PDA

View Full Version : Windows CE ?

dcdood
June 26th, 2009, 16:34
I Saw a Windows CE SDK Online (download) , now i haven't downloaded yet, but i am curious...

How Legal is it to make a game w/ Windows CE?

If anything is it legal to use the tools (if there are any tools i can come back to work with in KOS)

--

Basically i wanted it to A) Make Dreamcast Programs, and then B) Upconvert it to DirectX 9...

also its easier to debug the game code since i dont have a BBA\Coders Cable ...

----

Please Mods, i'm not trying to be illegal , so dont ban me,... (if there was a grovelling smiley i would totally put it here :P ) thanks

Darksaviour69
June 26th, 2009, 19:55
Basicly making homebew with windows CE is a no, no. Ok some of the first homebrew was made with windows ce, but there is a legal mumbo-jumbo about it all etc, best stick with KOS

BlueCrab
June 27th, 2009, 02:44
It is 100% illegal to download and use the WinCE development kit to do development for the Dreamcast without a license. You'd be violating the copyrights of several companies by doing so.

Not only that, but its probably harder to debug WinCE no matter how you slice it, as nobody in the community uses it, so nobody will be able to help you. Also, there's no way you're going to be able to use DirectX 9.

(Disclaimer: I did work for Microsoft for two summers, but this is not the advice of Microsoft, it is my own personal advice, given with no warranty to its accuracy)

dcdood
June 27th, 2009, 04:17
DirectX 9 was for a PC Edition of that software... but i understand completly about the legalties of it!

Darksaviour69
June 27th, 2009, 19:57
I think "The Gypsy" who did some homebrew with wince had a licence for it or something, so that was legal (but it was not legal to distribute the lib you need for it)