PDA

View Full Version : Develop: Home boss explains why Europe's behind

wraggster
July 15th, 2009, 16:41
Peter Edward, director of the PlayStation Home platform group, has tried to explain why Europe's PlayStation Home is so far behind neighbouring continents in terms of content and game spaces.

Speaking to Edge-Online at the Develop conference in Brighton, Edward put the delays down to localisation - and that's about it.

"I think localisation is a big part of [the delays in Europe getting content]," he said. "The expectation that spaces will be localised into at least the EFIGS (English, French, Italian, German and Spanish) languages leads to delays."

Edward's comments come after a statement by SCEE's Home community manager, who said: "Let's be honest, SCEE Home is behind the other regions in the number of Spaces we have to offer".

"There are other issues that you're no doubt aware of if you've read the post, [ones] more specifically related to the European business itself which I can't really comment on, but I think technically the big issue's localisation, and I think that's something that's always been an issue with the European market," Edward said.

"Since year dot, there's always been the issue of Europe getting things later than everybody else, and normally speaking that comes down to localisation. Home is no different in that respect which is why it's so important to get that stuff incorporated from the very beginning."

Home now has seven million users, three million of which are based in Europe, he added.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=219602