PDA

View Full Version : Pachter: Nintendo is benefiting from global recession side effects

wraggster
July 1st, 2009, 18:15
Normally when Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter whips out his crystal ball and starts getting the vapors, he doesn't have time to turn on his minirecorder and take down the futurespeak channeled through his body. Luckily for us (and you!), he not only recorded it this time, but also wrote it down in the form of the 2009 Interactive Industry Report! We delved through the beast of a document this afternoon and found an interesting segment regarding the Nintendo Wii relying on "slower adoption rates of current generation technology" (read as: high-def displays) to help boost sales.

Pachter writes on page nine of the report, "The global recession served to benefit Nintendo at its competitors' expense," referencing Microsoft and Sony as having slower console sales this generation due to HDTV functionality built into the systems. He argues that consumers who might purchase the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 are more likely to buy the Wii not only because of the lower price point, but because of the subsequent HDTV purchase price. "Expect most consumers to defer purchasing a PS3 or an Xbox 360 until they have purchased an HD monitor," Pachter explains. Though we're not convinced that the same folks who would be purchasing an Xbox 360 or a PS3 would be running out to buy a Nintendo Wii in every case, we digress.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/01/pachter-nintendo-is-benefiting-from-global-recession-side-effec/

VampDude
July 1st, 2009, 18:52
Of course, because Nintendo have the cheaper console... Which can be used on all TV types, I'm currently using my Wii on a 17" flat panel monitor though I use it mainly on the standard TV set that I play all my older consoles on (occasionally the big screen HDTV downstairs).

SONY have failed with the recession (which isn't affecting me), because many people aren't going to upgrade their TV sets to play the current generation of games on the most expensive console on the market.

Chris23235
July 1st, 2009, 21:43
Funny, 6 months ago he predicted the opposite, he said, cause the HD consoles are bought by hardcore gamers, these consoles won't be affected by the financial crisis, cause these people will cut expenses on other things first, before they stop buying games. Casual gamers, like Wii owners, he predicted will stop buying games earlier. But then, that's the lovely Pachter, every day something new. We have a proverb here in germany, that originates from the first chancellor of the federal rebulic of germany, it goes
"Was kümmert mich mein Geschwätz von Gestern."
which roughly translates to
"I don't care about things I said yesterday." It always reminds me of Pachter.

NeoXCS
July 2nd, 2009, 03:40
I honestly don't see the problem with 360, you just need YWR connection on your TV and you're set. Sure it's not HD but it's still nice looking and fun to play. The price isn't that insanely high on it either. And it has "real" video games, unlike the Wii, which has a few rail shooters to it's name and a bunch of ports that are nothing new.