PDA

View Full Version : Mapping for Iris

Produkt
April 8th, 2006, 20:00
This tutorial uses Id Software's GTK Radiant 1.4.0 for map creation and Q3Radiant Build 202 for map compiling.

Files and Software required:
Quake 3 Arena: Gold edition Avalible at Wal-Mart stores for 10 dollars. (this isnt fully required but the alternative is more difficult.)
GTKRadiant 1.4.0 avalible: Here (http://qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_id=76)
Q3Radiant Build 202: Here (http://qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_id=4)
Iris Build: Here (http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/files/Iris_Build_0.1.rar)
Iris Example Map files: Here (http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/iris_example_maps.rar)

Make sure Quake 3, GKT Radiant, and Q3Radiant are installed.

then extract the iris textures to your quake 3 baseq3/textures folder, it may be simmilar to this "c:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\baseq3\textures" you "may" have to create the textures folder if its not there.

extract the 2 maps from the example rar to where ever you want.
now that that is settled we will begin the tutorial.

Open up GTK Radiant 1.4.0 In Quake III Arena mode. Now, up in the task bar click on file > Open. navigate to where you extracted the example maps and open iris_example.map

http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_01.gif

We will use this example map to get you oriented with the mapping proccess for Iris 0.1 if you notice the "brushes" are sized at 64x64. This is a safe size to reduce the on screen clipping errors (its there a small triangular piece of the map randomly dissapears and you cant see it) Closer to the ceiling you see shorter brushes which are fine because they are smaller not lager than 64x64

The double triangular prisms (as I call them) are light entites, you have 2 of them in that room. There is also the Red box with an arrow, which is a player start, The Health cross is there to give the player more health... never tested how much...

Any way. to begin lets go aheand and start by adding another room. but in order to have a room lets nock out a wall to make a hallway.

In the 3d view hold down the shift button and click on the boxes you wish to select. remember you can drag the mouse over the boxes to make a continual selection.

once you select the four boxes you should have something like this.
http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_02.gif

now that they are selected we want to deleat them, press the "backspace" key. now they are nice and gone, we want to continue making the halway correct? well since this is a simple square tile system, lets make it simple and copy some of the existing wall brushes and pase them into place.

when you copy it will duplicate the currently selected brushes, when you paste them, the new brushes will appear in the exact same place that the original ones were in. now that you have duplicated your brushes you want to click inside the rex outlined box in ither the 3d or 3d box and click and drag it to the new location. do this over and over untill you have created a 4 tile walkway like this

http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_03.gif

now that we have our hallway, lets go ahead and make the new room, for times sake, lets just duplicate the room we already have be doing the shift click method again, remember to get the lights aswell, we want to be able to see when we play the map.

http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_04.gif

Now you want to copy paste the selected area so that you can get your new room made! but how do you rotate this you ask! thats simple up on the taskbar you will see a button with a z and a turn arrow turning the z to look like an N press that button 2 times and you should have this

http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_05.gif

your map is well there, but with those textures everything just looks the same. Now its time to go about texturing your map. first off we will learn a new selecting method which is ctrl+shift+click this will allow you to select only the face texture, unlike the regular shift click you can only click once, but you can still drag the mouse to pick up more face. lets start with the floor

http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_06.gif

With all of those selected you want to press the "T" key to open up the texture window, now, we dont have a floor texture so lets get one. up in the task bar select texture and go down to assorter>assorted_floor this will load up the floor texture in your texture window. with the floor still selected click ont he sand texture in the texture window, and your floor texture will change. try to make your map a little more appealing by adding more things. like the trim on the floor

http://www.half-there.uni.cc/psp/iris/tutorials/Iris_mapping_tut_07.gif

You know know how to create maps, now lets compile one, Save your current map under what ever name you wish, I chose "iris_example_2.map" once you have saved it close GTK Radiant 1.4.0 and then open up Q3Radiant, go a head and open up your map again in this editor, now you are ready to compile, on the taskbar you will find something that says "BSP" click on the option "bsp_fullvis" this will open up a series of command promps which will compile your map, this should take about 10-20 seconds on an average computer.

