PDA

View Full Version : Symantec Exec Warns Against Relying On Free Antivirus

wraggster
July 4th, 2009, 23:58
Clearly, the rise of free antivirus is starting to worry Symantec, with one of their top executives warning consumers not to rely on free antivirus software (including Microsoft's Security Essentials). 'If you are only relying on free antivirus to offer you protection in this modern age, you are not getting the protection you need to be able to stay clean and have a reasonable chance of avoiding identity theft,' said David Hall, a Product Manager for Symantec. According to Hall, there is a widening gap between people's understanding of what protection they need and the threats they're actually facing.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/07/04/1121255/Symantec-Exec-Warns-Against-Relying-On-Free-Antivirus

DPyro
July 5th, 2009, 02:53
I'm sure he'd say anything to keep his customers. The truth is you don't need the bloatware that is Norton. Avast! works just fine, along with not being a complete dumbass on the internet.

VampDude
July 5th, 2009, 12:45
It's a marketing ploy.

It's like saying:

"Buy out inferiour product, even though it costs a lot more than the free alternative which works better".

I actually advise against Symantec, because both my PC and laptop suffered against viruses using Norton (which was paid for).

When uninstalling certain anti-virus software, you get prompted with questions asking why. I like to be very honest, saying that it was SH*T. I did the same with both Norton and McAfee (my parents purchased McAfee for 4 years straight).

VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED... Thank you avast! for just doing that. :cool:

TacticalBread
July 5th, 2009, 17:26
They're just sad because Norton sucks.

NOD32 ftw.

WhizzBang
July 5th, 2009, 17:56
Thanks for the warning, Symantec!

wraggster
July 5th, 2009, 18:57
yeah i dont like norton anymore, used to swear by it at one stage but i either use AVG or avast on one of my laptops

Triv1um
July 5th, 2009, 20:02
I use Avast! Pro

It's ace, pisses all over AVG and surely beats shitty Norton.

Zack
July 6th, 2009, 01:35
I work in retail (computer salesman), and I have to say Norton is overpriced (by far) in comparison to other anti-viruses and also packs a lot of bloat.

Whenever a customer comes to me and asks about antivirus I never recommend Norton. Maybe it's a biased opinion but having read a lot of stories about Norton and reviews, I feel my opinion of it is justified.

Also point in hand here... I am now on a mac but previously I used Vista with AVG and Windows Firewall and never had a single issue with viruses. So the statement by Symantec is clearly a false one. They are trying "Scare Tactics" to get people to buy there software. Clearly.

VampDude
July 6th, 2009, 17:25
It's all down to them losing customers to the FREE alternatives, every big software company has done it somewhere along the line.

Microsoft are the most famous for monopolizing, in '98 there was a big case about web browsers. [Read more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft)]

I believe it is antitrust, which is a competition law in the United States (Worldwide too I presume). [Read more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law#Prohibited_anti-competitive_behavior)]

mike_jmg
July 9th, 2009, 05:28
NOD32 best AV ever, I couldn't believe how faster my PC and Laptop work changing Norton and AVG respectively