PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #6) What System Will Win the War ?

wraggster
April 16th, 2006, 10:46
To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 5

What System Will Win the Next Gen War ?

Heres a question with 2 answers one for handhelds and one for consoles.

Handheld War

The handheld war is a great worldwide battle with one console an all powerful beast that displays fantastic graphics and the ability to play movies, MP3s and view photos as well as games, im talking about the PSP of course, the second main console is one that has good graphics but innovation leads the way with a built in microphone and the touch pad. Then you have the minnows the GP2X and the XGP, the GP2X is an excellent homebrew system but neither will do well on the world stage commercially.

So PSP or DS, well even though the PSP has better graphics it does have its problems too, too many ports from PS2 and faulty UMD Drives, the DS doesnt have the killer graphics but it does give you the better gameplay and much longer battery life and if the right games come out to use the stylus more and im talking FPS and RTS games then i think the Nintendo DS Will win the Handheld War.

Console War

3 contenders here, the PS3 with its supposed all conquering power, the Xbox360 with less power but a massive lead over the other consoles and the Revolution, the one with the least power but the one with that weird controller and the ability to play most Nintendo Console releases ever.

The PS3 because of the success of the PS1 and PS2 has the brand name advantage and especially in Japan it seems to be the one they want.

The Xbox360 will always do better in the USA and Europe and with the stream of PC games on the Xbox 360 and its Xbox Live service and the power it should do well.

The Revolution is the dark horse, after the Gamecube took a kicking Nintendo needed to fight back and the gamble on using a less powerful but more innovative console will be an interesting one, the ability to play GB, GBC, Snes, N64, GBA and Gamecube Games on this Console is a massive selling point, if they use the DS as a controller and employ a free worldwide online gaming service like they do with the DS then who knows.

So who will win, i personally think that the PS3 will win the Console War although i would prefer the Nintendo Revolution to win.

Whats Systems do you think will win the Handheld and Console War ?

chrisrulz555
April 16th, 2006, 11:20
Well since the PSP has been outselling the DS (At last check this was true) I think it will be the psp by a longshot for the Handhelds.

As for Consoles, I am an Xbox fanboy buy I still think Sony will win, because they have a larger fanbase than Xbox and also it is something of a "Can still be cool if you own one" item. If you own an xbox you seem to be a geek, if you own a Playstation your cool. Also backwards compatibility, if you are already on playstation you will have many games that can be played on the ps3 already, why waste the effort of switching to a new console? If Microsoft wants to win they will have to get people such as PC gamers and people who don't usually game to buy the 360. As you may have noticed I haven't mentioned the Revolution. Well I think it may be clear that it will not win this next-gen war because too many people care about graphics and when Nintendo announced no HD support alot of people I know, mainly playstation owners, starting saying OMFG THEY IDIOTS PLAYSTATION WILL PWN YO ASS NINTENDO and other things like that. Also Nintendo seem to be marketing their consoles as a "Great Second Console" with the low price tags, they did this with the GameCube and it got them nowhere sadly. So in conclusion it will be PS3, Damn I hate sony, they don't care what their customers ask for, they pretty much say SCREW YOU!! to the rest of the world and give japan all the attention, they lie ALOT, they mislead the consumer with tech demos and yet somehow people still like sony, COME ON PEOPLE WAKE UP!!

chaos-is-me
April 16th, 2006, 11:48
Ds and PS3.

Although i'd like to see the Revolution win we all know its going to flop in all places other than Japan as the western market is fickle and don't care for anything but looks and graphics.

I will be getting the Revolution at launch though as it looks to be the most interesting.

wraggster
April 16th, 2006, 12:03
We as gamers know which are the better consoles but we arent the people writing articles in the national presses of each country. One of the reasons why the PS2 killed the Dreamcast in the UK ws because of the newspapers saying that the PS2 was the best thing since ssliced bread.

idapimp
April 16th, 2006, 13:40
i have to say that i live in the U.S. but xbox 360 is cool and all its not the most poplular thing on the market. honestly the psp may be outselling the DS here. but in japan the DS lite is stoming the sells on everything. but the revolution is inovative nad clecer. and i want one just because of the controller, but i think that it all depends on social class. the PS3 is supposedly gonna be expensive as hell, while the revolution is supposed to be fairly cheap.so all the lower class people here in the U.S. plus the nintendo faithfuls and the people who are looking for something different will be buying a revolution.

