PDA

View Full Version : 12% of E-mail Users Have Responded To Spam

wraggster
July 15th, 2009, 20:24
An article in ars technia claims that 12% of internet users have actually responded to spam messages and tried to buy items. Although I find this hard to believe it does explain why my spam folder is always full."
Also in spam news, wjousts links to a Technology Review article about how spammers get your e-mail address, writing "E-mail addresses in comments posted to a website had a high probability of getting spammed, while of the 70 e-mail addresses submitted during registration at various websites, only 4 got spammed.

http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/07/15/1820247/12-of-E-mail-Users-Have-Responded-To-Spam

EmulatorII
July 15th, 2009, 21:46
12%?!

Wow.

Just...wow.

Shadowblind
July 16th, 2009, 03:27
Wow, 12% fail rate. Amazing :p

Xtreme2damax
July 16th, 2009, 04:35
Hmm I did this a few times before I knew spam was sent through botnets, or servers behind a proxy and was completely automated..

VampDude
July 16th, 2009, 13:23
I quite often reply to those who have stories, about how their father died and because he tried to overturn a powerful political leader many years before being ruled out of the country to a prison (or whatever?) the family of his fortune cannot claim his money... They make me laugh, so I ask for more stories. :rofl: