PDA

View Full Version : Iris Update (Just future progress discussion)

PSmonkey
April 13th, 2006, 15:28
*Just a note, This is more discussion, Less news post. No need to post this as news on other sites*

Ok anyways last night I was having trouble sleeping so I got to start thinking about the next iris (specialy after sniper showed me shots of his new map).

I realise I really need to get a new build out because alot of moders are waiting on me before they can post their mods. So I think I will probably get cracking soon as i get back from break and put lesser time into money64 (like maybe 4 days iris, 2 days monkey, 1 day for me).

While up thinking, I was going over what I feel are big problems to iris that need to be upgraded. The two major ones are Controlls & AI. There are a few more things but thies two need to be solved the most.

So on the controll front. I realised last night that iris needs to evolve into more then doom like it is now. It needs to allow people to see all over so they can shoot people above & below with ease. Yet I am not sure what is the best setup. So I've desided to try getting some help from a few designer friends to hammer out 1-2 of the best controll setups that not only work well on the psp but also can make iris great. Sadly I've also desided to go against allowing custom controlls (if there is, its minimul and not full custom controlls). I know this sucks but the psp is limited on buttons and this would mean the difference between iris becoming coded arms (ok with alot of bad controlls) or Syphon filter (great controlls that fit the game). Once we figure something out we will post it up so people can see & maybe I will make a small modified demo of iris 0.1 so we can see them in action.

The second biggest problem with iris atm is AI. It's discussingly stupid. I know but it was the best i could do in like 3 hours i had. I have been thinking of new methods that would work but there are drawbacks to all. The first is to use quake3 bot setup files but the problem is they are a little over bearing and complex which will probably hurt the performace. The next idea was to install waypoints in every map and a few guide nodes to let the bot navigate the amp. This is very posibly what i might do but it means that map editors must plop thies in but if not there, the ai wont work on the map. So this as well kind of sucks. The best method is to somehow parse out waypoints or some map info from quake 3 bot files but this is hard to do because I dont think there is any solid documentation other then checking though the quake 3 source (which is a bit complicated to read).

So pretty much thoes are the two main things i need to fix. I also have though about doing a few more things to help improve iris as a whole that I will probably do. First being a real menu system (in external tga images so mods can customise the look) with fonts so the game will look better. I'm heavly leaning on the idea of going with the doom/quake style menu (not complex with simple buttons to get though everything). It sure as hell wont be anything complex like unreal2k4. Another thing on the list is fixing clipping & posibly throwing lightmaps back in and droping the use of vertex colors. Lightmaps look 200 million times better even tho they are a little costly. Yet to do lightmaps, map editors will have to run the maps though a tool i will write to make them compatible. I also am thinking to rewrite the weapons setup. So the game uses a 3d weapon, a 3d projectile and a 3d animated explosion. Thies will be specific for each weapon so a moder can make different ones for each. I probably wont add much in the way of extern weapon custumization tho (like to change how it fires and etc). I am also thinking to do some wifi but not sure since I still have problems getting my psp & router to work together.

So that is about it at the moment. The only last thing is I am posibly going to rename the version and consider this 0.2 since there will be alot of changes made & just make the ps2dev compo entry 0.3 (still planning to do this).

So thats about it for my late night thoughts. Any comments or sudgestions people wish to add?

As for a release date. I have no idea. Depends how things go starting next week.

coo
April 13th, 2006, 15:45
man, someone got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning

so fuc* you. I like Iris

Timale-Kun
April 13th, 2006, 15:49
[sarcasm mode ON]
Very useful thought, it keeps us going forward
[sarcasm mode OFF]
Let guys doing work as they want to and showing a lil bit more respect will be appreciated^^

DPyro
April 13th, 2006, 15:52
Just ignore byerlyct. He posted from his public school and is just a little kid.

PSmonkey
April 13th, 2006, 15:55
guys no off topic stuff. From this point on. if its not about iris at all. the post is removed (please keep to that sniper).

--edit--
Repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.

--edit2--
If people piss me off on this. There wont be a m64 picture easter egg hunt this weekend

Demolition49
April 13th, 2006, 16:22
First of all i would like to say i admire your work and think you have done a great job with all of your progressive projects for the psp so far.

