PDA

View Full Version : NES v3? - Nintendo Emulator for iPhoneOS 3.0

wraggster
June 28th, 2009, 20:58
NES v3 emulates the hardware in a Nintendo entertainment system, allowing you to play ROM images on your iPhone. NES v3 was a complete rewrite of this popular emulator for iPhoneOS v3.0 (although it should also run on v2.x). There are many public domain, home-brew games available which have been written for the Nintendo platform, and depending on your country of origin, you may be entitled to play images of commercial games which you rightfully own.

The author does not condone the illegal piracy of copyrighted Nintendo games, and provides no support in obtaining or using pirated images.

In order to use NES.app, you will need ROM images of games written for the Nintendo Entertainment System platform. ROM images are files containing the dumped instruction code from a physical cartridge, or compiled code from a public domain / home-brew game. In some cases, and based on your location, you may be legally entitled to posess a ROM image of a game that you presently own. *

Features
Multitouch: Use the directional pad + A + B, or other combinations
Light Gun "Tap": Tap objects on the screen to shoot them
Full Screen: Enlarge your NES picture to the max possible
Save State: Save an instant snapshot of your game and come back to it later
Game Genie: Use Game Genie cheat codes
Landscape and Portrait Modes: Just tilt the iPhone
... and many more

http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/nesapp/

Ziim
June 29th, 2009, 06:35
First and Foremost I would like to THANK Nervegas for coding this NES.app. Most of my gaming time on the iPhone is spent playing NES.

THANK YOU!

However the recent choice to sell the app for US $5.99 is not right. NES.app uses an emulator core called NESCore, which has been forked from pNESx and InfoNES and re-engineered as a high-performance and highly-portable Nintendo emulator core. InfoNES, which in its turn is based on pNESx, are both open source NES emulators.
Open source emulators should have their sources posted, which use to be the case before 3.0 and the $5.99 pricetag.

I have purchased NES3! As I stated earlier NES is my favorite app. Im considering it a well deserved donation for your time which I know is not free. It is also NOT my attention to piss anyone off. Please dont stop working on NES.app!
I do hope that the app is made free again at some point so all Jailbreakers can enjoy classic Nintendo games on their phone. I also hope that the source is made available again if its based on open source emulators.

For anyone not willing to take the six dollar plunge heres a quick review of the app.
It the same as the last 2.x versions, I have not noticed any speed improvements from the rewrite. I hope when i get a 3GS that the app will perform at FULL SPEED without the little hiccups it has. I still recommend it for any NES fans.

Edit for misspells