PDA

View Full Version : Sweet MBoard/CPu Deal! (but need lil help)

RedKing14CA
April 6th, 2006, 02:16
EDIT:
alright, im buying a 1GB stick of ram (right now, im hoping to get another later)

it is here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1071020&Sku=ULT31664

The Mother Board and Processor i want are here:
its asus and i know its a celeron, but its CHEAP

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1819500&Sku=MBM-P4V8X-MX-340

But for $5 more i can get an "MST" mobo with a 3.06 GHZ processor:
HERE: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1697050&Sku=MBM-PM8MV-345

i am still unsure of AMD but i finally found an AMD Sempron:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1951823&Sku=MBM-8KRAI-3300

please take a look, and tell me if its bettter than both the other deals, its only $15 more..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1644629&Sku=MBM-P4M800-340

Thats the motherboard i am thinking about getting... im building my own computer!

I already have a 40GB HDD, a Tower with Power supply, and a Video Card (NVidia g-force 64mb 3000 [i know, im upgrading to 5900 or 6600 GT])

I just need a Mother Board, Proccessor, and RAM!!!

I'm going to get 512MB PC3200 DDR 400mMHz RAM ($14.99 :D ) and then my father said he can get a 512MB DDR stick... but i think its PC266 RAM (or some such)

Now... my first question... would I be able to Have two different sticks plugged in (different speeds, different PC [3200 vs 266], and different brands) at the same time to make 1GB of ram? or instead of spending 14.99 on the 512MB pc 3200 with 400mhz and $30 on the unknown 512MB stick, should i buy the 1024MB PC3200 400MHz stick for $49.99?

I am also noticing the 1024 stick description says " Pins - 184"

my second question is much simpler...

The MBoard i showed above says its a socket 478... it comes with a processor... the socket 478 is the processor socket... right? so that shouldnt matter?

i also do not have any cords/ wires/ or cables... so im hoping everything comes with those :confused:

i feel like a total noob, but this is the best way to learn right??

sorry if i posted in the wrong forum, i was going to post in Off-Topic but i say Hardware... heheh....

Thx for your help and support DCemU!!!!

Tomlo
April 6th, 2006, 03:29
First off, Intel Yuck...
(Sorry im an AMD Fanboy)

Your going to need to buy a CPU fan that works with that processor if you dont have one already. Dont forget the other common stuff like cd-drives, a monitor, or a keyboard and mouse but im assuming you have or are getting those.

With ram the speeds of the sticks must match. If not they will find a common speed the, PC 3200 will slow down to PC 2100 speeds to match that other stick if you decide to go that way. If I were you I would buy two sticks of PC 3200 instead of a 1gig stick this way you can run your ram at pc3200 speeds and the ram would run Dual-Channel provided that motherboard supports it and most do nowadays but check this on the motherboards manufacturers page. You cannot run two different sticks dual channel they have to be identical, running ram dual channel offers a great boost in performance and with that mobo and cpu it would be a very wise addition.

Most motherboards come with a cd with drivers, one IDE cable, One Floppy cable, and a plate for the back of your case, and not always with a manual but usually.

And yes the processor and motherboard should work together or it wouldnt be much of a bundle would it.

Also make sure your powersupply has enough watts, and remeber when working on your new pc to take your time and think things through if you get frustrated like I always do take a break and relax.

RedKing14CA
April 6th, 2006, 03:43
Heheh.... yeah i have Monitors/ Mice/ and... i can find a cd drive somewhere...

Thx for all the advice... right now im running a 512 stick and a 256 stick (768 total)...

and i have a g-force 6600 running on a 4x agp motherboard with only 1.69GHZ....

Sorry, but they had no AMD Bundles... if you find one though, ILL BUY IT (if its below $75, lol....) i like AMD too... and i have an intel right now... 1.69ghz... heheh....

i was thinking i might get the 1 gig stick now for 49.99 and then buy another later.. i only have $150 to pay for a halo party, and then this... so with the MBoard and Processor being $70 and the RAM being $50 i have $30 to spend on Halo party junK!

and runing two 1gig sticks would be better than two 512, eh?

lol... im hoping to also get an NVidia GeForce 5900 (video in/ out, YAY!!!) or 6600 GT (overclocked to da max!!!)

but i wont be upgrading the HDD anytime soon... 40GB is enough for me...

int the end im hoping to have spent only around $300.... good opposed to the $2000 computer Dell had with 2.80 Ghz (intel, PLEH!!), 1gb ram, Ge force 6800 and some sorta sound card too....