DCDayDreamer
April 16th, 2006, 14:48
Whats Systems do you think will win the Handheld and Console War ?

History tends to repeat itself, any console released (handheld or not) with 'Playstation' in the title will grab the majority of the sales, it doesn't matter if it's the best choice or not, that's what the general public go for. So it's probably a safe bet to say the PSP and PS3 will get the majority of worldwide sales.

A while ago (just before the X-Box 360 launch) I spoke with an old gaming friend (who's a big X-Box fan by the way), he came out with an extremely profound statement which went a bit like this:
"It doesn't matter what MicroSoft do, the majority of gamers are male, everyone I know would rather have a machine that associates itself with Lara Croft and not Bill Gates. Think about it, he's one of the richest men in the world, but where's the babes?. Back in '95, Windows was destined for success, but that Christmas most teens were checking out Lara's butt on the PSX while the geeks were rebooting out of the Blue Screen of Death. Now if they'd have called it the XXX-Box and Halo's main character had the hotpants things might be different."

A controversial statement to say the least, but there might be more than just a hint of truth in there.

djj1992
April 16th, 2006, 16:48
it's a psp forum what the hell do they think?

SSaxdude
April 16th, 2006, 17:26
I think many people who say they are waiting for the PS3 will change their minds when they see the price tag, and that the graphics aren't as good as Sony said. The Revolution will have a strong launch among Nintendo fans, but after that it won't do so well. The virtual console thing with the Revolution will only do good with strong anti-piracy people, little kids, and those who have never heard of NesterJ, ZNES, and Project 64. The 360 is what I believe will win the console war because of Xbox Live and the price compared to PS3. I expect 360 sales will jump when it becomes more available and when Gears of War is released. It comes to this: you could buy a 360 and a Revolution, or just a PS3.

andrewgabriel77
April 16th, 2006, 17:26
In handhelds I believe the PSP will out do the rest, especially if they get some decent addons (like a keyboard or even a cellular broadband addon). Not to mention the fact of being able to download ps1 games at some point in the future.

Home consoles will be the PS3 which will only further the PSP itself...not only will they be mutually interactive but if they do open the linux on the hdd homebrew will reach a whole new level for both systems.

lumo
April 16th, 2006, 17:34
DS is winning handheld war in US and japan (unfortuantely everyone hates DS here in UK) and i believe it will continue to beat PSP

on the next gen front i think ps3 will win purely because of its brand name. i personally will not get one unless i win one, same way i got my ps2. revolution should win but wont, but im getting one anyway

muffinman
April 16th, 2006, 18:53
psp will win the handheld war in the long run mainly because of homebrew and the features which should go on it. If sony make the right moves aka bring out some good games and a keyboard etc i think it will outsell the ds easily.

Next gen consoles wise i'm backing ps3 atm. The main reason for this is i like my rpg games on a console and xbox dont seem to have alot of them + I have a decent gaming pc so my fps's and rts's are bought on that. Well ill be buying a ps3 and a revolution propably because the revolution will just be fun.

gavind
April 16th, 2006, 19:01
Handhelds

PSP by far, best graphics, homebrew, movies, accesories, mp3's, photos and everything else thats great about it

Consoles

PS3....because like a lot of people have pointed out, its a Sony product and anything with PlayStation in its name will sell. Yeh it has a big price tag but didnt the PS2 at first? The great advantage is you can use all your old games on it and everyone knows the PlayStation style and seems to like it.

However I do think that if the PS3 does not do very well they will not make a PS4 as they are losing money on each console sold and soon it will be getting to the point where graphics dont matter, people want quality games that have a replay value which keep them coming back to them not some game with awesome graphics, poor gameplay and no plot/meaning/storyline/point (u get the picture)

slayer2psp
April 16th, 2006, 19:10
360 very cool the ps3 is lots of money and lots of problems you think the 360 had problems just wait youll see and nintendo is a joke less power then the og xbox and some lame ass controller who cares about old games its all about hdtv get a clue nintendo the fanboys will be mad. but i work at a gamestore people are buying the 360 right now like hotcakes i work at a slow store and we sold 12 360s in a day and like i said im at one of the slowest stores its crazy microsoft did a good job by being first i still think sony will catch up at some point but in the end who cares the more games the better. buy all of them have fun play what you like and in the end who really cares who wins the gamers are the real winners

slayer2psp
April 16th, 2006, 19:16
psp will win the handheld war in the long run mainly because of homebrew and the features which should go on it. If sony make the right moves aka bring out some good games and a keyboard etc i think it will outsell the ds easily.

