PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #4) - Whats the Greatest Console Ever ?

wraggster
April 14th, 2006, 12:49
To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 4

Whats the Greatest Console of All Time

Well if like me you have had consoles for the best part of your life this is a really hard question.

But for me the greatest console ever was and still is the Snes or Super Nintendo.

The amount of truely awesome games has never been replicated on any system since, it had great games in every genre and didnt just rely on fancy graphics but it still had great graphics. if i was to choose a second fave console then the Xbox would be next followed by the Dreamcast.

Whats your Favourite Console of all time ?

Paiku
April 14th, 2006, 13:07
BOOO for xbox!

moogster66
April 14th, 2006, 13:08
I would have to agree with Wraggster that the snes, for it's time, was the best system. Great ground breaking graphics, and great games. But, if I was going to choose one system to own, for the rest of my gaming career, hands down Xbox. Since I can play Snes, Genesis, Neo Geo, and more on Xbox, the choice is obvious. The Xbox is like a gaming survival kit. If you were stranded on a desert island....., you get the idea. Alot of the gamers are all excited about 360. I have no real urge to buy one, and I own a 51" high def TV.! The price is too high, and the amount of games, right now, too small. I am so happy with my Xbox, even the 360 isn't that appealing. And I havn't even mentioned XBMC yet! Xbox rules, hands down.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
April 14th, 2006, 13:09
Easy no contest really the NEO GEO - AES nuff said though not widley supported in europe this has to be the king of consoles.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
April 14th, 2006, 13:10
ps how many post's b4 im not classed as a newbie lol?.

Sagan
April 14th, 2006, 13:17
I'd say SNES, too. But maybe that is because I have so many childhood memories with it.

psp4me
April 14th, 2006, 13:17
ps1, it was when gaming really boomed although the snes was very good too.

DCDayDreamer
April 14th, 2006, 13:24
Whats the Greatest Console of All Time ?

Tough question!, if you were asking about hardware sales, game quantities and quality, then some research would give an answer.

For me the greatest console would have to be the SNES purely for the enjoyment it gave whilst the kids were growing up. As a historical console, if it hadn't been so successful, the early collaboration between Nintendo and Sony would not have happened, the PSX wouldn't have appeared, the contenders for the crown would not have appeared, and it's probably safe to assume that the console gaming world wouldn't be as good as it is today.

What's your Favourite Console of all time ?

The Dreamcast, but I was always going to say that wasn't I?

toulvus
April 14th, 2006, 13:36
My favorite console would have to be the 3do by panasonic. It had some pretty good games, like gex, pe'od, wolfinstein 3d and of course lemmings.

Jonesyxxiv
April 14th, 2006, 13:55
I would have to say N64 because the games where awesome.

gotmilk0112
April 14th, 2006, 13:56
SNES had lemmings too. so did NES Genesis (megadrive) and PC. i liked genesis the best cuz it had Toejam N' Earl on it and had great games like sonic 1 2 3 and sonic&knuckles and golden axe and Dinosaurs for hire (shooting game like metal slug) but better than the genesis was indeed the SNES cuz it was great when it came out. SMW! :D

jono_brwr
April 14th, 2006, 14:10
lol first post ~
i havnt bin in2 gamin tht long jus strted wen th N64 was out but i hv played quite a few consoles nd i fink th psp is best coz of evryfin u can do on it followed bi th N64 coz i luved tht console lol

ps.im nt bein biased or owt 2 psp i jus fink itz gr8 :)

10shu
April 14th, 2006, 14:21
-the snes for it s huge game collection
-the xbox for all the emulator
-the dreamcast for the old time sake :)

mog
April 14th, 2006, 14:29
I would have to say snes for the best console.
I never had one when I was younger, but if i knew about all the snes games that weren't released in the UK... it would definitely have been my favourite console.
PS1 was probably my favourite console.
It's the only console where a game caused me to be physically ill, even throwing up!, because i had played constantly with no breaks (other than geting food or bathroom) all day and night for two days. That game was final fantasy 7! :p
When that game came out i was completely transfixed, and had trouble ever turning it off! :D

