PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Controller Pinout Help

Frodo Teabaggins
June 24th, 2009, 02:36
I just got Ben Heckendorn's book about console modding to help me make a portable Dreamcast (Seriously, I went from "What's a CNC machine?" to "I wanna try a CNC machine!") While it does not cover the Dreamcast, it is very useful to a newbie modder like me. There is one problem.

I tried googling the controller button pinout for the Dreamcast, and nothing came up.

Can someone give me a link to such thing? Otherwise, some advice would be awseome:)

BlueCrab
June 24th, 2009, 04:56
A pinout for the connector used by the Dreamcast is available here (http://mc.pp.se/dc/controller.html), but I don't really know if its going to help all that much. Because of the way that data is transmitted from the peripherals to the Dreamcast (and vice-versa), its pretty much impossible for a normal person to make a Dreamcast controller without cannibalizing a controller for the interface hardware.

The rest of Marcus' website has all kinds of fun Dreamast-related stuff, including detailed information on the wire protocol used by devices attached to the Dreamcast. Its pretty much the best source of information outside of Sega's own documents (which of course would be illegal for you to obtain).

Frodo Teabaggins
June 27th, 2009, 16:40
Hmm...This does look like there would be a connection from this to the controller board...Either that, or I don't need a pinout chart to add controls to my project...This is confusing to me, so bear with me.

You say you don't think it will help much, but what will help me add controls to my portable?