Which reminds me, do i need a sound card or does this motherboard have a USABLE one built in... i read about 6 channel sound... on the page.... i COULD just run it without sound... LOL.... i have PC speakers, a Monitor, a mouse... working on keyboard and CDR drive....

thx for the help.... can i keep this thread open and post pics and such of the PC being built, or does EVERYONE already know EVERYTHING about this... i KNOW i dont... and it'd be kinda kool and helpful... make me feel special anyways :P

ptr.exe
April 6th, 2006, 12:43
Why go with Intel? Yucky.

Get a nice AMD socket 939 motherboard and you'll be much happier. Also, that motherboard is a piece of crap, get a well known brand (MSI Asus Abit).

You know that motherboard is AGP8x? You should really get PCIe if you plan on buying a new graphics card anyway.

Get the 6600GT, don't bother with getting a 5XXX series. You'll soon find they don't particularly like DirectX9 much, and the 6600 is a much better card anyway.

If you need help then this is a site that really helped me when I built my first PC (http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/) - I've always built it myself after that. Their forums are really good aswell, with a section to post your specs before you actually buy anything.

semicolo
April 6th, 2006, 13:39
I Love AMD but Intel is ok.
Beware this motherboard has an old socket, it means no cpu upgrade and it's got an older agp video port.
As Ptr stated PCIe would be a better choice.
With modern motherboards two ram sticks are better than just one, it kinda doubles the ram bandwidth.

ptr.exe
April 6th, 2006, 20:39
With modern motherboards two ram sticks are better than just one, it kinda doubles the ram bandwidth.
It doesn't double but it does increase. Get some decent RAM as well, a nice named brand like Corsair or Crucial. Corsair Value is really good for the money and can run in dual channel with good timings. I got 1GB (2x 512MB) Corsair Value DDR400 CL2.5 for only £25 off eBay brand new :D

Personally, I wouldn't bother with that motherboard though if you intend to play new games or wanna upgrade any time soon. That motherboard has no PCIe, only SATA not SATA2, and doesn't support dual channel RAM.

Then again $70 for a mobo and CPU is well cheap, and is probably worth getting if you aren't going to play many games (it's a celeron) and don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

Tomlo
April 8th, 2006, 04:47
Well he did say that he was on a budget and eventhough a socket 939 and PCI-E is the next path in the upgrade they are still expensive. I would recomend getting a Nvidia Nforce2 ultra chipset on a socket A motherboard with an Athlon XP and buy some DDR sticks to run dual channel, with a Socket A you would be supprised that new games still run fine and you could upgrade to a Geforce 7800gs and still play new games for the next year or two. Possibly you could go for a Socket 754 compromise, If you can afford you can still get an athlon 64 and PCI-E but I highly doubt you could buy a socket 939 on a $300 budget.

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 12:38
Well right now i have socket 478, 4x AGP, 768 MB of PC133 Ram, 260GB HDD, a 1.69Ghz Intel... i dont know much about my MBoard and processor becase it came with this crappy dell five years ago... so i am uprading...

I would get an AMD 64 but i only have like $140 at the moment... all im getting is Ram, MBoard, and Processor... added up with the cpu, mobo, and ram.. its going to be $120... then in about two months im going to get an overclocked GeForce 6600GT $70-130 (used froma friend).... after that im hoping to get another 1 GB stick of RAM (price unknown... hopefully it will be $300..

by the way, i found an ASUS with the same specs (and a littel better) with the same processor for the same price...

Tomlo
April 10th, 2006, 22:09
What ever you do dont get THIS sempron combo:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1951823&Sku=MBM-8KRAI-3300

My friend just got two and they are complete junk, they first off misread the sempron as a regular TB Athlon and force it to 100fsb even after changing the BIOS but they overheat soo much you can fry an egg on the cpu heatsink. Dont get me wrong semprons are sweet in fact im using one now but the mobo is complete junk, get a motherboard with a Nvidia chipset dont get any VIA for a sempron.

Since your on a buget I would get this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1819091&CatId=188
(But im not a huge fan of mATX mobos)

So I would shop www.newegg.com, TigerDirect doesnt have as nearly as much selection and it is often overpriced junk but every once in a while they have good deals.

And remember you HAVE to get a compatible cpu fan, dont forget to...

Also Having an 8x agp mobo and card offer NO performance gains in games in comparison to 4x, only slighty faster loading screens if you think this upgrade will get you alot more performance in games your mistaken you will probally not notice any significant difference from the faster processor and ram until you upgrade the video card and even then only in games that rely heavily on the cpu.