geise69
April 14th, 2006, 14:34
God these are always so tough since I have so many systems. It's too bad it's not computers cause I'd choose my AtariST 1040 and my Amiga 500. It is so tough though for me to choose a console. I guess for me it would have to be actually a tie between 3 of my systems. Genesis/MD, SNES, and my Turbo Graphx/Duo. The Genesis mainly because that really really really really boomed my video game habit. I was a casual gamer with my old Atari and Intellivision, but the Genesis was really where I was locked in a room for hours playing games. There's just so many good ones too me, especially since I'm a shooter nut! This was an era when shooters where shooters not classed as doom clones. Games like M.U.S.H.A Aleste, Gunstar Heroes, Thunderforce II-IV, Gaires, Verytex, Elemental Master Alien Soldier really had my thumbs bleeding. It was amazing. Then the Gensis had some great Action Adventure games that were and still are some of the best games ever. El-Viento, the Valis series, Sonic, Shinobi III, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion, Streets of Rage series there were just so many good games. If anyone even thought the Genesis didn't have any good rpg's they were wrong. It had great ones like the Phantasy Star series, Shining Series, Landstalker, Sword of Vermillion, Crusader of Centy, and Monster World IV were my favorites.

The SNES also has a special place in my heart just as much as my Genesis. My brother and I won it in a raffle from a radio station. They ended up calling us while on the air to tell us we've won. My brother took the call and I was playing Genesis in his room. All I hear is my older brother screaming hell yes about a million times. He ran upstairs and told me the news. I was so excited #1 because we were the first on our street to have a SNES before it was even out and #2 because I knew there were some great/amazing games coming out. I'll just list my favorites and you guys will understand why this is my other favorite. Actraiser, Castlevania IV, Contra III Alien Wars, Super Adventure Island (yuzo koshiro is the man), Street Fighter II, Dragon Quest Series, FF series, Super Star Wars, Axelay, Space Megaforce/Super Aleste, Super Turrican, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Ninja Warriors Again, Mystical Ninja/ Goemon TMNT Turtles in Time, and of course Super Mario World. These games gave me so much joy when I was younger and I still whip out my real SNES and the games don't feel dated to me at all. This was a time when games were "fun" and it was all about gameplay. These games still hold up even now. Everything from the graphics to the amazing sound. God I love that sound chip.

Now the Turbo Graphx/Duo is my other favorite mainly cause I'm a shooter and rpg fan. There were so many amazing shooters and rpgs for the system it was nuts. Especially if you were heavy on importing games like I was. Blazing Lazers/Gunhed, Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Air Zonk were my favorite HU card games. Nutopia I&II, Dungeon Explorer were my favorite HU card rpgs. The CD add on that the Turbo had is what really made it stand out from the Genesis and SNES. It amazed me at the time. I remeber popping in Ys Book I&II for the first time and thinking "holy crap real voices" haha simple times. Ys was and still is my favorite game for the Turbo. For me no other RPG can come close to how amazing this game really is. Not even FF as good as those games are. Also with the CD Audio for games I really loved cranking up the stereo and rocking out some Lords of Thunder and Gates of Thunder. The music in those games still are my top two for best video game soundtracks. I also have to mention Dracula-X. I got this game for XMAS in 93 and thank God I did with the rediculous costs it has on ebay. It just rocked so much. It was different than all the others in the series and it was great to be playing it on my Turbo Duo, and Castlevania music on CD is a good thing. With the addition to the Arcade card i was able to enjoy some near perfect ports of some of my favorite neo geo fighters. Plus I was able to play Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, which was another great shooter with music from T's Music. All three of those systems are special to me in their own way and I'm sorry that there's no way for me to choose. I guess I'll contradict myself and say if there was a gun to my head and I had to choose it would be my Turbo Duo, but it wouldn't be a choice I'd want to make.

P.S. sorry for the long ass post

Poem58
April 14th, 2006, 15:10
I agree on PCE/Turbografx...it is the only reason I will not upgrade my PSP....I have always been suprised that Silent Debuggers has never been updated on newer consoles....And popping out the hucard and throwing it in the portable...Nice...Too bad I sold Mine+Express+TVtuner+around 90 hucards....big mistake...even though I really needed it I only got $300 bucks :(

Eric
April 14th, 2006, 15:18
Well i'm going to have to agree with Wraggster. Right after i gave away my Nintendo and the Super Nintendo came out i got that thing for christmas. For the love of any video game systems that was my fav. Sadly i got a rid of that system when i bought my PSone and i'm looking once again to purchase a Super Nintendo. The graphics,the game play, the stereo sound and the fun with almost every game.