Once this is all done navigate to your "quake III arena\baseq3\" folder and locate the "maps" folder inside there you should find a .bsp file with the same name as your map, go ahead and copy that file to your maps folder for iris.

get your psp going and run your map in iris and enjoy!

PSPHax0r9
April 8th, 2006, 20:16
Wow thank you for this detailed tutorial. I have been thinking about the possibilty of an Iris mod that might be pretty damn cool. All I need is some time. Once I release my LUA game I will get working on this and see how I do!

Malksta
April 8th, 2006, 21:01
man i need quake3 start mappin for iris
maybe make a mod

Produkt
April 8th, 2006, 21:10
I said it isnt fully required, I'm going to have an alternative when iris 0.15 comes...

Zeemon
April 8th, 2006, 21:29
Thankyou! I've been waiting for something like this!

But is it really worth it? Because the new Iris will have lots of different needs and capabilities, won't it? Plus, how is the MDK coming along? Will it be ready by Iris v0.15?

Thanks again!

nightmare666
April 8th, 2006, 21:46
ok whin i compile my map it gives me an .bak directory not an .bsp what am i doing wrong.

Produkt
April 8th, 2006, 22:06
The MDK is a collection of files, alot of them are under GPL's which makes them easy to distrubute, but difficult to make a single installer for them all... so best you would get is a bunch of links or a zip of installers... I'll see what I can manage inside the rules of the GPL...

nightmare send me your msn info and I'll add you get your .map file ready so I can look at it.

hankvonhelvete
April 8th, 2006, 22:34
and textures. is it possible to just make some in ps and put em in texturesfolder.?

nightmare666
April 8th, 2006, 22:38
hey produckt did you get my pm

Produkt
April 8th, 2006, 22:50
Hank: Textures need to be 24bit TGAs in RGB mode with a maximum of 256 colors

Nightmare: yes

PSPdemon
April 8th, 2006, 23:42
Now people have the neccesary tool to make a map for iris... now i hope to see some more user created mods!!! :D

anyway, nice tutorial Produkt :)

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Produkt
April 9th, 2006, 00:22
for iris 0.15 I will be dropping a bunch of different sample maps for you to learn how to do things. Hopefully it will be enough of an example that you can continue working from there.

PSPtwister
April 9th, 2006, 03:24
so produkt......when iris .15 is out,you'll make a possible way to make iris maps without quake 3?

Produkt
April 9th, 2006, 03:46
There is a way its just difficult to do without alot of explaining...

I'll have the package distributed when Iris 0.15 is release, yes

PSPtwister
April 9th, 2006, 03:50
thank you very much produkt.......i can't wait to start making maps....its gonna be really fun!!!!

stotheamuel
April 9th, 2006, 06:33
imma make one :D

and is that a health icon i see mmm mmm

Infernux
April 9th, 2006, 10:21
great tutorial, ive made maps for counter strike source before, on a scale from 1 to 10, how close is the program to that of the source sdk?

Produkt
April 9th, 2006, 12:47
Valve's Hammer Editor (source uses version 4.sumthin) is in the same concept as GTK Radiant, the only thing different is you have to remember shortcut keys, aswell as brush creation and manipulation is slightly different.

I sugest you read up on quake 3 mapping if you want to get ready for Iris 0.15 and fool around with the program as much as you can! Also read those help files that come with radiant, they give you information about the shortcut commands that is really helpfull

lildude9232
April 10th, 2006, 19:18
can you use the mapping program unreal tournament 2k4 comes with to make maps?? :confused: :confused:

Produkt
April 11th, 2006, 00:14
no you cannot, the unreal format is much different from the Quake 3 BSP

PSPKOR
April 12th, 2006, 14:24
I tryed doing this without the quake 3 and everthing worked fine by making my own files, i changed my .MAP into a .BSP file fine using the Q3Radiant but when i go to run it on Iris it loads up like normal but when it finishes loading it just freezes and crashes.

