PDA

View Full Version : Joost for Playstation 3

wraggster
June 23rd, 2009, 22:00
The PS3 offers more than just games and Blu-ray movies: it is also an excellent online media center. Online video service Joost has recently introduced their PS3 interface, which is yet another good addition to the PS3 media experience.

Joost was created by Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis, who founded Skype and Kazaa. Joost features only professional videos: music videos, tv series, movies, sports, news and more. Joost’s partners include CBS, Viacom (including Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon), Sony Pictures Television and the Warner Bros. Television Group.

When I started using Joost in May 2007, it worked with a desktop player based on peer-to-peer TV technology. In December 2008, Joost became a flash-based, download-free global web video service. Recently Joost introduced a PS3 interface at Joost Labs which can be accessed with the PS3’s internet browser. The Joost PS3 interface fully operates with just the directional buttons of the PS3 controller and the x button. Using the up and down directional buttons you can browse videos and using the left and right button you can access more info or open a menu that enabled you to open the list of staff picks, popular video or similar videos to the one you are currently watching. It also has a music mash option, that allows you to type in an artist and get videos of that artist and similar ones.

One of the things I miss in the current Joost PS3 interface is the option to log into my Joost account to watch the videos on my favorites list or to add new videos to it. But I guess this will be introduced eventually. Furthermore, not all of Joost’s video content is available on PS3, due to agreements that have to be made with some of the partners.

But I see the Joost PS3 interface as a great addition: great content, no need to install anything and all for free. Have you used Joost for PS3 yet? What do you think?

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/06/23/joost-for-playstation-3/