for Sony consoles. No Guitar Hero for Sony consoles. No Tony Hawk, either. It probably won't ever come to that, of course, but Kotick's words are still worth noting. After all, when was the last time you ever saw a third-party publisher so openly threaten a major platform holder?

Source: Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5296566/activision-threatens-to-stop-supporting-sony-consoles?skyline=true&s=x)

osgeld
June 19th, 2009, 18:36
After all, when was the last time you ever saw a third-party publisher so openly threaten a major platform holder?

um i think it was around the time of the 32x / Saturn hoopla

_X_Zero
June 19th, 2009, 21:46
Hahahahahahahahaha
GoD why did I buy a ps3...
Good thing i only use it for movies hahaha!
Games R for 360! (even though it also kinda sux...)
NVM that stuff
PC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamotto
June 20th, 2009, 05:12
A classic example of saber rattling. :rolleyes:

kaferenza
June 20th, 2009, 06:21
"...that would mean no Call of Duty for Sony consoles. No Guitar Hero for Sony consoles. No Tony Hawk, either."

Let me see here. Really really don't care, don't care, and don't care.

Either way, stop trying to push Sony to lower the price of their console. A) It's NOT that expensive when compared to a fully loaded 360 experience, and B) Sony is still losing money on each console.

'But, wah, it's hard to program for.' Yeah, we know. We've seen the data sheets for the processor. Its called advances in technology. I'm sure everyone wishes they could still program things in BASIC and have them come out looking like current-gen titles. Like everything else, the more you do it the better you will get at it so start pumping out more games instead of threatening to make none.

fpcreator2000
June 20th, 2009, 15:41
Ahh, the days of Nintendo and Squaresoft.

The memories.