I think iris is a good game but, maybe you should design a menu, like story mode and battle... this is once u get a few things fixed, i think you should also focus on one aim at a time, like M64 your tryed to handle too many things :D.

You probably had that in mind already... but anyway cant hurt.

P.S I think you should spend 3 days M64 and 3 days iris because M64 is a good project and if your sucessfull you will enable many games to be played not just once custom made game, but i can understand you must enjoy making your own 3d game for the psp.

And how are you feeling?

Accordion
April 13th, 2006, 16:32
not that you asked me, but I think the best setup for controls would be like I use for playing PSPQuake
eg.
anolog nub= look/aim(much easier than buttons)
left trigger= jump/maybe hold to duck.
right trigger= shoot
triangle= forward
cross= backward
square= left
circle= right

the directional buttons can be for actions such as weapon change/item?/zoom?/online hotkey chat functions(in my dreams). this way you can keep moving while able to do anything

basically lefthand fps on pc

anyway can't wait for a release

DPyro
April 13th, 2006, 18:00
Ok heres my control scheme. Push down twice to crouch, push up twice to jump.

Demolition49
April 13th, 2006, 18:08
Nice But im not so sure about the change weap, may be a lil awkward.

But its good.

Accordion
April 13th, 2006, 18:41
seriously "my" method for down to change weapon is easy as you can still aim and run, wouldnt want to be stuck in one place trying to equip something better than a frying pan, axe, etc

maybe use select to taunt as it isnt easy to reach but shortly disables controls, so not a major feature

what do you think of the hotkey chat function, i know it's a long way off to wifi but it would be great to be able to quickly chat to online player. you could probably make a system to change the messages for each hotkey in a config file .

sniper, trouble with that method is you cant move and jump at same time, also in a panic you might try to run away but end up just jumping on the spot

go psmonkey

DPyro
April 13th, 2006, 18:41
Ya, the select button isnt very far from your thumb. And you gotta think, how often are you gonna change weapons :)

Accordion
April 13th, 2006, 18:46
see my last post on page 1

depends if when there is a wide variety of weapons they equip based on power cause sometimes a rocket launcher isnt too practical in a closed enviroment

PSmonkey
April 13th, 2006, 19:04
what do you think of the hotkey chat function, i know it's a long way off to wifi but it would be great to be able to quickly chat to online player. you could probably make a system to change the messages for each hotkey in a config file .

VoIP would be even better but that would take a while to implement.

VoIP = Voice Over IP. (live chat like xbox live). The PSP network bandwidth should be able to handle it since its 802.11b.

Yet again that would take quite a bit of time to do. Sure maybe unreal style quick messages would work but kind of suck. :P

BrooksyX
April 13th, 2006, 19:30
here is my idea for controls, it is like a cross from doom-psp and goldeneye for the 64

Analog:
Up= move forward
down= move backwards
Left= look left
Right= look right

R trig= fire
L trig(hold down)= enter free look mode, like on goldeneye,(use analog to look in desired deriction)

x= jump
circle= straf right
square= straf left
triangle= taunt

Dpad:
up=use, open door, turn switch, activate kind of button or veiw map (if added)
left=change weapon
Right=change weapon
down=crouch (press once to crouch, press again to uncrouch)

Start=Pause game/options menu
Select= main menu

Accordion
April 13th, 2006, 19:35
glad to see your pushing my expectations PSmonkey,
hell i will be happy as soon as i get a new release of iris however long it takes, or whatever the improvments.
keep up the great work, your the reason i refuse to upgrade from 1.5,i know it works on 2.0+ but i love the no hassle loading of such great games.
ps please please please try to get a release of iris out by 21st april as i live in the uk and socom gets released then. I'm very weak, but i may be able to hold out till may but then monster hunter and katamari come out .... don't make me do it!!!!!

DPyro
April 13th, 2006, 20:14
glad to see your pushing my expectations PSmonkey,
hell i will be happy as soon as i get a new release of iris however long it takes, or whatever the improvments.
keep up the great work, your the reason i refuse to upgrade from 1.5,i know it works on 2.0+ but i love the no hassle loading of such great games.
ps please please please try to get a release of iris out by 21st april as i live in the uk and socom gets released then. I'm very weak, but i may be able to hold out till may but then monster hunter and katamari come out .... don't make me do it!!!!!
:confused: You mean upgrade?? You can just use MPH Game Loader :D

grin.ch
April 13th, 2006, 20:25
I dunno. I don't like this game. I've tried it with the star wars mods and all... I just can't get past the sluggish gameplay. Don't get me wrong; it's a better game than I'll ever be able to program in the near future, but I don't like how the main char's legs move faster than he moves. And how analog is the control for all directions.