Can anyone HELP?............please:)

I now know what i was doing wrong, i got past it by using a quake3 demo loads up fine now. But still the arches don't come up in game, they just come out as random line, anyone know why? :confused:

X_KILL_3R_X
April 18th, 2006, 02:45
The last two links bring me to some wierd text.

Edit: Never mind. I "saved link as..." the file.rar

X_KILL_3R_X
April 19th, 2006, 01:39
All I get, is a .bak file. Not a . bsp. Is there anything that I did that is wrong?

Zeemon
April 19th, 2006, 02:53
Yeah-- Produkt, your sites screwed up. When I click the example maps link it shows a bunch on simbols.

X_KILL_3R_X
April 19th, 2006, 02:59
Yeah-- Produkt, your sites screwed up. When I click the example maps link it shows a bunch on simbols.

I figured it out. Right click it. Then, "Save link as..." And whatever is there, add ".rar" after everything. (no space and no " )

Zeemon
April 19th, 2006, 03:03
Ahh....thanks.

EDIT: could someone help me out... When I first open it, it doens't show all the things it does on the screenshot. Here's what it looks like:
http://www.pspzone.mfhosting.com/iris.bmp

Ohh and another problem...when I'm in the Q3R program, I click Bsp, then bsp_Fullvis, but it outputs a .bak file.. :confused:

X_KILL_3R_X
April 19th, 2006, 05:07
Ahh....thanks.

EDIT: could someone help me out... When I first open it, it doens't show all the things it does on the screenshot. Here's what it looks like:

Ohh and another problem...when I'm in the Q3R program, I click Bsp, then bsp_Fullvis, but it outputs a .bak file.. :confused:

Ya, that is how it looks for me too. And, I also get a .bak file. Can somebody help us?

Kaiser
April 19th, 2006, 05:14
Though this is PSMonkey's forum I don't think he'd mind if this was stickied, As its a great guide Produkt.

Nice work! :D

edit: This forum sure is popular, its getting pretty cluttered so I'm going to talk to wraggs about somehow cleaning this up so its nicer to look at. Perhaps a new Iris sub-forum?

DPyro
April 19th, 2006, 19:28
Ahh....thanks.

Make sure to place your map in your baseq3/maps folder. Also use fastvis to compile your map.

Zeemon
April 19th, 2006, 23:25
My map is here: C:\Program Files\Quake\baseq3\maps\test.map. Then I tried opening Q3R and opened the map, then clicked Bsp, then bsp_Fastvis. Still ended up with a .bak ......

DPyro
April 20th, 2006, 01:07
Make sure you have gtkradiant 1.4 installed :)

Zeemon
April 20th, 2006, 01:11
I do... But don't I make it a BSP in Q3Radient 202?

I have created a map in GtkR. that is in .map format... I just need to compile it into a .bsp..

X_KILL_3R_X
April 20th, 2006, 02:15
I still get a .bak file. btw I also found out a way to get the screen like the one posted. You click P (or go to Edit > Prefrences.) Then go to "Layer." Then you can change the way the screen looks.

Zeemon
April 20th, 2006, 02:20
Yeah-- I noticed that too... but how do you get a bsp?

X_KILL_3R_X
April 21st, 2006, 00:23
I still can't get a .bsp. I tried saving it as Iris Map.bsp.
It looked like a .bsp and everything, but it didn't work in Iris.

Zeemon
April 21st, 2006, 01:18
Yeah-- could someone help us? I'm really eager to try it out!

Thanks.

Produkt
April 25th, 2006, 11:45
I need to know, do you own Quake 3? alot of this is caused by an improper installation of Q3Radiant. most cases its been with those who created an alternative to quake 3 rather than using the original

Zeemon
April 25th, 2006, 14:28
I don't have Quake 3 installed.

Produkt
April 26th, 2006, 02:31
And there is your reason...

You need to have Quake3 Installed if you dont have that or an alternative, you cannot create maps.

Quake 3 Costs 10 dollars at walmart and it comes with the team arena expantion free.

But there are free alternatives one such is OpenArena (avalible here: http://cheapy.deathmask.net/files.html)

UNINSTALL ALL OF YOUR VARIANTS OF RADIANT!

