PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft refuses to rule out pay-to-play for 1 Vs 100

wraggster
July 10th, 2009, 16:43
Microsoft has refused to rule out the introduction of a pay-to-play model in the future for 1 Vs 100, the massively multiplayer online quiz game for Xbox 360 which launched in the UK today.

The game is currently free-to-play for all Xbox Live Gold subscribers for the duration of the first season, where gamers can compete in scheduled live shows and win real prizes.

"Our beta season is to see the interest in the game and the success of the game," Xbox Live marketing manager Tania Chee told GamesIndustry.biz, speaking in London yesterday at an event to mark the game's launch.

"In the beta season 1 it will be free for our Gold subscribers; moving forwards we have nothing to announce at this time. We ultimately hope it will be a resounding success so we can move forward into future seasons."

Asked whether Microsoft was specifically looking at introducing a subscription model, Chee said: "I don't know what's going to happen to be honest. It's a test for us to prove the platform will be a success."

1 Vs 100 is adapted from Endemol's successful TV format, and a live show will run on Xbox Live for the duration of the season every Friday and Saturday from 7:30pm-9:30pm BST. The UK version is hosted by James McCourt, with the first show airing this evening.

Yesterday's UK press launch, where invited journalists took part in a live game, was hosted by broadcaster Pat Sharp and the twins Martina and Melanie Grant, who became famous in the '90s as the faces – and hair - of ITV children's game show Fun House.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-refuses-to-rule-out-pay-to-play-for-1-vs-100

WhizzBang
July 10th, 2009, 17:04
I thought the point of this was to add some value for all the people who have purchased Gold and then hardly ever play an online game.
I was like that and eventually cancelled my membership (I was only really playing the occasional game of Hardwood Hearts for £40 a year), but I might have kept it up if there had been some interesting stuff like this around. Paying extra would be a big turn off.