Today i dont have a personal fav cause almost systems are being used. I could also say that i couldnt rate a system do to the fact every system has good games so therefore every system is amazing. SNES was an exception as almost every game i played was just that great.

Eric

chaos-is-me
April 14th, 2006, 15:29
I'd have to go for the Sega Megadrive. Loads of awesome games, nice graphics and so many memories..

voorheesda
April 14th, 2006, 15:36
Oh yea ;D sega genesis and SNES ;=) dont know how many hours i wasted(spent) on those consoles :) Sonic.. Mario ;D

1* SNES
2* GENESIS
3* DREAMCAST

bullhead
April 14th, 2006, 15:48
lol first post ~
i havnt bin in2 gamin tht long jus strted wen th N64 was out but i hv played quite a few consoles nd i fink th psp is best coz of evryfin u can do on it followed bi th N64 coz i luved tht console lol

ps.im nt bein biased or owt 2 psp i jus fink itz gr8 :)
Your grasp of the language amuses me...

My first console was the psone. But all my friends had nes, snes before that, so I got a lot of time out of those systems. I couldnt get enough of mario. It had many other games I loved aswell. The psone though, it was my favourite. The first console I ever owned, and the amount of time I got out of that was insane. My first games for it were Ridge Racer and wipeout. Wow, when I repeat the names back to myself, they sound crap; I mean Ridge racer, come on!

geise69
April 14th, 2006, 16:17
Man Ridge Racer rocked and still rocks. It helped sell so my PS1 systems when it came out. It was one of the main reasons I bought a PS1 at launch. Well that and seeing the CG in Philosoma.

Larry
April 14th, 2006, 16:37
sega saturn here.
nights into dreams, baby.

kidloak09
April 14th, 2006, 17:15
SNES baby! All the way!

DimensionT
April 14th, 2006, 17:17
Turbo Graphix 16!!!!

It was out before the Super Nintedo and had graphics up to par. Plus, it was the first system that had a CD add on, which had better graphics and games then the Sega CD (the Sega CD version of "Lords of Thunder" was crap!) You could even watch CD+Graphics CD-ROMs, though there's only like 4 of them (we had a Jimmy Hendrix one that was pretty trippy :D.)

The books of YS will own you!

linkandzelda
April 14th, 2006, 17:19
definitely sega MD i love sonic 2 and n64 i love zelda OOT

Gamelver
April 14th, 2006, 18:12
SNES, by far...Hell, before MGA2 came out, that's all I ever played on my PSP and I love playing my ol' SNES (v1) frequently, too :). Unfortunately, I don't have all my favorite games for it (no Super Metroid!!) but it's still my favorite console :D.

Genesis second, though ;)..and N64 third...

mutantllama
April 14th, 2006, 18:22
For me, Sega's Saturn will allways have a special place in my heart.
It was the home to some of the most unique and original games ever (Soukyugourentai for shooter fans, Fighters Megamix and Marvel vs Streetfighter for fighter fans, NiGHTS into Dreams for everyone else!) and was one killer of a machine when chipped and modded. Oh yea, and lets not forget the Japan only Radiant Silvergun!
I was so sorry to see it go, after a wonderful six year relationship, but it was the only way I was going to afford to buy my Xbox, which does more than my Saturn ever could. I'm still torn between the two; joint fist place for the Saturn and Xbox :D

Datahax
April 14th, 2006, 19:56
Sega Genesis + Sega CD

Because it gave birth to 3 great series:

Shining Force
Phantasy Star
Lunar

vettacossx
April 14th, 2006, 20:47
SNES HANDS DOWN FOR SQUARE AND ENIX>>>>AND SQUARE_ENIX GAMES ALL THE BEST RPG"S AND KILLER INSTINCT!!! ULTIMATE MK3 (trilogy basicly for the snes) dk country!!! come on super freeking metroid!! mario all-stars, mario kart,kirby superstar, legend of zelda link to the past!f-zero2 !! star fox with the revalutionary gfx chip! and dont forget the forgotton uni-racers or warios woods, tetris attack, bust-a-move i could go on and on about gr8 games like contra3 and super punchout all day but ill leave you with these: ALL the FINAL FANTASY GAMES,legend of dragoon,breath of fire series,illusions of gaia,actraiser,and MY FAVORITE HANDSDOWN SNES GAME CHRONOTRIGGER WAY WAY AHEAD OF ITS TIME!!! AND IF SQURE RELEASED A NEW ONE TODAY IT WOULD SELL OUT QUICK!!! WORD UP

Hawq
April 14th, 2006, 20:55
Whats the Greatest Console of All Time
Whats your Favourite Console of all time ?

