PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Good Netbook to get ?

wraggster
July 7th, 2009, 19:46
Im looking for a netbook to buy my kids for xmas (17 and 13), whats a good but not expensive netbook to get, my kids would mostly use it for MSN i bet and maybe at school for my daughter, are the linux ones worth looking at,

which ones should i also avoid like the plague too

thanks for any guidance

VampDude
July 7th, 2009, 21:53
Avoid any made by HP (Compaq) and SONY (Vaio), also Dell.

My Dad has a Packard Bell laptop, which is quite good for the internet and doing what he does.

I've had tree laptops in total, which the main problem I get is with them burning out (HP/Dell) or the disc drive ripping out completely (Vaio).

Triv1um
July 7th, 2009, 23:38
He said netbook buddy.

Just get a EEE.

You can get a 900 for about 210 quid thats with linux

If you can stretch to more, get the MSI WIND u100 with XP installed.

If you can stretch to abit more, get the EEE 1000HE, thats with XP for about 310.

I would personally go for one with XP installed, but if you dont want to pay the extra for the licence, get a linux one, but be sure to put ubuntu on it.

VampDude
July 8th, 2009, 00:49
He said netbook buddy.

Isn't it just another name for a laptop? Like a Notebook? Y'know... Those piddly small ones, just a fraction of an inch bigger than a DVD case.

NoQuarter
July 8th, 2009, 01:06
I have an Acer aspire one d250 running Ubuntu and couldn't be happier with it. Cost me $300 US. It came with XP but I wiped that off the first day :)

I actually sold my Macbook to get it, I'm a little more comfortable carrying around a $300 computer in my backpack than a $1200 one. It does everything I need and the 3D desktop works flawlessly.

mike_jmg
July 9th, 2009, 04:54
I was thinking about getting this one (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Mini-110-1030NR-10-1-Inch-Netbook/dp/B002BH4N12/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1247111347&sr=8-1).

But that's just me, an Acer one should be good. Almost all of them have the same specs. Just beware of the one from Toshiba, the keyboard on that one is way too small to type