If I where you I would strongly consider a socket A sempron, dont be fooled by intels Ghz mind game, an AMD chip running at 2Ghz will out perform an intel running at almost 3Ghz usually and Semperons Overclock like nuts on top of that, in my mind with amd you get much more performance for your cash...

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 22:39
Well.. right now dude, im running a standard Geforce 6600 256 ddr with 8x agp at factory settings.... a 1.69 GHZ intel processor.... my motherboard is 5 years old... and 768MB pc 133 ram....

what i will end up with with whatever cpu/mobo... a geforce 6600 GT, 128 ddr3,with 8x agp, over clocked, anywhere from 2.0 GHZ amd to 3.06 ghz intel (a whole 1.37 ghz increase, or .31 ghz increase with AMD) and 2GB DDR pc3200 Ram.. (x2 1024)

so then the $89.00 AMD with the cpu is better than the 84.99 one? ok... and with the above specs (i am upgrading the vid card) wont i see a rather large performance increase? i should have twice the power... thats what im hoping for.. kinda.. doubling everything...

but they dont make a geforce 13200GPu vid card, and i dont have that kind of money, so i cant get a vid card twice is powerful, but im going from a STANDARD 6600 256 ddr1 to an OVER CLOCKED 6600 GT with 128 ddr3!!!

that will give me performance, aye?

edit:

also my cpu teacher keeps telling me the 4x agp mobo witht he 8x agp cid card would bottle neck the power... he said id only be able to run it at half of what it should... so ill also have 8x agp instead of 4x.. i was also told this by a gamer friend of mine who builds pc's.... so... i kinda beleive 'em... and if they're wrong, then woohoo, faster load time is good too!

edit: thank you for all your help, ive always wanted a gaming machine, as you can tell mine was supposedly for gaming but cant even play doom 3 at lowest settings at a decent fps... so i am finally being able to construct a gaming machine, even if it is not the best... im just hoping to be able to have twice the power of my old machine (the one im typing with now, LOL) and dreaming to run doom 3 and quake 4 and highest settings... but im content with medium... right now i cant even run it with every adanced setting turned off and the res at 640/480... the frame rate will drop to like 5....

so thank you very much for the help!!! please understand what i am doing... i dont want the best... just an acceptional gaming machine for my budget...

ptr.exe
April 10th, 2006, 23:17
Well he did say that he was on a budget and eventhough a socket 939 and PCI-E is the next path in the upgrade they are still expensive. I would recomend getting a Nvidia Nforce2 ultra chipset on a socket A motherboard with an Athlon XP and buy some DDR sticks to run dual channel, with a Socket A you would be supprised that new games still run fine and you could upgrade to a Geforce 7800gs and still play new games for the next year or two. Possibly you could go for a Socket 754 compromise, If you can afford you can still get an athlon 64 and PCI-E but I highly doubt you could buy a socket 939 on a $300 budget.
I'm still running a socket A on an MSI nForce2 board, love socket A :D

The price difference between socket A and 754 is negligable, you can buy a Athlon 64 3200+ for ~£100, and then a decent mobo for £40. The price for socket A is pretty much the same, so you may as well go with skt 754.

edit: Also, the difference between 4x and 8x is negligable, the bandwidth really doesnt make that much of a difference in terms of performance. Google 4x vs 8x to find a load of tests proving that it makes very little difference.

RedKing14CA
April 10th, 2006, 23:22
alright, well thats settled.. now which CPU/ MOBO combo should i get... lol.... 1.36ghz increas with intel... or should i be a good gamer and which to 2.0ghz amd sempron?

ptr.exe
April 11th, 2006, 00:32
Never get Sempron/Duron/Celeron, any of that budget crap isn't for games. Possibly a Sempron would do if you really need to save some cash, but best to get a proper Athlon.

If you're going with socket 754:

Athlon 64 3400+ £105 (OEM) (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18090456264&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=104494)

AMD Sempron 3000+ £57 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=94647) (if you wanna save a few quid)

Asus K8N Socket-754 nForce3 £43 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=74703)

Sorry thats a UK site but I don't know any good US sites.

You could save a bit by getting a 3200 Athlon 64, and that motherboard was like the first one I saw that looked okay so you may wanna look around for a better/cheaper one. That Athlon CPU and mobo comes to roughly $260 USD, you could save a bit with getting the Sempron or getting a cheaper motherbaord. Just make sure you get a good brand (MSI, Asus, ECS) of motherboard and read reviews to check it's a good motherboard.

Make sure you post on an actual PC forum before you buy stuff as people with give you more detailed advice when it comes to components, that one i linked to earlier is a really good site with a lot of knowledgable people.