Accordion
April 13th, 2006, 20:32
grinch, shut up

because i live in the uk those games will require 2.60 and as far as i know only the genesis loader runs 2.60, but not the latest release(splinter cell), so for current loaders it doesnt seem likely.

i am sure some genius will find a way
(but im no genius )

sorry to go off topic but im getting no response in the thread (psp help: "run 2.0 umd video on 1.5")
anyone got ideas about running UMD videos which require updates through MPH loader, is it possible

BrooksyX
April 13th, 2006, 20:32
I dunno. I don't like this game. I've tried it with the star wars mods and all... I just can't get past the sluggish gameplay. Don't get me wrong; it's a better game than I'll ever be able to program in the near future, but I don't like how the main char's legs move faster than he moves. And how analog is the control for all directions.

i think the first version was more of a proof of concept and the next release will be better.

lunasicc
April 13th, 2006, 20:38
I like the control scheme on Syphon Filter : DM. If there was a way to implement those controls somehow into Iris, that would work out great.

BrooksyX
April 13th, 2006, 20:44
I like the control scheme on Syphon Filter : DM. If there was a way to implement those controls somehow into Iris, that would work out great.

could you say what the controls are for syphon filter are because i dont have the game.

Cap'n 1time
April 13th, 2006, 20:58
just hoping for more model format support! Skeleton support would greatly improve animation.

nightmare666
April 13th, 2006, 21:24
sorry sniper but i would rather have the anolog stick to move not the t pad
plus the t pad is better use for other thing like zoom ect
i personally like how the veiwing is in socom (kind of ) and the controls are ok
but maybe syphon filter is better but i dont got it
psmonkey ill see if i could thing of something

Produkt
April 13th, 2006, 23:00
I believe for model support, we'd only be able to use one format and MD3 or MD2 (for props)

but you can have multiple character model formats... thats just too damned congested and klunky...

psphack
April 13th, 2006, 23:03
Nice Youre Going To Get Iris Progress Thanx So Much (cant Wait 4 Halo Mod) And Youre Still Going To Get Some Progress On Monkey64 Great Job And Thanx Much

nightmare666
April 13th, 2006, 23:18
psmonkey you think youll be able to add the feature wich gives you the chance to shoot while running

chickenclaws
April 13th, 2006, 23:55
psmonkey you think youll be able to add the feature wich gives you the chance to shoot while running
Hah i think he already fixed that on his privet build

PSmonkey
April 13th, 2006, 23:55

Yes, It will look ugly but it will be there.

Next build is still Quake 2 models. Build after that (for compo) will be q3 bone models / Hl bone models.

Not fully sure how i will work that out.

Produkt
April 14th, 2006, 00:14
Quake 3 bone models? you mean you are actualy going to dig into the MD4 format?

You know it was never finished by Id... if they did finish it, they never released the source.

One fella by the name of Gongo in the QuakeSRC.org community managed to get it working in Quake 3, but there are no exporters for MD4... so he had to base his converter of of SMK!, which used HL(1 and 2)'s SMDs (an uncompiled .mdl model) to animate... the most logical thing here would be to ONLY support MD4 as its extreamly easy to convert HL1 models into MD4...

wolfpack
April 14th, 2006, 00:44
Iris is going to be (in my opinion) one of the best homebrew games, heck, i cant wait till the final release but i know thats going to be a LONG time from now most likely, but theres also some good mods in the making like Halo and Starwars, heck if i knew how to do any of the stuff for iris, id make a DooM mod :P, but thats just me, anyways, Keep up the great work PSmonkey!!

lunasicc
April 14th, 2006, 01:16
The controls on Syphon Filter are sort of like the one Sniper posted back in page one. But instead of using the dpad to look, you would use the joystick. To change weapons, you would press right on the dpad. The down on the dpad you could use to duck and up could be used to jump. The left dpad could be Misc.

Ill try to get a picture up for a better idea.

Edit: Heres my poor attempt for a control scheme. Thanks to Sniper for the original picture.

