PDA

View Full Version : US tells China to tackle pollution

wraggster
April 11th, 2006, 23:51
The US has told China to get its environmental act togther ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, saying that "the world was watching its environmental protection efforts" in the run-up to the sportsfest.

That's according to US Environmental Protection Agency administrator Stephen Johnson who, Reuters reports, told it like it was during a speech at Beijing's Qinghua University. He added: "More environmental protection progress can and must occur."

Specifically, Johnson called for "more stringent enforcement of central government environmental policy" and "greater co-operation between China's levels of government" to get to grips with the problem.

Johnson does have a point. As he gave forth, a pall of pollution hung over Beijing and the State Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) reported that the city had enjoyed its lowest number of "blue sky" days (official measure of low-pollution days) in five years.

The Chinese will no doubt jump to it forthwith and look to another Olympic city - Los Angeles - for pointers on how to tackle air pollution. ®

Dull Blade
April 12th, 2006, 00:26
Americans, Ha.
They have something to say about every thing. I live in a town near America, but in Canada, and when the pollution is bad, it looks like a toxic cloude hanging over the skyscrapers.

I know this is a little off topic but I see you come from the UK, So...
I originally came from the UK too, and its been a while scince i was there. And I want to know if they still have that amazing breakfast sausage that is sold in Sainsbury's?

Eric
April 12th, 2006, 01:37
I agree with you Dull Blade Canadian brother Americans think they own the world. Here goes another worthless war about nothing well chemical bombs arent worthless but they probably didnt have any ha ha.

Eric

Cap'n 1time
April 24th, 2006, 16:03
As an american I must agree. This is hypocrisy.

Fender
April 25th, 2006, 18:10
I really hope one day they will learn