PDA

View Full Version : PSN Stopping PSPs with Custom Firmware?

wraggster
June 30th, 2009, 23:16
News via pspita (http://www.psp-ita.com/?module=news&id=28690&view_reply=1)

A maintenance of Playstation Network has brought an unpleasant surprise for owners with PSP Custom Firmware M33. These PSP is in fact denied access to services online Sony (Network) and even with the version.txt firmware set for 5:51, or the last available, you can bypass this block.
An unexpected move by Sony, which affects a large proportion of PSP users.
We will keep you updated on developments.

UPDATE: After a test run with CF 5.50GEN-A, it seems that there are no problems in the PSN, and with no online play.

yakumo
June 30th, 2009, 23:52
That's not a problem for PSP users with custom firmware, but for Sony itself. Sony don't want people with custom firmware access to PSN, so Sony does not want that those people buy games over PSN, so Sony does not want the money of those people. Well, less money for Sony. Another bad (and stupid) move for Sony...

They will never learn...

NoQuarter
July 1st, 2009, 03:47
Yes, that would be very foolish of them.

benpwarner
July 1st, 2009, 04:18
yes i agree sony is turning down good money from us and yes my 3000 running cfe 5.01 no longer connects to PSN so your loss sony even though i have bought multiple items from PSN

shadowriffe
July 1st, 2009, 05:30
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6786/motivatorf0d52809bd1f83.jpg

I have custom firmware, and I've bought stuff off of there. There are two ways to see this.

Reality: They're idiots.

Benefit of the doubt: I find it odd that they just did this now, if it's possible they could have done it at any time beforehand. Maybe they found a security hole that would have allowed people to steal off of it. And maybe they'll let us in when they fix it. And then log all of our accounts and sue us.

But really, is it a big loss? The PSN might be more attractive if things were, idunno, cheaper on it.

Lock us out, make things cheaper, and maybe some of us will switch to OFW. Or buy a PSP Go.

Yes this is what that is all about. They can't figure out a better way to market something that should have come out a year ago as the PSP 3000.:mad:

Ultima Chocochu
July 1st, 2009, 06:44
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6786/motivatorf0d52809bd1f83.jpg

I have custom firmware, and I've bought stuff off of there. There are two ways to see this.

Reality: They're idiots.

Benefit of the doubt: I find it odd that they just did this now, if it's possible they could have done it at any time beforehand. Maybe they found a security hole that would have allowed people to steal off of it. And maybe they'll let us in when they fix it. And then log all of our accounts and sue us.

But really, is it a big loss? The PSN might be more attractive if things were, idunno, cheaper on it.

Lock us out, make things cheaper, and maybe some of us will switch to OFW. Or buy a PSP Go.

Yes this is what that is all about. They can't figure out a better way to market something that should have come out a year ago as the PSP 3000.:mad:

I honestly have to go with, Sony just taking pre-cautions, I don't honestly believe Sony wants you to NOT buy stuff of the PSN, it's just they could take apart games that weren't previously UMD games so on so forth. But then again, I could be wrong, just a guess in the end.

openboxfilms
July 1st, 2009, 08:08
UPDATE: After a test run with CF 5.50GEN-A, it seems that there are no problems in the PSN, and with no online play.

Hm... I'm running the same version and I still can't access it. If SONY is blocking CFW, then why don't they say it? It's one thing to block me from using me from my funds, it's another thing to bs me by saying my version isn't high enough.:rofl:

Triv1um
July 1st, 2009, 09:18
So now custom firmware users can't pirate games, nor can they 'buy' online downloads.

Lets just wait for the UMDs that lock out CFW. Just wait.

Nokiaman
July 1st, 2009, 13:37
Good job SONY!
/sarcasm

noname1
July 1st, 2009, 15:05
Hmm i don't care i'm never buying things on PSN.
And if Sony protect us from going to PSN we will always find a way to bypass it.

happy_mak
July 1st, 2009, 15:07
Friends,
I don't think Sony specifically targeted CFW.
If so they could have blocked 5.50 GEN too. That works as everyone agrees.

Also just to double check try installing the official 5.00 firmware and access PSN. You will find that the same error occurs on official firmware also. What they have done is only try to implement the latest version check (CFW/official notwithstanding)

Manish
http://www.twitter.com/pspupdates/

Ryupowerup
July 1st, 2009, 15:59
So now custom firmware users can't pirate games, nor can they 'buy' online downloads.