Zeemon
April 14th, 2006, 01:53
Not bad..I'm liking it. I like the little "Voice chat" idea...but I thinking your getting ahead of yourself!

DPyro
April 14th, 2006, 02:45
Would it not make sence to have the directional buttons and command buttons the other way around?

yaustar
April 14th, 2006, 02:59
Not really, how else are you going to aim and move at the same time?

Cap'n 1time
April 14th, 2006, 04:07
A while ago monkey discussed somthing about UT models. I didnt think that would be supported... anyway did anything ever become of that idea?

PSmonkey
April 14th, 2006, 04:11
A while ago monkey discussed somthing about UT models. I didnt think that would be supported... anyway did anything ever become of that idea?

Actualy I ment Unreal Bsp maps but i've put too much into building iris around quake 3 bsp. So i think i will keep it this way.

PSPHax0r9
April 14th, 2006, 04:28
Once again, this will be the greates homebrew game ever. I like how you're completely working out everything to get it perfect before jumping into something huge like wifi. I wait patiently for future releases. :)

Keep up the good work and good luck. :D

BrooksyX
April 14th, 2006, 06:06
The controls on Syphon Filter are sort of like the one Sniper posted back in page one. But instead of using the dpad to look, you would use the joystick. To change weapons, you would press right on the dpad. The down on the dpad you could use to duck and up could be used to jump. The left dpad could be Misc.

Ill try to get a picture up for a better idea.

Edit: Heres my poor attempt for a control scheme. Thanks to Sniper for the original picture.

so similar to the controls on sw battlefront 2, i think i like that idea or the idea i came up with:

Analog:
Up= move forward
down= move backwards
Left= look left
Right= look right

R trig= fire
L trig(hold down)= enter free look mode

x= jump
circle= straf right
square= straf left
triangle= taunt

Dpad:
up=use, open door, turn switch, activate kind of button or veiw map (if added)
left=change weapon
Right=change weapon
down=crouch (press once to crouch, press again to uncrouch)

Start=Pause game/options menu
Select= main menu

nightmare666
April 14th, 2006, 06:15
yeah locking characters may be cool but then it wouldnt be much of a chalange when play against live player
i think
but i dont like the idea of walking with the triangle i would rather move with the control stick as is now and to look up and down just use freelook ,like when sniping and stuff cause it would be kind of hard to look up and down wile in a quick fight with someone cause the only time you look up in halo is when eather they are to far or they jump

ps:i pm you sniper please reply

lunasicc
April 14th, 2006, 07:12
BigMace, yea Syphon Filters controls are very much like Battlefront. But wouldn't it be better to be able to look up and down while moving? It would be easy dogding and avoiding bullets when the enemy has higher grounds than you. Taunting shouldnt be that important. Maybe you should be able to taunt when you are directly over your opponent and press a button; sort of like in Socom: Fireteam Bravo.

stotheamuel
April 14th, 2006, 07:43

jesus it's an early build and he obviously too wants to change the controls this is what this is about.....

--

ahh yes the psp's lack of controls

i want to get a time machine. go back in time.. go to sony corporation and punch them in the face whoever suggested no two anolog sticks....

and ps

when are u planning on getting inclines in and rramps or ladders

because that imo should be released along withthe ability to aim everywhere

Accordion
April 14th, 2006, 15:16
seriously i think the only method that will work for controls is that of aiming with the analog nub _ and running in corresponding directions of cross, square, triangle, circle. I know it is awkward at first but the freedom for aiming any where will be a life saver in the heat of multiplayer. using face buttons to aim is very restricting.
all the buttons need to be able to be combined, a jump is no good if you have to stop moving to press jump

suppose it is up to you PSmonkey, whether IRIS will become a shooter- where aiming is very important, or more of an action adventure where it is more important to have analog freedom of movement to interact with obstacles. either way the game engine is incredibly versatile, and whatever direction IRIS goes i'll be following

PSmonkey
April 14th, 2006, 15:19
jesus it's an early build and he obviously too wants to change the controls this is what this is about.....

