PDA

View Full Version : PS3 FW 2.8 == ORP Block

wraggster
June 24th, 2009, 23:09
News via streetskaterfu

Firmware 2.8 just became available for retail users to download and update their PlayStation 3 system. Now Dashhacker (the developer of Open Remote Play) gave a statement that the new firmware blocks his application. The video stream will only work like for 30-60 seconds as he mentions:

As some of you may already know, Sony has blocked Open Remote Play as of PS3 firmware v2.80, June 24th. At this time, ORP will no longer work for longer than about 30 - 60 seconds. I've only looked at the problem for a few minutes but it seems that they've "poisoned" the video stream by some means rather than changing the keys or cryptography. I'll study what they've done and patch FFmpeg within the next... week? month? Not too sure how long it'll be before I can undo Sony's greedy brain damage. I'll post any progress here as I muddle through it.

Why patch a useful application which does not even affect PS3's security in general? We don't know.

- SKFU

http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2009/06/ps3-fw-28-orp-block.html

jxx2005
June 24th, 2009, 23:21
what else is in this update?

sorceror
June 25th, 2009, 15:52
what else is in this update?

Not much. Allegedly, trophies and trophy comparisons load faster.

Man, Sony's paranoid. Blocking BD-J homebrew, and now ORP. I just can't see how any of those would have threatened their business... :confused: