PDA

View Full Version : New Mario lacks 'newness,' says Infendo

wraggster
April 12th, 2006, 23:31
Infendo's Rollin had a thing or two to say about New Super Mario Bros. in this morning's post: "It's not a new game, and moreover it's not a DS game. Judging by the info and screens we have up to this point, this looks like an ankle-deep, shallow relic of Mario's past..." Ouch!

Before Rollin is tossed to the wolves, let's consider this: maybe he's right. Okay, rephrase that: maybe he's on to something. Why are gamers so excited about New Mario? What does a 20-year-old concept bring to the table? Is it relevant to the DS? Worthy of a full-priced release? What if instead, it was an unlockable mini-game featured in a Revolution Mario title? Or better, an inexpensive download via Nintendo's Virtual Console service?

The original Super Mario Bros. is a game I cherish, but often times I feel — as Rollin seems to imply — that Nintendo profits off of my nostalgia. Is that a bad thing? From a business standpoint, of course not. But if we're going to criticize other companies for churning out sequels and rehashes, we'd best lift the 'untouchable' veil from in front of Nintendo's name and let them have it too. New Super Mario Bros. will be fun, but let's not kid ourselves, it's not gonna shake up the state of gaming in 2006.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/12/new-mario-lacks-newness-says-infendo/

Vegetable
April 13th, 2006, 13:14
The way I see it, Nintendo has already begun to change gaming with the DS and the Revolution. People are always bitching about games being based on gimmicks, and the first time a game comes out that isn't, people bitch even more.

You're all just a bunch of whiny ***gots.

GaMeR_2000
April 20th, 2006, 02:59
I agree with Vegetable. This game is new and has many new twists on an old classic. It will sell well and be a good asset in the Nintendo DS arsenal.