Next gen consoles wise i'm backing ps3 atm. The main reason for this is i like my rpg games on a console and xbox dont seem to have alot of them + I have a decent gaming pc so my fps's and rts's are bought on that. Well ill be buying a ps3 and a revolution propably because the revolution will just be fun.
the ds has lots of homebrew as well and ever retail game works on my ds and none of that lame as firmware updates i have over 300 games for the ds its got tons of games and the ds lite is coming. dont get me wrong i love my psp more then the ds but the ds can do just as much as a psp you just need a m3 cart and your good to go the ds is vry good if you get a flash card

quzar
April 16th, 2006, 19:21
I say DS and revolution. DS already has an astounding majority over the psp outside of the United States and as more killer 1st party titles appear it will continue to gain market share.

The reason I say revolution is that the xbox 360 has already proven to be, relatively, a faliure. It is too expensive, not backwards compatible(as promised), and complaints about the size of it and it's power adapter abound. The PS3 will be out of the race due to: wavering concerns over it's repeated delays, extremely high release price, lack of support for the blu-ray format making it loose the place the PS2 had as a cheap player for a new format (a good percentage of first day sales for the ps2 were made without a game because at the time it was cheaper than any dvd player on the market), and no killer launch games lined up. Now someone above said something about the playstation name that I feel should be rectified. The first playstation sold extremely well because it was 3d and was 100$ cheaper than the competition. The second playstation sold well because it was backwards compatible, and was a cheap dvd player. The third one... well, it's expensive, not a player for a 'wanted' new format, and isn't offering anything new in terms of graphics. On top of that, if sony keeps up with it's track record of horribly made first run products, the ps3 will garner itself enough negative publicity early on to help sink future sales.

The revolution on the other hand is offering something new (controller format) is offering a lineup of innovative games as well as iconic series, will be pice extremely affordably, and will allow you to play (cheaply or for free) a multitude of games that will appeal to the nostalgia of older gamers.

shadowprophet
April 16th, 2006, 20:08
Yeah go ahead and laugh.
But nintendo has always had the highest quality games and hardware.

how many psp's and ps2 have you had to take back and exchance because of busted pixels or D.R.E?

Damn skippy. sony doesnt even know what quality is!

But nintendo
they dont seem interested in rapeing people at cash registers for every penny they have.

I think its time people woke up and realized, no matter how much people like video (http://bestway.com/?free-music-video) games. There a limate to whats reasonible to pay for such a hobby.

And I hate to say it cause I know some people would find it offencive to call it a hobby or a past time.

But to us mentaly healthy people thats what it is ;)

Im going with nintendo all the way this time.
You wont see me buying a ps3 for a while for many reasons.
reason # 1
I already have an xbox 360. And no matter who sais what about. Ohh but there getting better games now then they where at launch. The 360 is still a failure in my eyes and many other peoples aswell. Its just a sucky frankenstine of an ugly basterdised mini tower pc laied on its side :mad:

reason # 2 Every playstasion that has ever been launched, has had bugs in its first generation hardware.
Meaning, I guarentee there will be people spending 500+ dollars on somthing there going to have to send off or take back. (Thats FACT)

Reason # 3 A fool and his money (http://shopperguide.net/?need-assistance-with-money) are soon parted.
six hundred dollars!!

WTF IS SONY THINKING!!

Ill be getting my ps3 after the first price drop. By that time it will have either failed or passed consumer tests (http://hotoffers.com/?help-with-tests). and most of the, locking, crashing,freezing, read error, bugs will have been worked out.

