PDA

View Full Version : Why The Difference In Taste?

wraggster
July 11th, 2009, 11:25
Time to talk, time for Tell us Dammit. No, no, no. Time for TELL US DAMMIT.

Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, reader person.

You probably know oodles about us - more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob - and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban ya. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion.

Question: Dragon Quest IX goes on sale today in Japan. People are excited! People outside Japan? Less so. Why is there such a difference in gaming tastes?

http://kotaku.com/5312294/why-the-difference-in-taste

rancor01
July 11th, 2009, 11:52
I dont know anyone here in Japan thats excited.. Who exactly are you talking to about this? No great fanfare in Akihabara last week - I couldnt see that there were any special promotions concerning this Dragonquest.. 2 million pre-orders? Thats less than 2% of the country.. I wouldnt exactly call that "everyone"..

bumfacekilla
July 11th, 2009, 18:34
There have been differnces in taste regarding many titles across many platforms over the years and it applies to movies and tv shows just as much. I think one reason could be to do with cultural differences and values.

For example team based games are always popoular in Japan and there are always recurring themes such as smaller parts forming together to become a greater whole. That is the basis of many RPGs and also applies to popular franchises like Power Rangers, Transformers and many others.

But in the west, the idea of an all powerful lone hero or superhero seems to be more appealing and is apparant in lots of games and movies

Just a thought anyway, I could be way off the mark!

fg-54
July 12th, 2009, 07:29
There have been differnces in taste regarding many titles across many platforms over the years and it applies to movies and tv shows just as much. I think one reason could be to do with cultural differences and values.

For example team based games are always popoular in Japan and there are always recurring themes such as smaller parts forming together to become a greater whole. That is the basis of many RPGs and also applies to popular franchises like Power Rangers, Transformers and many others.

But in the west, the idea of an all powerful lone hero or superhero seems to be more appealing and is apparant in lots of games and movies

Just a thought anyway, I could be way off the mark!

That is also my answer.