PDA

View Full Version : homebrew problems. Need help!

katachristic
July 10th, 2009, 22:26
hey everyone katachristic here
im new to this forum so first iwanted to say whats up.
im having problems with the homebrew channel on my wii. ive been following instructions from youtube n ive even researched old forum posts from years ago. none of them were very helpful.
im smart enough to know how to NOT brick my wii but i pretty new to this and would probably require pretty basic instruction
im trying to install dvdx, homebrew browser, mplayers, emus etc

i started w/ a virgin 4.0u wii
so far i have...
installed homebrew via bannerbomb
installed the hackmii program
installed the ciosfixwad
sucessfully downgraded to 3.2u

my homebrew browser gives me an error like this
"failed to initialise FAT subsystem"

when installing di or dvdx i get the o so hated
error 2011 (dvd stub ticket)

and for an unknown reason my wad manager stopped working (i swear i did not change the directory so that isn't it)
i tried to install "IOS36-64-v1042.wad"
but my wad manager stopped working before i could. it just says that its unable to retrieve the files and give error "r=-1"

also i read that the ios wad mentioned above would fix the stub ticket problem. can anyone confirm this? Anyone please help!

thanx in advance to any helpers out there

VampDude
July 11th, 2009, 02:42
You do not need .wad files, or any (fakesigned) custom IOS firmwares...

Unless you are running illegal software/games, which I have to say that discussion on those aren't allowed on DCEmu.

You can get DVD related features to work from downloading and installing the official software via the Homebrew Browser.

katachristic
July 11th, 2009, 20:24
i am NOT trying to run anything illegal
i just need a dvd player b/c mine broke about a month ago (hot coffee incident, tragic but funny as hell ;) i may have lost my dvd player but someone who really had it coming finally got BURNED!!!)(literally) ha!

back to the topic though i got the dvdx error 2011 while using the official installer
this may no longer be relevant though b/c yesterday wiibrew released a newer version of mplayer ce that already has the dvd-video option
for some reason though i cant make this 1 work either.
i just get the background w/o the text all over it
i dont think thats bad b/c thats exactly what it looks like when it plays music
offfhand comment: even though mp3 isnt one of the formats in the list of supported files they still work! Awesome! sorry adhd
back on topic: maybe its just a little slow to load? i wasnt very patient w/ it and again adhd. i only gave it about 45 sec ea. time
maybe i should just try waiting longer.

tried to download it via homebrew browser but still got the
"failed to initialise FAT subsystem" error

as for the wad manager i got annoyed w/ its instability and dumped it entirely.
Good Riddance!
btw wads are not only usable for illegal things
it was the only way i could get the stupid thing to downgrade

BlueCrab
July 11th, 2009, 20:33
In downgrading the system you may have managed to break DVDX. There's no reason to bother downgrading, since it doesn't gain you anything now (unless you're planning on doing illegal stuff).

No normal homebrew requires fakesigning and other bugs that older firmwares had, so there's no real reason to do it.

My advice, upgrade back to 4.0U, since that was what was there to start with and everything homebrew wise should work with it. There's really no good reason to stick with an old firmware, especially when games start requiring the new firmware.

katachristic
July 13th, 2009, 01:48
so if i upgrade it back the dvdx installer will work?
but doesnt 4.0 block the dvdx installer?
i thought that was the point of downgrading.
b/c things don't work on higher firmwares
but if what you say is true then theres no longer any point in downgrading at all (due to bannerbomb) right?

btw what illegal things wont work on 4.0?
neither dvdx nor mplayer is illegal.

last question: isnt the new mplayer supposed to have the dvd support built in?
songs and pics work but if i try to play dvds then it just shows background like it does while playing music.

BlueCrab
July 13th, 2009, 05:56
so if i upgrade it back the dvdx installer will work?
but doesnt 4.0 block the dvdx installer?
i thought that was the point of downgrading.
b/c things don't work on higher firmwares
but if what you say is true then theres no longer any point in downgrading at all (due to bannerbomb) right?If you're using the Hackmii installer (which allows you to install Homebrew Channel, Bootmii, and DVDX), then it should work just fine with 4.0.

btw what illegal things wont work on 4.0?
neither dvdx nor mplayer is illegal.They should both work just fine (actually technically using MPlayer, since it uses decss is quite possibly illegal). The things that won't work include illegal wads and cIOS crap.

last question: isnt the new mplayer supposed to have the dvd support built in?
songs and pics work but if i try to play dvds then it just shows background like it does while playing music.I've only ever used this version (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/MPlayer_TT) of MPlayer to play DVDs. I've read that MPlayer CE can also play DVDs (and is just a fork of that version I linked to above). In general, you can probably just ignore anything related to the cIOS they "recommend" for MPlayer CE, since its only related to playing stuff back from an external USB 2.0 hard drive (in fact, I'd recommend steering clear of any cIOS from anyone).

katachristic
July 14th, 2009, 18:57
i had originally used the hackmii installer to get homebrew in the first place.
it installed homebrew and bootmii fine.
then it tried to install dvdx but i got error 2011.
i then tried to download it with hb browser but it failed to initialize FAT subsystem.
and whats a "decss?"