Reason # 4
Sure there will be that one game everbody just must have. But ultimately system launches are relitivly weak. with only a hand full of games,most of which are sports and raceing titles designed for a quick cash in.

yeah ill get a ps3. and as big as a metal gear solid fan as I am. its just not enough to make me raid my cash stash, (600.00 F~N $! WTF SONY:mad: ) And besides within one year the price will have droped and all those must have games will be esily found

And im willing to bet because of the price diff alone, nintendo will sell a lot faster and have a larger user base then the other platforms.

i mean come on, how many people had it planed to get a ps3 and a revolution?

Thats right almost everbody.

Nintendos a given, they may not be at there prime or on top of ther game, But there still everwhere videogames are found.

I dont know about you guys. and I realize that everyone here is a fan of video games, But when a market giant tells me there going to raise the price of there goods and ill pay it cause im (hard core)

Well that shit just doesnt fly with me :confused:

Long live homebrew!! And long live emulation!!
Long live free gameing!!

(Shadowprophet, proud spokesperson of the SRUAD)

Sonys rapeing us all damnit!! :p

Eric
April 16th, 2006, 20:34
Well to me its not really how powerful a system is its what the games are going to be like. All systems have great games even that CDi system has some good games for short life span it had. But competition wise if people are going for a PS3 cause its going to be the most powerful and from what i heard plenty of people want the PS3 cause of the power then there might be a possibility it will be the leader. Right now for me there is no personal fav system. If i was going for the system not for game play then i would say the worse system i have right now is PS2.

Eric

pspfan
April 16th, 2006, 22:49
Handheld:
In Japan, the DS will win with pretty much no competition.
In the US, I think it'll be a lot closer. PSP wins in my book regardless, but until it gets better games, and because of the new DS Lite, the DS might "win" the sales, but I still think the PSP is 20x better.

Console:
It's hard to say now, but I know with all the postponing many people are mad at Sony, but I guess I still think the PS3 will win. Again, Japan could be different.

b8a
April 16th, 2006, 23:42
My appologies, this is a long post. Please skip to the next one if you'd like (!_!)

I'm really surprised at some of the early responses to this. There was no media conspiracy that lead to Sony's success. There was no "coolness" factor to it. Sony won the early first two next-gen rounds simply because Nintendo dropped the ball over and over again. Heck, I'm sure everyone knows that the PlayStation was originally just a SNES add-on. Not only did they fail to give us SNES CD compatibility, but then they failed to bring a next generation console that used CD media, which was a mistake. Nintendo, having been the clear favorite in all of the previous handheld and console markets, was virtually guaranteed success that they could only loose through massive poor decision making, which they did (you knew that things were terribly amiss when Square abandoned Nintendo), and that opened a vacuum in the next generation console market.

Which brings me to Sega. I don't get what some people are talking about with Sony being the "cool" choice. The "cool" choice in every generation was Sega. Unfortunately, with the Genesis, they deffinatively proved that they didn't know what it takes to create an optimum gaming system, and I think that the public at large was rightfully skeptical of their ability to deliver a winning console from that point on. I taped the first run of Evangelion off of TV in Japan, and everytime I watch it, I see those first generation Saturn commercials for games like Sim City, Virtua Fighter, flying simulators... "realistic" games that comprised the bulk of the Saturn's early lineup which set them up for disaster. Most people already have sufficiently real lives and turn to video games more for entertainment. And that's what the PlayStation delivered. Fun, entertaining, next generation games that everyone could get behind. The other consoles didn't, and that's why the PlayStation won.

To this day I don't understand what the appeal of the Dreamcast was to anyone. I understand that it's got a strong cult following, but do you diehard fans actually think that the Dreamcast stood any kind of a chance? I mean, I'm a diehard PC Engine fan, but I'm not about to say that it ever stood a chance at real success overseas. It was marketed poorly, there was a very limited selection of games available, the games that were available failed to resonate with most people, and there was virtually no effort to create games that were relevant to the overseas market. For me, it was a great choice, but I understand that for most people it just wasn't. That's the way it was with the Dreamcast. True story: a guy I used to work with always used to go on and on about the system, trying to get me hyped up about it. One day he actually brought in a brand new system and offered it to me for free. I felt kind of bad, but I declined because I literally, honestly had absolutely no use for it. There were no games for it that I wanted (the only ones that looked interesting were Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio, but I doubted that either would offer any real game play), and it didn't offer me any useful functionality.

