PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Independant Rating Board

DCEmu_Newsposter
October 2nd, 2004, 19:57
The Dreamcast Independant Rating Board (http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/dirb/) is a new project that aims to act as a surrogate rating board to the ESRB for all independant Dreamcast projects. The goal of this project is two-fold:[br][br]1) provide a rating system for independant projects that acts the same as the commercial game rating system - it allows people to know what they are getting before they get it in regards to violence, sex, and drugs. This way a game isn't accidently downloaded for a small child when it contains innappropriate material.[br][br]2) to provide a rating graphic for creators of cover images for independant Dreamcast games, so they don't use the copyrighted ESRB rating system graphics, and so the ratings actually mean something.[br][br]If you want to submit your game for content grading by the DIRB, please use the form on The DIRB Site (http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/dirb/).

OneThirty8
October 2nd, 2004, 21:40
I think this is an excellent idea!

toastman
October 2nd, 2004, 22:08

So do I. I think it's such a great idea that I've already submitted 2 games to be reviewed.

quzar
October 2nd, 2004, 22:32
I dont see there being a large enough base of homebrew for this to be very useful though =\. AFAIK there is no pure homebrew that would not get an E or slightly above on the ESRB rating scale.

But it is a good idea.

Eric
October 2nd, 2004, 22:47
Hey you can do it for just about anything not commercial related in the dreamcast scene

MetaFox
October 3rd, 2004, 02:05
I dont see there being a large enough base of homebrew for this to be very useful though =\. AFAIK there is no pure homebrew that would not get an E or slightly above on the ESRB rating scale.

But it is a good idea.If some of the more graphic BOR mods ever get submitted, then it the 13+ and over ratings can be used. It is true though, that most of the homebrew out there will be getting an A rating though (equivelent to E on the ESRB scale).

Also, when the DC/GP32 contest is over, there should be more software out there targeted at kids. Hence, the EL (Early Learning) rating. As our community continues to grow, and more software is be produced, more attention will be put on it. I think something like this helps to put it in the right light.

quzar
October 3rd, 2004, 02:57
Ok, i was thinking original homebrew, since usually that is the only thing you are referring to when you say homebrew, and not things like bor mods.

MetaFox
October 3rd, 2004, 04:04
Ok, i was thinking original homebrew, since usually that is the only thing you are referring to when you say homebrew, and not things like bor mods.
Yeah, that's why I made sure to word it as "independant projects" rather than homebrew. I'm trying to get away from the homebrew term anyway - independant dreamcast software sounds more professional and makes the community (I'm also trying to get away from the term "scene" and towards community) seem less like a fad, and more like a force that is here to stay.

The DIRB can be used for anything from BOR mods, to DCEvolution projects, to commercial projects such as FOF, Inhabitants, and Maqiupai.

DCDayDreamer
October 3rd, 2004, 04:36
We'd use the rating system on covers over at DCEvo for sure, one thing we could do also is make a small logo (once there's a logo that's standard ;)) to go in the IP bin file, that way if nobody bothers with the covers, they'll still see the rating on screen :).

Of course we'd have to update all the images and covers over there, it's a hard life :'( :-*. Speaking of covers (as debated in another topic), does anyone fancy coming up with a template that DCEvo could use? to get away from using licensed logos and such?

Back on track - shouldn't this topic get a sticky?

MetaFox
October 3rd, 2004, 05:25
We'd use the rating system on covers over at DCEvo for sure, one thing we could do also is make a small logo (once there's a logo that's standard ;)) to go in the IP bin file, that way if nobody bothers with the covers, they'll still see the rating on screen :).That's a good idea. :)

And the horizontally aligned graphic would be perfect for such a thing.

Here's a sample of the graphic (the one you'll be seeing the most of), rated A for all, in both horizontally and vertically aligned flavors:

http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/dirb/all.gif
http://dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com/dirb/allwide.gif

Mental2k
October 3rd, 2004, 05:29
Hmmm can someone give the dimensions required for the covers to fit? I couldn't be bothered measuring a cd cover/DC cover. Actually I'll go start a thread in the art forum.

DCDayDreamer
October 3rd, 2004, 05:35
I'll start patching the IP bin files today, and redo some of the images. Please don't expect the images to be updated overnight though, maybe over the next couple of weeks (no promises though we're real busy over there ;).

quzar
October 3rd, 2004, 06:16
Is it just me or does dirb sound like a really bad sound effect. Im thinkin like the episode of southpark where cartman pretends to be retarded "dirbb DIIrrbb" hehe. that just hit me when i saw it real big on those logos.

wraggster
October 3rd, 2004, 08:48
as soon as the comp is over ill be opening DCEmu 4 Kids, a website for the Dreamcast scene by children for children.

Infact im gonna chat to my daughter about becoming an asistant webmaster of sorts :)

Eric
October 3rd, 2004, 10:54
birb a dirb they took our jobs episode? quzar lol

tinku
October 4th, 2004, 16:19
Amazing....... like we dont know what were downloading and burning for little johnny LOL!!!!!!!

good luck rofl!!

tinku ;D

MetaFox
October 4th, 2004, 17:36
Must you be so cynical all the time, tinku? It's rather frustrating. >:(

It's more relevant than you might think. There's often hidden innuendos stuck in that you wouldn't know were there unless you played it. The DIRB will put an end to that.

I have two kids that I like to play the DC with, and it's really kind of embarassing when I throw in a game (like megaman War of the Past) that should be somewhat innocent, and ok for the kids to play, and it turns out that every character has sexual connotation in its name (like thingy, etc.).

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2005, 18:29
We use the DIRB rating badge on our new covers over at DCEvolution but I missed this whole discussion back then - will the board be back soon?

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=f;action=display;num=1117477043

rmedtx
May 31st, 2005, 18:49
I agree, Great idea!