PDA

View Full Version : Sony Responds to Activision's Threats to Ditch Playstation

wraggster
June 19th, 2009, 22:24
Activision head honcho Bobby Kotick has been doing some saber rattling over at the giant publisher, saying that they may need to "stop supporting Sony" come 2010 or 2011. The folks at Playstation, though, don't seem fazed.

"PlayStation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3, and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners," said Playstation spokesman Patrick Seybold. "We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience."

Indeed Sony announced an impressive line-up of first and third-party PS3 and PSP titles at their annual retailer meet-up Destination Playstation and then spent a bulk of their E3 press conference whipping through triple-A title after triple-A title.

As interesting as it is to read about some publishing exec making vague threats, I'd be much more interested to learn what really prompted this. Perhaps we should be reading more into Kotick's comments in the same article about the royalties that Activision is having to pay out to Sony.

http://kotaku.com/5296976/sony-responds-to-activisions-threats-to-ditch-playstation

Ultima Chocochu
June 20th, 2009, 05:00
When I read that for the first time, I kind of just laughed and thought "It's been a while since Activision made a thing I cared about."

WhizzBang
June 20th, 2009, 05:36
When I read that for the first time, I kind of just laughed and thought "It's been a while since Activision made a thing I cared about."

Me too - I have never liked Pitfall.

I did a quick search though and they do have some big name games, in particular Call Of Duty and Guitar Hero which are both v popular on Xbox 360.

jamotto
June 20th, 2009, 07:38
Interstate '76 was the only game published by Activision that was any good.

nomi
June 20th, 2009, 15:29
well Call of Duty 4: modern warfare, and Modern Warfare 2 are the 2 major games that i like from Activision... but lets see if MW 2 turns out to be nearly as good as the first...

Ultima Chocochu
June 21st, 2009, 05:53
I know Call of Duty is a big game of theirs, but I never picked it up, so I never really cared for it. Course I still think I should play it, but there were always other new/better games.
Guitar Hero is kind of dead now, they pick mostly horrible songs and just tried to rip-off Rock Band(which I wasn't hugely fond of for it's setlist).

Triv1um
June 22nd, 2009, 14:04
Activision suck. They make Modern Warefare that's it.

Activision totally KILLED Guitar Hero and made it into mainstream crap, so that's not a loss. (Although I do want GH:Metallica)

I wouldn't miss Activision.

Malksta
June 22nd, 2009, 14:36
Are Activision even developing MW2? I thought they were just publishers..

Who would care if they ditch PlayStation, as long as they do it after MW2 is released :)

Darksaviour69
June 22nd, 2009, 15:02
Well don't forget Blur from bizarre creations. Also Activision is now the biggest 3rd party publisher in the world, and not having biggest 3rd party publisher in the world (at the time EA) is the main reason the Dreamcast died. Having said that, activision will not ditch the ps3 any time soon, its a empty threat based on frustration at sony's refusal to drop the ps3 price

Ultima Chocochu
June 22nd, 2009, 21:16
Hmm, I kind of like the thought of a world without EA and maybe Activision though...mainly EA, XD

But I agree, I honestly think the man whom made the claim was acting very childish, especially for his position and age.

Eviltaco64
June 22nd, 2009, 21:59
Who will port Keystone Kapers to PS3 now? :(