BlueCrab
July 14th, 2009, 20:52
and whats a "decss?"Commercial DVDs generally have video that's encrypted using something called the Content Scramble System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System) (or CSS for short). DeCSS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS) was pretty much the most well-known program back in the day to decrypt CSS (illegally, of course). Technically, I believe that MPlayer uses libdvdcss to do the work, and libdvdcss is technically unrelated, but still does the equivalent thing, and is probably just as illegal (although it has never been challenged in court).

katachristic
July 15th, 2009, 05:42
i suppose it could be but that would mean that the maker of that code system have some legal hold on all commercial dvds even though dvds are made by many different companies.
i doubt anyone making dvds would care...
i dont have a burner so i would have to buy their dvds anyway...
the people who would really be pissed at me would be the ones making the players

regardless, either my dvdx or my homebrew browser needs to be fixed. preferably the latter

dvdx-error 2011
hbbrowser-failed to initialize FAT subsystem

VampDude
July 15th, 2009, 23:59
Why don't you just rip your DVD movies to your SD and be done with trying to watch movies on your Wii via DVD.

You don't have a burner? Did you buy your PC in the last century, like in the 90's? Every PC has a CD/DVD burner, I rip and burn upto three movies to a single disc (not saying how though) and my Wii can read... Though my Wii reads all my DVD's, including Dark Knight which I watched just the other day.

All with avoiding the cIOS crap, listen to BlueCrab.

With the problem of your DVDx, I would say to re-install after deleting (using Any Title Deleter (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyTitle_Deleter) to delete).

katachristic
July 16th, 2009, 03:16
i know if you put a disc in the E drive then i can rip stuff off of it, but arent dvd burners seperate.
the great irony of this is that the Dark Knight is my test movie
slightly unrelated but can those really ancient VHS tapes be brought to the era of DVD somehow?
since dvds hold so much more than tapes i could probably get three tapes on one disc w/o doing anything too special.
still would like to fix the hb browser

special thanx to bluecrab and especially vampdude for all the help!

katachristic
July 16th, 2009, 16:13
cannot delete dvdx
safety measures of deleter prevented it
had to type this 3 times to keep profanity out of it
i know its bad when u cant delete something

katachristic
July 18th, 2009, 21:11
Why don't you just rip your DVD movies to your SD and be done with trying to watch movies on your Wii via DVD.

You don't have a burner? Did you buy your PC in the last century, like in the 90's? Every PC has a CD/DVD burner, I rip and burn upto three movies to a single disc (not saying how though) and my Wii can read... Though my Wii reads all my DVD's, including Dark Knight which I watched just the other day.

All with avoiding the cIOS crap, listen to BlueCrab.

With the problem of your DVDx, I would say to re-install after deleting (using Any Title Deleter (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/AnyTitle_Deleter) to delete).

first off now i am going to do away with the dvds and go completely sd (although i would appreciate a PM telling how u fit 3 movies on 1 disc)

second it turns out that my computer has no dvd support at all.
i would like to change that however
i can make software changes but i am not screwing with my hardware right now.
can the normal CD drive on my computer run dvds via some kind of software?
if not i might just buy a dvd burner that runs seperate and plugs into the CPU

third i have updated my although its up to 4.1 now

fourth i cannot delete dvdx b/c the safety nets wont allow me to

and lastly i did not buy my computer in the 90s
i built it in the 90s out of spare parts from my dads computer

im sorry if anything was repeated but im starting to lose track of where i have each issue posted b/c i say one thing that leads to another and then nothing is under the right thread.
perfect example is my sd explorer thread which is clearly no longer about sd explorer.

to recap everything i will make one list here and now:

i no longer care about dvdx or sd explorer
i have long since deleted anything having to do with those god awful wads
i have upgraded out of the dark ages and into the shining light of 4.1 (which coincidentally gave an increase in speed)

i still would like help with
homebrew browser (unable to initialise FAT subsystem)
Wii64 (error occurs when loading roms)
i would also like to discuss dvd burners

i think i will open a new and copy this post to it just to clean things up
thank you for dealing w/ me i am indeed aware that i can be a pain when i get pissed (especially since ive been waiting for my perscriptions to be refilled)