Which is where the PlayStation 2 comes in. Once again, it didn't take a conspiracy or mass public brainwashing for it to succeed. In the first year of the console's life, I knew more people that bought it strictly for it's DVD playback capability than anything else. That got it into more people's homes, and people who weren't gamers otherwise already had their choice made up for them about what system to buy games for.

So why I am rambling on about all this? I'm trying to, very clearly, make the point that a system has to be fun or otherwise valuable to the majority of people in order for it to succeed. I think that a lot of gamers tend to forget that a majority of the people are NOT gamers. In fact, a mojority of people are females, who, in fact, happen to largely be non-gamers. And this is why I think that the next generation is going to be a tough call. The new systems are pushing realistic (but still clearly fake) imagery that the majority of people just aren't going to care about. It is, and will always be, a neat novelty, but without some fun, exciting games, all of the next generation consoles are going to bomb, and declaring a winner in the race will be a largely meaningless gesture as it would kind of be like being voted most popular dork. A dubious title at best.

I think it's way too early to speculate the winner. I hate both Sony (yes, to all of you people out there that think that Sony won because everybody loves them, think again. Sony makes awful, fragile products, and I've supported the PlayStation line in spite of the Sony name, not because of it) and Microsoft, so I don't really want either to win. But of the lesser of those evils, I want Sony to win because it should be fully backwards compatible and I would rather have a clear successor so that I'm not faced with a situation years from now where I HAVE to keep three different consoles laying around in order to enjoy the different libraries. Unfortunately, the Blu-Ray aspect of the PS3 is a non-factor this time around (much like the UMD aspect of the PSP), so I think this next generation is going to be decided soley upon the strength and popularity of the titles that are brought out. I truly hope that it doesn't happen, but if MS can manage to produce some good, solid, popular titles, I think they have a chance at succeeding. I don't think that the 360's lead will factor in at all. The Genesis enjoyed a similar lead over the SNES, but still lost in the long run because the SNES ultimately delivered more. I think the same will be true for PS3 vs. 360. I think at this point, most people think of Nintendo products as "toys", so I think the Revolution only stands a chance at truly winning if both MS and Sony drop the ball entirely with their software lineup and fail to release any big name games that catch the public attention.

As for DS and PSP... The DS should win this one. It's clearly more popular and fun, but Sony has a history of pushing and pushing until their product succeeds, and if they ever let the PSP live up to it's full potential, the DS won't be able to hold a candle to all of it's built in functionality and technical specs. Of course, by that time, Nintendo will probably have their next handheld out and it won't be an issue of DS vs PSP anymore, which is why I think this current generation favors the DS. It's just taking too long for the PSP to build the momentum that the DS already carried over from the GBA.

Sorry for the long post(;_;) I felt that I had to say all of that.

DCDayDreamer
April 17th, 2006, 00:24
Sony could put whatever price tag they wanted on their consoles, and people will pay!, they only have to go down the tried and tested formula of producing a vast catalogue of games for their machine, it doesn't matter what the quality of these games are - if there's more Playsation games on the shelf than any other system, people will go for the Playstation, backwards compatability is the key and they know it! (luckily other companies have finally got the idea!). People are like sheep, they'll follow the herd into the slaughter house!.

Sony are not stupid when it comes to hardware, they are the masters of double standards, they are more 'on the ball' when it comes to piracy than any other company, other companies expend vast amounts of time and money on anti-piracy measures when Sony do just enough to ward off the blatantly obvious. All they have to do is send out the testing prototypes of the PS3 to the respective companies and include something similar to the infamous 'boot disc' of the PS2, "oops!, we didn't want to give you that, can you send it back please?".

Sony's biggest gamble was the DVD format on the PS2, they were well aware of the future potential of the format, but what about the games?, easy solution - release half of them on the CD format, many have got a CD burner, very few have a DVD burner, we'll go for the all in DVD format later!.

As for the PS3?, how many Blu-Ray burners are out there?, should we or shouldn't we go with the format?. Sony is watching the Blu-Ray with keen eyes, when the time is right the PS will be Blu-Ray compatible.