Q3Radiant, GTKRadiant, ect...

Install Open arena to "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\"

USE THAT EXACT DIRECTORY, it makes things easyer

then reinstall all of your editors and things should be rather damned peachy

Zeemon
April 26th, 2006, 02:58
Ahh man! It still didn't work. Now I don't get any file back... AHH!

Do I have to create any of those folders in the Tools folder like it says in the "mapping without Quake" thread?

Ahh-- I really want this to work...

Produkt
April 26th, 2006, 03:03
Ahh man! It still didn't work. Now I don't get any file back... AHH!

Do I have to create any of those folders in the Tools folder like it says in the "mapping without Quake" thread?

Ahh-- I really want this to work...

DO NOT USE THE WITHOUT QUAKE THREAD!

the directions I just gave followed by the tutorial should create a working map file.

atop that The original Q3Radiant didnt have a copy command so where ever you saved the map, the .bsp should go or some times it would be created as a junk file and thrown away due to improper placement

your .map file should be in c:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\baseq3\maps\

if you have further problems I'll talk to you on msn, BUT YOU MUST ARRANGE A MEETING, Im no longer on as often as usualy because of a new job and I'm working on a new portfolio

Zeemon
April 26th, 2006, 03:06
Gotcha, I actually do get a file back, a .bak, where ever my .map file was(on my desktop).

Produkt
April 26th, 2006, 03:07
I updated my post

Zeemon
April 26th, 2006, 03:30
Cool-- I PMed you for your MSN.

I've managed to get BSP now, but when I try it on my PSP it loads everything, then says Click start to begin, but then my PSP hangs. I tried 3 different BSP,two I created and the iris_example_final(converted from .map to .bsp.

Another interesting thing... All my map's names are lowercase on my computer, but caps on my PSP..

PSPKOR
April 26th, 2006, 15:14
Zeemon try downloading a demo of Quake 3 arena, then install it, then there should be a folder called demoq3 go into that and copy the pak0.pk3 and q3config.cfg into the Q3Radiants baseq3 file and it should work.

Produkt
April 26th, 2006, 20:46
I have no PMs FYI... I dont know what you did, and I dont "give out" my msn info you have to give me yours and a time you will be on.

Zeemon
April 26th, 2006, 23:56
I have no PMs FYI... I dont know what you did
Well-- I've PMed you about two things in the last month...and I guess that's why I didn't get an answer...

and I dont "give out" my msn info you have to give me yours and a time you will be on.
Okay then..

Produkt
April 27th, 2006, 00:57
Dont I feal special, my PM's were full :P You can try sending it now.

Zeemon
April 27th, 2006, 01:37
Zeemon try downloading a demo of Quake 3 arena, then install it, then there should be a folder called demoq3 go into that and copy the pak0.pk3 and q3config.cfg into the Q3Radiants baseq3 file and it should work.
What?

Okay Produkt, I'll PM ya again.

PSPKOR
April 27th, 2006, 18:04
Well I had the same problem with the .BSP not running on my PSP, but then i did what i said in my previous post and it loaded up fine.

vettacossx
April 27th, 2006, 18:50
what a good dude u r produkt always helping someone out i like that!! im the same way ...too bad for jman420 he does not know how much you help ppl on the forums its too bad he had too be so disrespectfull,,,but we do really really appreaciate your contributions to helping the community... reguardless of the occasion guyt with a inferiority complex.....lol...so thanx to produkt, your an insparation(jman 420)see halo mod disscussion...omg!

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109716#post109716

talk about negitive this guy jman 420 will get you all flamed up if you know how gr8 produkt really is!

Produkt
April 27th, 2006, 21:23
Could you help me out?

Set up your post in a more formal setting or use paragraphs a little more often, It helps your post to be easyer to read. As for the rest, Thanks for the comment, I'm always glad to help

I'll be in NY in manhattan if you ever hit the area (may 5,6,7th) PM me with a cell number and maybe we can talk.

Produkt
May 3rd, 2006, 23:08
Alrighty then!