--

ahh yes the psp's lack of controls

i want to get a time machine. go back in time.. go to sony corporation and punch them in the face whoever suggested no two anolog sticks....

and ps

when are u planning on getting inclines in and rramps or ladders

because that imo should be released along withthe ability to aim everywhere

Already done. That was the 2nd major thing i fixed after the 0.1 release.

sroon
April 14th, 2006, 16:27
Do you think if the psp analog is used as the M64 emulator, will it have the control that when you slightly move the analog stick the character will move slowly, and when you bring the analog all the way up, the character will move faster?
Thanks.
Sorry wrong thread :o

stotheamuel
April 14th, 2006, 16:29
Do you think if the psp analog is used as the M64 emulator, will it have the control that when you slightly move the analog stick the character will move slowly, and when you bring the analog all the way up, the character will move faster?
Thanks.

a lil off topic but most likely yes i think

and thats awesome psmonkey and i'm guessing theres jumping now too

PSPHax0r9
April 14th, 2006, 16:30
Thanks.
Dude...wrong thread completely. But to answer you question, that would be easy to implement I would think.

BrooksyX
April 14th, 2006, 18:13
BigMace, yea Syphon Filters controls are very much like Battlefront. But wouldn't it be better to be able to look up and down while moving? It would be easy dogding and avoiding bullets when the enemy has higher grounds than you. Taunting shouldnt be that important. Maybe you should be able to taunt when you are directly over your opponent and press a button; sort of like in Socom: Fireteam Bravo.

it would be nice to look while moving if possible, but i dont know how possible that is for this kind of game on the psp, especially if there is a need for a lot of different buttons

hey psmonkey,
do you think there will ever be a chance that grenade support is added?

stotheamuel
April 14th, 2006, 18:19
oh good question... grenades :D

Accordion
April 14th, 2006, 19:41
look at my posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the control method i suggested lets you always have free look, and be able to move around, shoot and jump all at the same time
and then there is still six! buttons left for weapon change, item use, etc.

it is the best and only method for IRIS

(in my opinion of course)

nami
April 14th, 2006, 19:46
thats nearly the same like my quake config 4 psp
so its the best 4 iris xD

sroon
April 14th, 2006, 21:16
Is there like lazers or never before seen weapons?

chickenclaws
April 14th, 2006, 21:21
lol i like lasers u can shoot through walls like on goldeneye 007

metaldrmmer666
April 14th, 2006, 21:40
Iris is coming along really well do you have any new screenshots for us or thoughts on your favorite mods,or things you are definitly incorporating in the next releases
also some one made a mention of voIP for Iris with the socom headset is that even a possibility later on down the road? If so man that would be bad!!!

Accordion
April 14th, 2006, 21:48
the voIP was suggested by PSmonkey himself so i reckon it will happen,
i was being modest suggesting hot key text chat for online and he comes up with voIP
is there nothing PSmonkey cant do??

Produkt
April 14th, 2006, 22:46
I'm not sure where PS2Dev is on getting the mic to work in homebrew applications. Its entirely possible... there are several linux OS VoIP out there... he just needs the API stuff

Gary13579
April 14th, 2006, 23:38
Good luck with the controls, can't help you much there..
For AI though, I do have an idea.
It depends on how this works, it could get pretty messy..
As soon as the player gets within so close to an enemy, the game starts up a new thread which handles all the AI stuff. Then the enemy will roam around the map, walking towards the last known location of the player. I don't understand 3D programming that much, so this next part may not work all that well. If the player gets within a certain distance, or is within view of the enemy, then the enemy will fire. Then, depending on the enemy type, it will either move closer, move away, or fire.
The move closer/away thing reminds me of Quake 1, with some of the first enemies in the game. The ones with the chainsaw and grenades. If they have grenades, they want to stay so far back, but with the chainsaw, they want to be right in front of you.

If the enemy can't find the player after so many seconds, then it starts to walk back to it's original position.
Once back at the original position, the thread deletes itself. If the player kills it, the thread will also delete itself (and give any drops, etc).

Still very complicated, but that's just my idea.

BrooksyX
April 15th, 2006, 00:07
hey i wonder if any one can answere this question,
if wifi infrastructure is ever added will it be possible to play someone far away through a server or is that only possible with commercial games.

yaustar
April 15th, 2006, 00:13
Would Xlink help in that sense?

Produkt
April 15th, 2006, 00:27
No determination on that, The hope is to have a masterserver which would track all online based games so users could instantly find an online game and join up!