Surely that should count as two questions yes? ah well no matter I shall try to answer it anyway & since theres so many I may have to split into times for a bit of this

I have to mention the mk 1 Master System of course as that was my first console & had a nice built in snail maze game that had a tuine thats infectious, towards the end of its life it also had a good Mortal Kombat that earnt it a good position in my memory, any americans here will wonder wtf I'm on about as it didnt do as well there of course.

I agree on the Snes front though as well, Mario World was a marvel & still is & when the FX chip appeared giving us Starfox, not forgetting SF2 on the way as well, it truly beat the megadrive into submission for a while so definatly a strong contender for best ever.

The N64 also should be up there as Mario64 was turly a revalation at the time redesigning the platform game forever, apart form the odd one thats done in 2D as in the old days of course, often imitated never really bettered. Throw in such classics as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark & Blast Corps (yes I like Ultimate) as well as Pilotwings64, Wave Race (wasnt bettered for wave effects for ages even by the GC Wave Race) & I think we may have a winner. The only possible competitors to it really are the Nes or Master System as they came along after the crash to lift the industry back up so if they arent crowned they at least should get a medal for that.

For the favourite bit of the question though I'll have to go to the Xbox for the reasons given in another post, the emulators + XBMC combined these two make it an all in one solution for many things.

Kaiser
April 14th, 2006, 21:06
Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Altered Beast, Rocket Knight Adventures, Mortal Kombat, Cool Spot, Shining Force, Landstalker, Gunstar Heroes, Contra, Comix Zone, Earthworm Jim !!!!!, Fatal Fury, Splatter House, Phantasy Star, Vectorman ect; the list go's on.

muffinman
April 14th, 2006, 21:13
snes ftw i still play mine. Street fighter 2 is such a good game i just sit there with my friends playing it for hours.

JKKDARK
April 14th, 2006, 21:16
It is so hard........
DREAMCAST!!!! The DC was the console most funny for me. Who can say anything against this games? Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure, Phantasy Star Online Version 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Sega Marine Fishing, NBA 2K series, NFL 2K series, The House Of The Dead 2, Evolution, Evolution 2, Skies Of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare, Virtua Striker 2 Version 2000.1, and more games!!!!

felonyr301
April 14th, 2006, 21:26
sorry have to say it but the xbox hands down was the best console and for its time its better than the 360 too (i have both) it had everything you want to have in a console and first with its hard drive. Even after xbox live i was playing halo on xbconnect always a good times every time played we have 16 player matches and still be playing till the crack of dawn seriously best times ever.First time i experience something similar to lan parties and nothing can top the experience of playing with people you know in the same room and playing against other teams online it was hot basically. Very close second has to be snes because when i was little i never read or looked into reviews of games and every game i bought for it was hella fun no crappy games every genre covered ..nowadays you have to be careful when buying games cause a small percentage is actually worth buying... sad the gaming industry turned out to be...rushed out games...cutting corners its sad...

Cooe14
April 14th, 2006, 21:26
1. N64- No contest there, OoT and MM are the best games ever. While some other great ones are Rush 2049, Banjo-Kazooie, Starfox 64, and Goldeneye.
2. Genesis- Phantasy Star II is the best game that isn't Zelda :) .
3.Xbox- Great console with good emu and games.

The snes never really got me. The only games I really liked for it were LttP (of course :D ) and Super Metriod.

StealthCP
April 14th, 2006, 21:33
BBC Micro atw, hope it counts as it is a computer system.

Spynghotoh
April 14th, 2006, 21:55
The greatest console, I'd also have to say the Super NES just for the amazing game line-up and the fact that most games were not painful to look at due bad graphics. I had that problem with some of the NES games, ones that were too bright (I can't handle too musch of very bright graphics). I mean Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy 3, Super Mario World, I dare you not to like this console.

My second favorite would be the PS2 because of the Squaresoft (Spuareenix) games, Metal Gear Solid and Grand Theft Auto. Hours of entertainment on both consoles.

gavind
April 14th, 2006, 23:04
im sorry but i think the Sega sucked, i couldnt stand it then and i cant stand it now, NES and SNES were the best of there time and the PS1 kicked everyones ass when it came out, but the fact that the SNES had Super Mario Kart and Street Fighter II Turbo and all the other classics. To me all the crappy sega had was Sonic with its annoying repetitive music and the very bad design of a console.