Lets just wait for the UMDs that lock out CFW. Just wait.

we have one and more may be coming
Evangelion: Detects & Freezes w/ Custom Firmware Installed (http://www.psp-hacks.com/2009/06/24/evangelion-detects-freezes-w-custom-firmware-installed/)

Evangelion: Jo, which apparently detects the presence of whatever custom firmware you may be running. The game starts and immediately hangs at the screen below accompanied by some soft classical music. And this isn’t a simple spoofable version check either; the game actually checks the contents loaded in RAM and should it see something it doesn’t like — it bails.
http://www.psp-hacks.com/images/evangelion.jpg
PSPgen (http://www.pspgen.com/premier-jeu-qui-detecte-custom-firmwares-est-arrive-actualite-188285.html)

jxx2005
July 1st, 2009, 17:06
what about PC access to PSN
i believe media go can still be tricked by usbfakeversion

EDIT
i tried
PSN store on PSP ..... no go
media go on PC ..... works
still think my PSP is 5.50

mrbob3
July 1st, 2009, 17:28
Dear Mr Sony,

I recently tried to access the PSN store to download a game. As i can no longer get on this store to buy my game, i have realised the only way to get this game now, is to download it from a warez site. I now get the game faster and its free.

Yours sincerely,

Mrbob3

LAMPRO
July 1st, 2009, 18:31
OUCH.. when will sony just back off and let WHO they made this for, USE it for whatever we want????! is it for them or for us!??!

They make an incredible machine that changes handhelds forever, and they want to run the world! Its like they want power, not the device!!

Ive NEVER bought anything on PSN, but this makes me not want to even visit!!

SONY=YUK.

PoorKingz
July 1st, 2009, 19:45
They just want you to have the latest version, OFW or not.

On the other hand, I cannot log on Resistence Retribution because it also uses PSN and requires you to update before playing online.

devdj
July 1st, 2009, 21:47
Sony= Epic Failure

avtools
July 1st, 2009, 22:03
Custom Firmware 5.50GEN-A works with PSN, but you still need to enable the "Use VERSION.TXT" in the Recovery Menu and change the file Flash0:/VSH/ETC/VERSION.TXT to one containing the following text:

release:5.51:
build:3218,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6
system:52303@release_551,0x05050110:
vsh:p6427@release_551,v52628@release_551,20090605:
target:1:WorldWide

:thumbup: thanks Shrygue for the [code] tip.

I don't think Sony is really trying to prevent CFW access (indeed it's still possible to login). Instead, I believe that they are trying to force people with OFW 5.03 or lower to update to 5.51, to prevent the use of ChickHEN.

Shrygue
July 1st, 2009, 22:19
If you wrap the text using the [code] tags, that will prevent the emotion icons kicking in. Anyway, good information to know it can still work on 5.50 GEN-A custom firmware with the modified version.txt.

cmb3k3
July 1st, 2009, 22:46
and sony's security is circomvented again

Apoklepz
July 2nd, 2009, 03:19
Hmmmm...let's see how smart SONY really is having done this.

PROS (for them):
- Less hacker friendly people entering the store and possibly stealing stuff :$ ...I really don't know about this one, I mean my PSP can do almost anything, it even brings me ice cold Cokes on ocassion...but really?

- People with hacked PSP's will actually let go tons of homebrew apps/emulators and ISOs to get back into buying official stuff from SONY...not in a million years.

CONS
- Piracy will improve now thanks to people who are smarter than SONY and have 2 or more PSPs...1 bearing official firmware of course...it will be a tad harder for pirates to obtain stuff now, but the more merrier and worth it, just to **** SONY's corporate money grubbing ass once again....Bend over and say Ahhhhh.

- PSP Go isn't looking so desirable now that you've deprived your target consumer audience (teens and young adults looking for a broader library of games and entertainment media than SONY's PSP can offer...that's why they come to homebrew in the first place :P DUH!) of it's purchase rights, is it SONY?

It's just so funny how SONY fails time and time again...but yet they think they are so darn smart.

midnitdragoon
July 2nd, 2009, 15:02
this is a good direction for the future of psp. piracy as it is now wont change in terms of our community(it wont grow) but it will grow a lot slower. Therefore, there will be more people with ofw. Thats a good thing.

Hopefully this keeps up, and if i really want to play online... then ill go on my wifi max, no big deal. psn wont be missed by me.

openboxfilms
July 2nd, 2009, 22:22
Lol, are you being sarcastic? Piracy's going to spread faster now because we're not even able to buy games legally. Sony's probably laughing at us right now, but there the one's being swindled.

D.S.Darkness
July 3rd, 2009, 21:54
Ok, the way i see this is like in previous posts, sony is not blocking custom firmware per say but they are making it so only the most recent firmware can connect, and since custom firmware lags behind on releases, it essentially blocked it. BUT, i believe this is indeed a horrible move on sony's part because many ppl with custom firmware Do infact Buy PSP games from the PSN. I can only see this increasing piracy :/