There may be a game server system (which would be needed for larger player amounts)

BrooksyX
April 15th, 2006, 00:36
that would be pretty sweet but it would cost money to up keep wouldnt it

Demolition49
April 15th, 2006, 02:15
PS monkey really has alot of ambition... lol u got yourself alot to do PSmonkey.

Produkt
April 15th, 2006, 02:43
I've got the resources... No problem there...

I've even built a machine to be the master server, didnt cost me a dime... well its going to cost 10 bucks but thats just to get a case... (but I'm also using it as my Divx/Xvid Player for my TV... because I'm tired of burning reencoding my videos...

DPyro
April 15th, 2006, 03:27
Heheh, I got my own Linux server too :P

Produkt
April 15th, 2006, 04:32
Got 3 :P the one I'm using for the server only has 850mhz of processing power and 384 mb of ram but its a chugger, hasnt gone out in the 2 years I've had it (Its backed up with a battery unfortunately, the switch and modem arent...)

DPyro
April 15th, 2006, 05:12
The one I got is a 900Mhz Celeron with 192mb RAM. :cool:

Produkt
April 15th, 2006, 05:39
AMD all the way, my other server is a 1.6ghz AMD with 512mb ram and a Geforce.. 5200 its nice... :P

behahwhoalalala
April 15th, 2006, 14:32
umm this is getting REALLY off-topic now! PS: do you think you could release a pre-0.02 like 0.15 for instance!

Accordion
April 15th, 2006, 16:33
actually it would be amazing to see some progress in some form, a screenshot would be good or a beta 0.2
just to show off whats happened.

hell i wouldnt care if it crashed 10 minutes in i just need a fix!

please take into account my last post, I can really see IRIS becoming an online shooter but some sort of adventure would be just as good either way IRIS will turn out much better than the commercial games atleast the measly number here in the UK. (Daxter nly came out yesterday, wtf?)

BrooksyX
April 15th, 2006, 16:59
you guys are getting a little ahead of yourselves here,
Psmonkey is still on break for a day or two more, im sure after that he wouldnt mind posting a few screens.

Gary13579
April 15th, 2006, 21:56
umm this is getting REALLY off-topic now! PS: do you think you could release a pre-0.02 like 0.15 for instance!
A version 0.15 would be higher then a version 0.2, and even higher then a 0.9.
The version numbering system differs from the standard english decimal system.
What you mean to say is v0.1.5.

Zeemon
April 16th, 2006, 02:09
Yeah-- but PSM isn't doing it that way...

-{PhoeniX}-
April 16th, 2006, 15:26
yeah PSMonkey seems to have alot of work, just take your time and do work when you feel like it, thats what I would do... anyway since you dont have to do all this work just want say thanks for effort :) and making the psp console more fun for all of us.

Produkt
April 16th, 2006, 17:11
If you wanna see a beta of Iris 0.15 (which I call alpha 0.14)

watch the Halo Mod Video... its running what we had a week before this video was released

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BHQy4_m68KM&search=halo%20PSP

behahwhoalalala
April 16th, 2006, 19:00
ok, not bad...

BrooksyX
April 16th, 2006, 19:29
wow this one looks so good, the other movie i saw only showed like 5 seconds of the game play. I see that jumping and moving up and down works.

Oh this just makes me want to it play it even more!

Zeemon
April 16th, 2006, 19:45
Other one....? And I don't see him looking up and down..

Accordion
April 16th, 2006, 19:57
yeah pspu showed a crappy video ages ago only lasted a few seconds and most of that was the loading screen.

anyway
I have been wondering how PSmonkey is aiming to develop IRIS. is he going to just create a fully functional game engine for other peaple to mod how they like, or are we going to see an official release from PSmonkey himself as a full game that he will develop as a team with others to form one game??

i will hope to get both although i, like many others would prefer original ideas to such Halo and Doom mods

BrooksyX
April 16th, 2006, 20:14
Other one....? And I don't see him looking up and down..

yeah i was talking about the one on pspu, and the up and down thing i was talking about is that you can move up to higher or lower ground instead just being on a flat surface.

acordboy,
i just hope he makes the engine so people could create their own story modes, but right now it seems as if it will just support deathmatch type games. Still that is fun too.

Accordion
April 16th, 2006, 20:45
I am with you there BigMace original stories would be great, and very important, if the mods contain a story and the engine develops further soon we could have both shooting mods and even some sort of 3D platformer. there will never be a need for commercial game again.