Plus to add more to sega's downfall where are they now??????
ill tell you, there keeping afloat by producing games for the PSP, PS2 and other consoles and releasing 3D Sonic games one after the other because their not good enough to create a good console.

SNES and PlayStation rule forever !!!!!!!
and as the Lemmings would say *yippeee*

b8a
April 14th, 2006, 23:15
Congrats Wraggster! You really know how to pick the subjects that'll stir up the people. Must be the football-loving-hooligan in you (!_!)

Default answer: SNES. Sorry Genesis people, there was nothing that it could do that the SNES couldn't do better, and if the Genesis never had come along, the SNES almost certainly would have done many of the Genesis classics better. With the exception of Sonic (and a scant few others). That one would've been lost to the ages...

However, I'm surprised no one's brought up the GB/GBA. The GBA has abunch of the SNES classics that play just as well and fit in your pocket. Only real downfall is that in many cases the graphics take a slight hit. But I think that the sheer longevity of the GB line, coupled with it's ground breaking portability concept, makes it a strong contender for greatest ever. But, handhelds always have an edge up with me because I hate the idea of being chained to a TV.

On that note, my all time favorite is deffinately the TG16/CD/Duo/Express lineup. This is the one console franchise that will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart and memories. NO console has ever matched it's flexibility and originality. Heck, to this date there's never been any other console that's given you the option to take the exact same game that you were playing at home and stick it in your pocket to use on the road. And the CD was immensely important and ground breaking as well. It's a shame that the TG was never popular in the west, because a lot of people out there have no idea what they're missing. Echoing what Geise69 said about popping Ys in for the first time, you just can't describe the kind of emotions that TGCD games were able to provoke. Even now that CD games are the standard, the soundtracks for the (more than ten year old) TGCD games were awesome and memorable. Truly timeless. The whole system is the hands-down winner for me.

Special mention is the PS. No fan of 3D, but I think that there would be far fewer good 3D games today if the PS hadn't been there. Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, and Metal Gear Solid (and probably a few others I can't think off right now) are some of the most innovative, exciting 3D games I've ever played, and I think PS deserves mention for that. (Although it's deffinately not in the running for being responsible for, in my opinion, single-handedly killing off the FF series and for it's policy of actively discouraging 2D game development (!_!))

blaz3d
April 14th, 2006, 23:41
Ummm. . no contest. . .Xbox because it emulates nearly all your favorite classics flawlessly,
Xmame to turn a xbox into an ultimate arcade cabinet and dont forget xbmc:P

my emulator collection=my childhood(and everyone elses by the sounds of it!) and i still
give them a battering today

<3 Snes
<3 N64
<3 Mega Drive
<3 my old amiga (if no-one else does i do:P)

shortly followed by psp for trying to emulate everything under the sun:D

peace

HtheB
April 14th, 2006, 23:43
I think the best was Mega Drive (it had such great games.. it even had more blood on Mortal Kombat3.. while the Snes version was less vionlence)
and after that the Snes and the NES :)

RedKing14CA
April 14th, 2006, 23:53
Greatest would be a battle between the SNES and the N64...

My favourite is the PC.. but if your forcing me to choose between populaur gaming consoles, PSP (with everygame made, 4GB High Speed MS, and best battery... and my girlfriend... for the island question, LOL)

IndianCheese
April 15th, 2006, 01:21
PSP.

It plays videos, music, pics, and games
It goes anywhere (BIG BIG ADVANTAGE for me because I have little time to sit at home and play)
It can get on the internet and browse websites
It can emulate all of your "other" favorite consoles
It can play homemade games
Practically EVERYONE knows about it (Best Friend: What is this "GP2X" thing you got there?)
It is incredibly thin (though not as thin as the RAZR)
It can be used as a REMOTE CONTROL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
It does more stuff than the iPod which automatically makes it better
The games for it look at a more mature audience than the DS (Nintendogs? Super Princess Peach??? Come on!)

DCDayDreamer
April 15th, 2006, 01:51
It's quite funny to see so many kids posting about the modern consoles, it's as irrelevant as saying the latests pop chart is the greatest because old music sucks!.