RedKing14CA
April 11th, 2006, 01:01
I cant afford $260 all at once.. i only have $130 right now.. and the processor/mobo im getting has to be this price without rebates.. with rebates im hoping for $70-$50 to get a 1gb stick of ddr 400mhz pc3200 ram with...

i kinda jus tneed to know which would be better for gaming, the mobo with the sempron, or the mobo with the intel...

or if you can find a better mobo/cpu pack for $60-90 (120-130$ without rebate)

thank you... i understand the athlon is better for gaming, but not for price...

RedKing14CA
April 11th, 2006, 01:58
:'(

Tomlo
April 11th, 2006, 13:40
Well you can either wait for a socket 754 or buy a socket A now.

You could buy an Athlon XP but since they havent been made in a while your best bet is a sempron, Basically all a sempron is a renamed Athlon Thoroughbred. An athlon xp is usually an Athlon Barton. The only differences between this chips is the barton has 512 L2 Cache and the Thoroughbred has 256 L2 Cache (Same as that intel celeron) also the barton is meant to run at 400FSB and the Thoroughbred is meant to run at 333FSB but it can easily be overclocked WAY past 400 if your motherboard can handle it.

Dont get me wrong if you see an athlon xp you can afford pick it up but I highly doubt that the sempron will be holding back significant FPS in games.
(I have heard it is much easier to find an athlon xp in the uk, but in USA its very expensive you can buy 2-3 semprons for the same price)

Keep in mind that socket A although its awsome and we all love it is more outdated everyday but I dont think socket 754 is a good step. I think soon socket 754 will get gobbled up by socket 939 as its prices go down. I think your best option it to buy a socket A now and upgrade to socket 939 when its cheaper and you have cash to spend on a better rig.

RedKing14CA
April 20th, 2006, 15:58
Wow, thank you SO much for the help. YOu guys are awsome.

I found a celeron D 2.93 GHz with a much muxh better mobo. socket 775 and same price as the other package i wanted with the celeron...

i know intel is t3h suxX0rz but it has a much better mobo than what the sempron had... thx for your help

is here if you want to tell me how suxX0rz it is, i haven't ordered yet if there is something wrong (besides it being intel) please tell me...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1819509&CatId=1599
atleast i think thats it....

I couldn't find the FSB spead and im a retard so i dont know what cache is for :(

semicolo
April 20th, 2006, 19:04
seems good to me, you can upgrade the cpu/video card later.
You just need to know this about cache memory : The more you get, the better (in fact it's high speed memory embedded on the processor or the motherboard)

RedKing14CA
April 21st, 2006, 00:55
256k... i know... :( that sux? But... is it still a good deal...

RedKing14CA
April 21st, 2006, 00:56
I have the friggan credit card in my hand :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: IM FREEKIN OUT.... :confused: so confused... the cache isnt too much of a problem.... i was going to upgrade to a Pentium D 3.2 GHz with hopefully a 600 FSB and clock it up to 3.8GHz with 833FSB... 2MB cache... but that wont be until next year

Tomlo
April 24th, 2006, 21:17
Well you should be atleast doubling the power anyway you go...
Just dont buy that epox AMD motherboard.

A 6600GT is much more powerful than a normal 6600 I belive it has almost twice the pixel pipelines and the ddr3 would make it (256-bit? or is it 128-bit? - not sure...) over the 6600's 64-bit (YUCK!).

The only difference between agp 4x and agp 8x is it offers twice the bandwith to the card the extra bandwidth allows textures to move from the main ram to the video ram faster, this only offers half as much time on loading screens. Their is a performance loss using 4x instead of 8x but it has been estimated by most experts at about less the 5% varying on different cards. The only thing that you would need to worry about is the CPU bottlenecking the video card.

I dont think that its your current videocard holding back on doom3 it should be able to play it at med-high settings and its not the amount of ram its the PC133 ram bandwidth, the mobo, and the cpu. After this upgrade you probally could play doom3 maxed out.

RedKing14CA
May 1st, 2006, 20:23
w00t!! THx..

I recently got my ASUS Mobo in the mail with the 2.93 GHz Celeron D (i know... YUCK-Intel, and Celerons SUX)

Im sending in the rebate today, and when i get it back i'll be buying the ram, and then the CPU fan...

semicolo
May 2nd, 2006, 14:00
Don't be so hard with intel, their cpu's are good (but yes celeron are worse because of the fewer cache)

RedKing14CA
May 3rd, 2006, 03:43
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23804

go here, i dont know if ill be able to build this, but thx for all you guys'z help!!

