PDA

View Full Version : Need to secure my Wireless Network but havent a clue

wraggster
July 3rd, 2009, 18:23
hey all ive had a unsecured wireless network for a good 6 years or more but recently ive noticed that theres wireless networks around me now and 1 i dont want anyone pinching my bandwidth and downloading dodgy stuff through my network and 2 i really should secure it

i use the network for my PS3, 360 and DS too so something thats compatible with all of them and we have 5 pcs/laptops that use the network.

that and ive never set one up, any advice would be great, im using a netgear wireless router ma401

NoQuarter
July 3rd, 2009, 18:26
Use wpa, wep is really easy to crack.

Darksaviour69
July 3rd, 2009, 18:40
Funny enough I'm seting up my new pc to share with my labtop and xbox (can watch movies on the tv via xbox) at the mo.

you just need to jet into the admin of the router by puting the rooter ip address io the address bar (google it or dos promt "ipconfig" and Default Gatewayi s the ip you want)

you need to login to the rooter, for netgear is noramlly admin, passord for default

NoQuarter
July 3rd, 2009, 18:54
Oh and don't forget to change those default passwords on your router. Don't use dictionary words, more than 8 characters and a mix of letters(upper and lowercase) and numbers .

BTW guys I'm still having to log in through a proxy...

Darksaviour69
July 3rd, 2009, 19:08
But really, who's going to hack into you interwebs?

Btw No Quarter, we hopfully have it sorted out some (or some sort of temp fix anyway)

NoQuarter
July 3rd, 2009, 19:20
It's good to be paranoid about PC security,lol.
When I check my router logs there are always failed login attempts, of course I'm on Fios.
Thanks, I'll give proxy-less login a shot.

EDIT: still no accessing dcemu without a proxy

VampDude
July 3rd, 2009, 21:43
My router is secure, I access the administrator of mine via:

http://192.168.1.254/

I think Wraggster's is the same, being a Netgear.

The details you would need to login if needed, will be on the underneath of the router. Which from there, you can change everything.