Oh to be young and stupid again!.

gameman
April 15th, 2006, 06:46
Nintendo NES is the best system ever. NES is the system that brought the video game market back to life after the video game crash of 1984 that had wiped out or severely weakened all the major home video game companies. Nintendo was the only company that had the balls to release a new system and they are the reason the video game market is alive and thriving today. The system had hundreds games (perhaps over a thousand counting pirates and overseas titles) with classics like Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Contra, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Mega Man and Castlevania series… Metroid, Punch-Out!!, River City Ransom... the list goes on and on. How can it not be the best system ever?

gavind
April 15th, 2006, 22:00
Nintendo all the way !

NES
SNES
GB
GBA
GBC
(any other mini gameboys they brought out)
N64

think thats it

shenske37
April 16th, 2006, 02:11
Snes was byfar the greatest system of all time. i grew up with the system and also had so many very great games. (not in this order, these are great games off the top of my head)
1. all the mario games
2. Mk series
3. war of the Gems
4. killer instinct
5. street fighter
6. Dk series
7. starfox
8. megaman X
9. king of the dragons
10. zelda
the list could go on forever. Snes is awsome!

pinkpanther
April 16th, 2006, 06:05
dreamcast

larryg4
April 18th, 2006, 12:17
I've been into consoles since i can remeber my self. I worked for several years as a console seller in a toy store in Greece so i've played with almost all of them plus i owened quit few so here is my opinion,

Atari : i haven't read all the thread but this console along with NES were responsible for the rise of the console indursty.

NES or Famicom : Olders who owened one as kids sure loved it great games for it's time like Mario Bros , Zelda and others.

Master System : This one had better graphics than the NES but the majority of titles was not as good.

SNES or Super Famicom : The word "SUPER" describes it all, one of the most loved consoles ever , even nowdays the emus for this outstanding machine are most wanted ones. Great all time classic games with graphics good even for todays standards.(2D that is.)

Mega Drive or Genesis : The only true competitor to SNES the battle was head2head but in the end the machine lost to it's competitor.

Atari Jaguar : Should have been better the time it came out the technology was far ahead so this machine was doomed from the begining.

3DO : Nothing to say about this one as it wasn't imported in Greece.

Saturn : Not marketed as it should so although a good machine it was doomed against the :

Playstation : The new era of videogaming, good marketing and strong titles made this machine the king although from the majority of titles only a small percentage was trully good but that small percentage was huge in terms of the amount of games that this machine saw.

Nintendo 64 : Nintendos attempt to hit the playstation reighn this machine could do better if it was released earlier as it had some of the best titles ever to support it including my favorite platform of all time Mario64.

Dreamcast : This machine trully amazed me with it's graphics i remember leaving the Soul Calibur fighters excersing their technics and every customer that was passing by had his jaw dropped.
it's a pity Sega couldn't support this machine more.

Playstation 2 : Sony's speed from playstation continious with the current emperor, but although many games are good and there is backwards compability, many aren't but with this number of titles who cares, just choose a good one.

Xbox : The sofware giant's attempt to hit the console market wasn't as they predicted but it opened the road to a company that will surely amaze as during the next years.

GameCube : Same recipy for nintendo here , good machine , fantastic titles but the turn to smaller ages seems to obvious here.

Xbox 360 : Not much to say about this one as it's certainly way ahead in technology but it has only a few games and not real competition in it's field yet. Future will tell.

now for the REAL MONEY, an i say real because the future IS portable and the Emperor here for almost 2 decades is one, Nintendo.
I believe the favourite console for almost every kid is Gameboy , from the original to Advance SP , 2 generations have grown playing with one of them and guess what, the new emperor is rising and it's called DS. to tell u the truth i've never owned one, have seen Atari LYNX , i've owned a Sega Game Gear (grea tv Tuner), and now i own a Sony PSP (truly remarkable piece of hardware) but i've never questioned the rule of the MOST PLAYED console of all time GameBoy.
I know i have left out many other machines like pc-engine, neo geo, gpx and others but most of the others i've seen only as emus.
So after all this i'll say my favourite console was is and probably will be SNES although i like all of them in a way.
Devices I've owened in the following order:
Atary 2600
Amstard CPC 6128
PC 386 SX40 mhz
Super Nintendo
Sega Game Gear
PC 486 DX100 mhz
Playstation 1
PC P3 800 mhz
Playstation 2
PC P4 3,06 HT
Sony PSP