PDA

View Full Version : XMB - What simply would be possible

wraggster
June 21st, 2009, 01:08
News via streetskaterfu (http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2009/06/xmb-what-simply-would-be-possible.html)

The XMB is a nice core for a lot of features but why are they not unlocked yet? To mention a few examples:

Selfmade Widgets
The PS3 uses a widget engine based on open source for the information board. So why not give us the ability to load our own homebrew widget's from external mediums or install them like themes? As they mostly use XML and flash files it wouldn't even compromise PS3's security.

Music Visualizations
The PSP has a lot of them, the PS3 only three. Next-Gen multimedia entertainment? Not really, yet.

Universal Messenger
The PSP can use Skype, why not the PS3? The PS3's messaging system is based on Jabber. It would be very simple to allow the PS3 to communicate with iCQ, Google Talk and other instant messenger protocols.

Open File Transfer
Why can we only send pictures with size limitation via the PSN while we would more like to send music files or savegames. If that uses to much ressources like traffic, then P2P would be a solution.

Session Video/Audio Streaming
We have an audio/video and textchat there. Where's the ability to stream videos or music to watch/listen them with friends over the PSN? If it's the traffic problem again, one PS3 can host a server and invite friends.

Ingame Invites
Change the game unique invitation system and do it like for example Resident Evil 5 does. Invitations via XMB, we don't need another invitation way for every game. Keep it easy.

Trophy Sync. & Compare
Every time we want to compare our trophies with friends account we need to sync them again with the server. Why not local check which trophy file changed, than comparing every file online which takes the user a lot of painful time and patience. Do a simple hash and if the hash didnt change since last sync, let it be.

XMB Music
Click the wrong option and the music stops. Why? There's no need to stop the music whily changing some settings or load a friends profile.

Ultima Chocochu
June 21st, 2009, 06:41
Actually I only have to say I disagreed with one, for only one reason.
The homebrew widget, because it could open up the PS3 to homebrew POSSIBLY which would not be good for Sony or the PS3.
I mean, sure it'd be sweet but the PSP suffered quite a bit from it so it need not happen again. The rest of the stuff would be very nice though.

Eviltaco64
June 21st, 2009, 09:43
Well, one reason that many people couldn't pirate PS3 games like they do PSP games is the large difference in size (16 GB vs. 1.6 GB). So, really, having several PS3 ISOs wouldn't be worth the effort of clearing space and the patience for terribly long downloads.

Shadowblind
June 21st, 2009, 17:12
Actually I only have to say I disagreed with one, for only one reason.
The homebrew widget, because it could open up the PS3 to homebrew POSSIBLY which would not be good for Sony or the PS3.
I mean, sure it'd be sweet but the PSP suffered quite a bit from it so it need not happen again. The rest of the stuff would be very nice though.

I can only see it being bad for Sony in terms of people creating their own backups through an backup launcher. But seriously..what percent of people out there own a Blu-Ray burner? And BD discs are about $20 a piece. Even if piracy somehow managed to be capable on the PS3, the pirate rate would be close to nothing.

Eviltaco64
June 22nd, 2009, 00:09
I can only see it being bad for Sony in terms of people creating their own backups through an backup launcher. But seriously..what percent of people out there own a Blu-Ray burner? And BD discs are about $20 a piece. Even if piracy somehow managed to be capable on the PS3, the pirate rate would be close to nothing.

You wouldn't exactly need a Blu-Ray burner and BD-R's. You'd probably be able to compress the ISO and put it on the hard drive... Not saying that's a good thing but it could easily be done.

Shadowblind
June 22nd, 2009, 03:13
You wouldn't exactly need a Blu-Ray burner and BD-R's. You'd probably be able to compress the ISO and put it on the hard drive... Not saying that's a good thing but it could easily be done.

360 hackers haven't even been able to do this with the 360 hard drive, even after hacking it. I don't see how the PS3 would be easier to boot off of, unless you talking about running it in some linux form.

Eviltaco64
June 22nd, 2009, 06:19
360 hackers haven't even been able to do this with the 360 hard drive, even after hacking it. I don't see how the PS3 would be easier to boot off of, unless you talking about running it in some linux form.

Well, if either console were fully hacked then it'd probably have a homebrew application that could add an ISO to the hard drive and rip games.