RedKing14CA
May 18th, 2006, 16:14
I went to a special chirpopracter dude, you know, holistic medicine... im ok, 'cept all the scars :(

I got my mobo and cpu like i said, i also have my Hardrive and a geforce 3 to hold me until i get my 6600 :D.. i got a copy of windows XP from my mum :P... and i'm buying a case from a local computer shop, along with the 1GB pc3200 400MHz DDR Ram that went up $30 cuz the damn PS3....

I bought this CPu fan
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1520398

I'm going to pick up the case and ram and case on friday, there we will put it together the pc :D

RedKing14CA
June 26th, 2006, 08:40
i put it together months ago.. i oc'ed the cpu to 3.3GHz, i have a geforce 3 Ti 200, and a stick of 1024 DDR pc 3200 ram... 450 watt power supply, a 20 and 40GB hd (and a 12GB for storage) integrated 6 channel audio...

i was trying to upgrade my video card, but yes, it is true... AGP is dead....

i got this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330001459178&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
and now im looking for a video card... after that, i'm getting a new mouse (dell wired optical, YUCK) and dvd burner...

coming along nicely.... coolign sucks.. after i get Vid card, DVD burner, and mouse, i'm going to get the Pentium D 805, so i can OC to 3.5Ghz, then i'm going water cooled to OC to 4.0GHZ!!!!

oh.. yeah!

Tomlo
June 28th, 2006, 00:43
lol I see you have gotten the addiction like all of us, Never happy with what you got and always have to go better...

matthewmcg
July 6th, 2006, 15:08
like i alwAys say avoid intel at all costs amd are better value, that memory aint too pretty neither high latency and low bandwidth. im guessing you on a budget so i'll sugest to yoyu the best way to get the most for your money. you must always consentrate mostly on the motherboard as it decides your computing future. i reccommend a 939 asus board a8n32, buy an amd socket 939 athlon 64 3200. be sure to give it decent cooling and with decent cooling you should be able to get 2.8 to 3.0 clocks with it and that will defeat anything intel can ever have on the budget front. on graphics i reccomend on a budget to go for a 7600gt because they can bet powerful on its own and always have room for adding another later to have sli. for memory i reccommend 2 corsair xms 1gbs twinx 2-3-2-6 or 2-3-3-6. you should go for at least a 500w power supply that has lots of connections for later. i reccommend a cold case with an exhaust fan at the back for a well cooled passive invironment. and remember if you need to know anything about computer assembly or components im the one to ask ok?

RedKing14CA
July 11th, 2006, 02:16
Yes, you know what your talking about, and YES i really wanted a 939 3500+ with pci-e, but i only had 80$ and all the deals for Athlons at the time were 99-120$ and came with crappy mobos.... and semprons were 85-90$ and also cam with crappy mobos.... my friend was going to sell me his 6600GT AGP 8x, but then when i said "ok.. so 100$" he freaked out and was like "WHAT, i cant sell it for that!!!" when they are 130$ on most sites... (with cool Doom 3 art! lol)

So right now, i bought and installed that ECS EliteGroup 915P-A Hybrid Mobo for 45$.... And i bought a BRAND NEW PCI-e 6600LE with 256MB DDR for 30$ to hold me until i can get the 6800XT or 6800GT...

I just bought a 80GB SATA Hard Drive (with my current mobo, it only has a place for 1 IDE cable, so im running without a CD-Rom.. and my IDE HD's go SLOOOW) next im going to buy an 80mm 4000RPM intake front fan (current is 2050RPM)

Then im going to put the 2050 RPM right above my video card until i can buy a 120MM with a blue LED to but above the card... all it has now is a giant heatsync, and with a fan, i figure i can OC it..

Going ok, plays source games fine at Max settings (23-36FPS with all settings, including anti-aliasing, and antistrphic 4x filtering whatever that is)
plays Quake 4 and Doom 3 great at high settings... (not so great at max)

Here it is, the BUDGET-MACHINA

MAIN
1GB PC3200 DDR RAM (x1 stick)
775 Celeron D 2.93 GHz (OC'd to 3.3GHz)
PCI-e GeForce 6600LE 256MB
450 Watt Macron low noise power supply

OTHER
Thermaltake Golden Orb II solid copper CPu fan
120MM 2700 RPM exhaust fan
80MM 2050RPM silent intake fan
10/100MBPS PCI VIA fast compatible Ethernet card

STORAGE
40GB Seagate 7200RPM IDE HD
20GB Seegate IDE HD

Coming soon- 80GB and 4000RPM front intake fan

Current Total Cost 320$ (including SATA HD)

Budget gaming :D