P.S.
(conspiracy theory- have any psp homebrew coders gone missing in the past few months, i reckon SONY have captured loads of programmers and torture them to force them to try and crack firmware 3.0, every time they hack it to run homebrew SONY adds more security to make it the most evil update ever concieved -why else has it taken so long to release another firmware-
some day in the future when these coders can do no more, SONY will release this update silently through the mains electricity network, as soon as you plug your psp in to charge the signals in the current will update your psp. Homebrew will be no more
If this ever happens do not blame me, this is a nightmare i had. i hope to god it is not possible

Pop-Tart
April 17th, 2006, 19:08
hi does anyone out there know the program that PSMonkey uses to make Iris because i wolud really like to help out cuss I learn stuff really quick when it comes to PCs and programing and stuff. Sorry this is off topic but I would really like to help out. Thanx

cant wait to see Iris a couple of years from now.

Accordion
April 17th, 2006, 19:14
years

I hope you mean it will evolve once it is released, if you meant thats when it will be finished your just plain rude
give a few months and it'll be finished
the version out now is bloody brilliant already

yaustar
April 17th, 2006, 19:30
hi does anyone out there know the program that PSMonkey uses to make Iris because i wolud really like to help out cuss I learn stuff really quick when it comes to PCs and programing and stuff. Sorry this is off topic but I would really like to help out. Thanx

cant wait to see Iris a couple of years from now.
I be guessing the PSP cygwin toolchain with a decent IDE such as Visual Studio, Code Blocks, Code Warrior etc. I could be wrong and he uses a form of text editor instead.

diamondx
April 18th, 2006, 04:19
PSMonkey, Iris is the best homebrew, imho. It is one of the only real homebrew (not ports) that actually looks good, and its not even 1.0! Personally, I think you should not worry about wifi untill after the first major release. If you get the game to look good and play good, then IRIS will be much much more popular. Then if you impliment wifi, you will already have a lot of players. If you impliment it now, there might not be that many players. Look at what happened with Halo CE... hardly any players, and that is much better than the original. Again, great engine, keep up the good work. Did you mention another PS2DEV contest? Im sure you'll win.

Pop-Tart
April 18th, 2006, 06:46
Sorry if I offended you accordian boy, I mean in the future I cant wait to see it evolve even more than it already has, maybe even on PSP2 or passed that. You can kind of say that I'm dreaming but this seems like a game that Homebrew people (and others) would love to see in the future of gaming. I think is awsome that you can have a massive variety of characters to choose from, its like an all in one game (Super Smash Bros./Unreal Tournement). based pluse Its on a handheld. You gotta say that is pretty ****ing cool if u ask me.

and thanx yaustar seems intresting ive heard about some of those I'll be sure to check them out.

Accordion
April 18th, 2006, 14:28
dont worry, be happy

Shaunhoare
April 19th, 2006, 11:02
That is spam...

X_KILL_3R_X
April 20th, 2006, 03:19
A version 0.15 would be higher then a version 0.2, and even higher then a 0.9.
The version numbering system differs from the standard english decimal system.
What you mean to say is v0.1.5.

Umm... Isn't 0.15 (or 0.150000000) lower because 0.2 = 0.20 or even 0.20000000? I could be wrong though.

X_KILL_3R_X
April 20th, 2006, 03:29
How about these controls?:

analog up: forward
analog down: backward
analog right: strafe right
analog left: strafe left
triangle: look up
X: look down
square: look left
circle: look right
R trigger: shoot
L trigger: jump
right arrow: change weapon
down arrow: crouch (two times to lay down)
left arrow: taunt
up arrow: zoom in or voIP (if made to work online)
start: pause menu with options and stuff
select: vote some body out menu (for online play)

PSPHax0r9
April 20th, 2006, 03:45
Umm... Isn't 0.15 (or 0.150000000) lower because 0.2 = 0.20 or even 0.20000000? I could be wrong though.
Yea, if you're going by this "standard English decimal system," that is how numbers are in the whole world.

0.15<0.2
can be proven by multiplying the whole equation by 10

1.5<2.0 <---true

But in programming numbering, sometimes versions are done like that, 0.9, 0.10, 0.11, etc.

Shaunhoare
April 20th, 2006, 12:13
I see...