Well I'm heading up to NY tomarrow, and I'm bringing my laptop, which has a nice collection of new Iris maps I've also got 2x32mb memorysticks with the latest alpha of Iris on it for both 2.0+ and 1.5

You wont get to keep it, but if you PM me with a cell number you can try it out first hand.

Any way I've got alot of texturing work to do. and the sample maps are last in my line of things to do!

next week I'll be showing off screenshots of my LoZ:OOT based levels aswell as a screenshot from the latest version of Iris running the flagship map "Mars Outpost"

webboy
May 20th, 2006, 21:43
Question for you Produkt, cant i just use the the program mentioning earlier to convert my .maps from halo to .bsp maps for iris? would this work?

Produkt
May 20th, 2006, 22:53
No

that is another format.

Halo maps were created inside of a modeling program where as Quake 3 maps are a cad based idea.

webboy
May 20th, 2006, 23:21
ok so its down to cloning the maps, ill give it a go for evveryone and pspmonkey (my current idle), give it 3 weeks to get used to the program and another 2 wekks per map. someone will probably beat me, ow well ill keep trying.

BrooksyX
May 21st, 2006, 04:32
hey produkt need a little help here,
when ever i open up GtkRadiant-1.4.0 my view is different then what is shown on yours.
I was wondering how i would make it like your view where it shows me the map and the different axises

DPyro
May 21st, 2006, 04:35
Edit---->Preferences--->Layout (option 4).

BrooksyX
May 21st, 2006, 04:37
thanks sniper

webboy
May 21st, 2006, 10:40
ok i think ive got the hang of square tiles and the complete begginer stuff; my next question if how to you do basic ramps ( like a square cut into a triangle)?

BrooksyX
May 21st, 2006, 15:58
thats what i was wondering too

Zeemon
May 21st, 2006, 16:27
Well... If I understand what you're meaning then...

You can either drag the Vert. by clicking 'V' Then draging, or you can selection something then go to "Selection" and Flip or Rotate on the X, Y, or Z.

BrooksyX
May 21st, 2006, 16:45
never mind I got it, i was looking for clipper.

webboy make your ramp the size you want with a cube and then use the clipper tool to cut it in the shape you want.

BrooksyX
May 21st, 2006, 17:34
does anyone know how to make spawn points.

Elsid
May 21st, 2006, 17:36
wow, that looks good!!!

DPyro
May 21st, 2006, 17:41
For spawn points:

Right click the z window and goto info --->info_player_deathmatch

Produkt
May 21st, 2006, 17:43
does anyone know how to make spawn points.

For spawn points you find your location in the 2d view and right click, from there go down to Info > Info_Player_start

and that will create your basic spawn point.

if you want to make a triangle you should create your brush then go up to the task bar and look for the word "Brush" click 3 sided (you may have to rotate/flip it) then vertex the little bugger till you like it.

webboy
May 21st, 2006, 18:01
cheers everyone; produkt i should have my first test maps done and converted within the next 4 hours; would anyone like a copy to test/use?

Grecoroman14
May 21st, 2006, 18:55
Could u build ramps on this one and does this work for the new maps for iris v 0.2

webboy
May 21st, 2006, 19:26
yes u can build ramps on this one, i did mine a differnet wat to the one mentioned i used the free posistion button and slanted a slab at a 45* angle then put it in place, and all these maps can be used with 2.0 iris (ones with multi levels cant be used on iris 1.0.

Grecoroman14
May 21st, 2006, 19:55
ok thanks for telling me. because im working on halo maps for the new iris i already have a couple characters almost done

webboy
May 21st, 2006, 21:13
nice, tell me if you want help with anything (trying to get my name on atleast one homebrew app or game,lol). im still experimenting with creating maps but i will add the one i made just now here in about 20 mins; its bacisally a bunch or rectangular rooms on two level with 4 ramps, i know not too exciting but only used the program for a totla of 4 hours so far.

BrooksyX
May 21st, 2006, 22:22
I should have a map up by tonight and I think you guys will like it!

Grecoroman14
May 21st, 2006, 23:32
*MOD EDIT* Do not request illegal files. secondly... thats a huge file, no one is going to send you a gig worth of data through aim...

webboy
May 22nd, 2006, 16:18
big mace you done that maps yet, is so u think i coudl have a look just for fun,

btw my map screwed up bad, the character enters the maps but the textures buggers up by fuzzing around and stuff.

****EDIT**** oops, found your maps bigmace, ill test and play it and give you my feedback in the correct the maps forum.

Zeemon
May 25th, 2006, 00:27
Quick question... does Iris support Curve->Cylinders?

Because I can't seem to get them to work.

Produkt
May 25th, 2006, 02:16
no it doesnt

PSPtwister
May 25th, 2006, 17:07
produkt.....i need to know if it has to be gold edition quake? its not at walmart....and im trying to find it on ebay,i can find quake 3 but not gold..

DPyro
May 25th, 2006, 18:18
Quake 3 Arena

DPyro
May 25th, 2006, 18:23
You can buy it HERE (http://www.idsoftware.com/store/index.php?view=quake) :)

PSPtwister
May 25th, 2006, 18:51
um,thanks....tell me, would this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/Quake-III-3-Team-Arena-New-in-Box-PC_W0QQitemZ8287329762QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 20:11
there was a thread a while back about a program called open arena, it should be titled as maping without owning quake 3. Just download and follow the instructions and it should work. It is what i use for my mapping.

PSPtwister
May 25th, 2006, 20:31
ok,thanks,im downloading it now

DPyro
May 25th, 2006, 20:58
um,thanks....tell me, would this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/Quake-III-3-Team-Arena-New-in-Box-PC_W0QQitemZ8287329762QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Read the fine print on that package.
(Requires the full version of Quake 3 Arena)

Shilo
May 25th, 2006, 21:06
Is there any way to make maps for Iris without having Quake III or Open Arena? Because, I only got $10 (spent all of my money on Tetris DS :D and I got no job or get allowence :() and I got Dial up so I will take at least 3hrs to get Open Arena :(

PSPtwister
May 25th, 2006, 21:20
well,if you looked at my thread about a way for mapping he said that he's making one for .02 iris that doesn't require it..at least i think thats what he means

DPyro
May 25th, 2006, 22:39
Is there any way to make maps for Iris without having Quake III or Open Arena? Because, I only got $10 (spent all of my money on Tetris DS :D and I got no job or get allowence :() and I got Dial up so I will take at least 3hrs to get Open Arena :(
Looks like you'll have to settle for prostitution. :p

Produkt
May 25th, 2006, 23:33
I'm making a "LoFi" distro of that with my tool package.

it will only include bianaries so you just pull your textures from your

Shilo
May 26th, 2006, 00:17
Ok, I found a tuturial that was posted called Iris Mapping without Quake or something like that. That fixed my problem, and I can now map without Quake or Open Arena and compile a .bsp instead of a .bak. But, now I have a new problem. In GTKradiant when I right click the X/Y window, all lot of menus are missing. You can see in the screen shot, what exactly I have (sorry about the low quality, I used paint to make it a gif. Too lazy to open Photoshop :p ). I can't put in lights or a player start thingy. Does someone know how to fix it? I've tried everything I could think of (which wasn't alot :D).

PSPtwister
May 26th, 2006, 01:07
umm....this is wrong...why can't i see it right? lol,got it,sry there was a picture but i fixed it

yuh know proukt,you're tut is very good and all,but would you mind making a video tutorial? they're so much easier and thats what i used to try to make halo maps.....just a thought,be very nice if you did :D

Produkt
May 26th, 2006, 01:36
my voice is so deep, It makes children cry and women grab for peper spray...

PSPtwister
May 26th, 2006, 01:43
i thought you would say something like that....does that mean you're not gonna? cause,i just get so confused with the tutorial you made,video ones are so easy

Produkt
May 26th, 2006, 01:48
Alrighty I'll test it out on modder, if she doesnt cry I'll release it :P

PSPtwister
May 26th, 2006, 02:02
lol!!!! yes!!!!

ummmm... i have a problem with the radiant program,i made a box room cause i read a tut that came with the program but....you know,i can only see the outlines of the box,i can't see any wall textures or just that default thingy,i know its not supposed to look like this so just tell me how

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2280/fdtywshdhsdgdfafg3cu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Produkt
May 26th, 2006, 02:44
click on textures and go down to render quality

from there you have options change them out to get a good one.