BrooksyX
April 20th, 2006, 15:01
0.15<0.2
can be proven by multiplying the whole equation by 10

1.5<2.0 <---true

But in programming numbering, sometimes versions are done like that, 0.9, 0.10, 0.11, etc.

wait you just said the same but using lower numbers when you tried to explain it.

the reason this whole argument was brought up was a guy said that 0.1.1 is a newer realese version then 0.2.0

Shaunhoare
April 20th, 2006, 19:03
I started all of this by saying maybe it would be a good idea to release 0.15 and Gary then said 0.1.5 would be the correct way of announcing it! ahhh who cares now lets just stop spamming!

PSPHax0r9
April 29th, 2006, 01:55
I can't wait for 0.15 of Iris...
Really, I can't, when are you thinking this might be out (rough estimate - month or two, week or two, etc) :p

Keep up the good work, and don't forget about Iris. :D

Zeemon
April 29th, 2006, 02:45
Complete dito!

Iris is by FAR my most played and anticipated homebrew!

ENG
April 29th, 2006, 15:08
Zeemon, i agree, Iris is such a great game, with so may possibilities

max_hempfling
May 3rd, 2006, 03:23
i think u should make
analog: look around
buttons like triangle: go forward x go back and so on

Zeemon
May 6th, 2006, 22:57
Are you still planning on finishing up v0.15/v0.2 after you release the next version on M64?

PSmonkey
May 7th, 2006, 03:05
Are you still planning on finishing up v0.15/v0.2 after you release the next version on M64?
yes, i am debating on posibly posting what i have now as a pre release.

BrooksyX
May 7th, 2006, 03:11
That would be pretty awesome, are there many bugs? or just features that you want to add that you havn't had a chance to yet?

Produkt
May 7th, 2006, 03:58
Well, You wouldnt believe what I did today

Well its not that hard to believe... I went around newyork once more, Spotted the sony store, went in and checked it out. Picked up a copy of Socom and a Mic/Headset for my psp. Wile I was there I showed some people interested in PSP's and PSP games some homebrew told them what it was about how ya could get it ect... let 2 guys check it out Iris, and some other games. One of those guys actualy worked at the sony store, he liked it, but he didnt play games enough to want a PSP.

Any way after that I walked a good deal more, stoped by random shops then went to get a drink at an overpiced cafe... wile I was hanging out there a woman who worked at Paradox Interactive (sweden) was eating to and the lady next to me was talking to her, we eventualy started talking she wasnt part of production, more of a producer but we had a fun time talking any way.

So yea, my voice has been cutting in and out all weekend things kinda sucked in that factor, Had to write down my order for lunch on a piece of paper... ugh felt retarded... any way my Homebrew/Iris Ambasidorship has come to a close.

Be back tomarrow night, good night

r2works
May 7th, 2006, 04:47
the biggest thing that would make the game controls better for me would be straf left and straf right. I think some type of secondary attack (punch, kick, magic, secondary gun) would serve better then taunting. Great work by the way!

it you need any game menu/graphics done, I am happy to help!

Zeemon
May 7th, 2006, 23:50
I think a melee/kack, would be best..
And there is a strafe...try Advanced controls.

PSmonkey
May 17th, 2006, 05:23
Few small notes. I am currently bug fixing iris since I need to show it off to some people soon.

I am still not ready for a real release but it's probable i will do a 0.2 alpha release soon just so moders & currious people can have the latest.

jairolas
May 17th, 2006, 05:31
Few small notes. I am currently bug fixing iris since I need to show it off to some people soon.

I am still not ready for a real release but it's probable i will do a 0.2 alpha release soon just so moders & currious people can have the latest.

I´m currious! :p lol

BrooksyX
May 17th, 2006, 06:41
wouldnt mind getting my hands on a little 0.2 iris alpha release!

PSPHax0r9
May 17th, 2006, 14:45

You da man.:D

Zeemon
May 17th, 2006, 23:24
Great! I've been looking foreward to being able to test some of my 0.2 maps!

Briggzy11
June 9th, 2006, 10:52
Well atm the IRIS is going fantastic already but I do agree with things here including the controller schemes and the AI improved.

I was hoping that you would consider adding a menu and in game menu with lives, score, ammo left, Radar etc. I know I ask too much and I apologise but I do hope they get implemented in a future release :D:D:D