PSPtwister
May 26th, 2006, 03:02
that doesn't work, i can't get any textures to go on it or anything....well i can,but i can't see them

Produkt
May 26th, 2006, 04:05
odd, I'll see if I can find this problem elcewere...

I'll also get a screenshot of what I mean aswell.

PSPtwister
May 26th, 2006, 15:05
ok...well i'll just try to figure it out,i tried reinstalling it but its still the same, i probably just have to push one key and i'll be able to see the textures on the box but...idk

ok here's a screenshot of the example map from the iris maps
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3097/themap0tc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
and as you can see..u can't see any textures,and when i switch those texture viewing nothing changes at all....also,when i press escape to deselect the box,it disappears......and its not supposed to,i know that

PSPtwister
May 26th, 2006, 21:02
ya,there is something terribly wrong,i uninstalled everything from that and it still does that stuff,when i add a light to the box i made,the box disappears and only the light is there,when i add a texture to a surface,i can't see it,but when i press ctrl + z to undo it,it shows,but when i wanna deselect it,it disappears,i really wanna start creating maps but this problem just wont let me do it,plz figure it out

PSPtwister
May 27th, 2006, 02:17
OK,i didn't figure it out,BUT!,i downloaded the newest version of gtkradient and it works better than the other one a little,the only problem i have with the newest version is that the camera angles and moving forward is harder than the other,but,i got it,so....thanks anyways,even though no one did anything.....

BrooksyX
May 27th, 2006, 02:51
one question did you install open arena as
c:\Program Files\Quake III Arean\
because if ou didnt i dont think it will work right

PSPtwister
May 27th, 2006, 03:37
yes, i did,and you typed it wrong,but yes i did and i just downloaded the newer version of it so it doesn't matter anymore,i can make maps now

sroon
June 2nd, 2006, 02:32
Thank You Product for your Tutarial!!
Now I can be part of the Iris Dev Group

xtreameracer01
June 14th, 2006, 00:53
Hello, i am new to the forums but not to the psp scene...i have made my first map for iris and the images needed for the map are in a ".shader" file that came with Quake 3 Arena, does anyone know how to get the pics or extract them some how?

Produkt
June 14th, 2006, 02:47
.shader files only hold data about the texture's properties

there are no pictures in there. they are simple text files.

xtreameracer01
June 14th, 2006, 03:00
Well...then were are the textures for Quake, because there are no pics for levels on my version of Quake 3 Arena...

Produkt
June 14th, 2006, 12:00
I recomend not using any quake 3 textures, rather use the ones that came with iris and other iris mods, or make your own

Buddy4point0
June 14th, 2006, 16:05
im gonna work on a map and ive been playing around with it and found some prtty cool things

Produkt
June 14th, 2006, 19:10
I'm thinking abotu releasing some of my map "scetches" for people to scrap later...

xtreameracer01
June 14th, 2006, 22:34
Please do....

ALF
June 15th, 2006, 22:50
ive been makin a couple maps but is there a way to load .pk3 models in gtkradiant it would help a lot. thanx.

Produkt
June 16th, 2006, 18:42
.pk3 is just a damned zip file... uncompressed...

its not a model it just contains game data.

ALF
June 17th, 2006, 01:20
So is it possible to load it in Iris/GtkRadiant or is this a really stupid question. lol

Accordion
August 7th, 2006, 16:44
is it possible to make maps on Mac OS X.?..............

and will these maps work with the next release?

Produkt
August 7th, 2006, 17:02
There are minor adjustments in Entities... all current Iris maps are DeathMatch some things may change in the next release of iris which could make maps not work but they will be easily fixable...

There are radiant editors for Mac os

look on the QERadiant.com site

Accordion
August 7th, 2006, 17:06
thanks for the reply

i think ive found something...