The PSP isn't doing as well as Sony expected, the sales figures are there, but Sony does not have the handheld legacy of Nintendo, one thing is for sure - you can guarantee they've got something up their sleeve for the future.

Conspiracy?, hell no!, the truth is out there!.

shadowprophet
April 17th, 2006, 02:18
Sony could put whatever price tag they wanted on their consoles, and people will pay!, they only have to go down the tried and tested formula of producing a vast catalogue of games for their machine (http://hotoffers.com/?coffee-espresso-machine), it doesn't matter what the quality of these games are - if there's more Playsation games on the shelf than any other system, people will go for the Playstation, backwards compatability is the key and they know it! (luckily other companies (http://activejump.com/?help-with-companies) have finally got the idea!). People are like sheep, they'll follow the herd into the slaughter house!.

Sony are not stupid when it comes to hardware, they are the masters of double standards, they are more 'on the ball' when it comes to piracy than any other company, other companies expend vast amounts of time and money (http://fonefinder.net/?assistance-with-money) on anti-piracy measures when Sony do just enough to ward off the blatantly obvious. All they have to do is send out the testing prototypes of the PS3 to the respective companies and include something similar to the infamous 'boot disc' of the PS2, "oops!, we didn't want to give you that, can you send it back please?".

Sony's biggest gamble was the DVD format on the PS2, they were well aware of the future potential of the format, but what about the games?, easy solution - release half of them on the CD format, many have got a CD burner, very few have a DVD burner, we'll go for the all in DVD format later!.

As for the PS3?, how many Blu-Ray burners are out there?, should we or shouldn't we go with the format?. Sony is watching the Blu-Ray with keen eyes, when the time is right the PS will be Blu-Ray compatible.

The PSP isn't doing as well as Sony expected, the sales figures are there, but Sony does not have the handheld legacy of Nintendo, one thing is for sure - you can guarantee they've got something up their sleeve for the future.

Conspiracy?, hell no!, the truth is out there!.

Sadly your right.
The ps3 is gonna do well, But it doesnt deserve too.
And what pisses me off isnt just sonys decession to hike up the price tag of the ps3,
Its the general idea that people are so adicted to videogames, that they will pay whatever price is asked.

It was only recently in video (http://primusdsl.net/?video-conferencing) game history that torch was passed, from youth to adult. The generation that played these games was growing, and older generations just wrent interested, and younger generations just didnt care.

Sure there are younger and older people that play games,
But the current demographic Is set to our generation,
Young adults, That have jobs (http://webseek.com/?healthcare-jobs) and money,that where hooked young to this video crack.

I know young people today that dont even play video games!! And less then five years ago this was unheard of!!

It seems the market has done its math.
They now know that unlike times past the fans arnt the kids asking the parents for the games,
Its the parents themselves that are the fans.

But Video games, are just like a realy expensive movie (http://sonic.net/?action-movie) habbit,

Sure you want to see it when its new but if you havnt seen it yet its still a great movie even a year or more later.

I think video games are comeing to this.
some day people will realize, This gotta have it NOW attitude, is just out of controll. And people are gonna wake up and buy the older cheaper games, Cause hell the same ammont of time and care went into those, in there day, and there cheaper too! Just like the movies. some of the classics are better then the new ones.

And whats really costing people isnt the video games, Its the gotta be the first on the block to own the newest stuff mentality that we grew up with.,that is still presistant in Us today, seriously what does that proove?

It prooves you have money to burn these days ;)

As for me.
Final fantasy 7 will always be good, And so will chrono trigger and cross, and final fantasy x.
And square and nintendo is who prooved this to me, by re releaseing there older stuff over and over again.
I realized What makes a good game and what makes a good system are completely different.

As for me.
Im gonna go retro for a while I think.

By the way who is that hottie in your sig Dc :p

nexus68
April 17th, 2006, 03:23
To this day I don't understand what the appeal of the Dreamcast was to anyone. I understand that it's got a strong cult following, but do you diehard fans actually think that the Dreamcast stood any kind of a chance? I mean, I'm a diehard PC Engine fan, but I'm not about to say that it ever stood a chance at real success overseas. It was marketed poorly, there was a very limited selection of games available, the games that were available failed to resonate with most people, and there was virtually no effort to create games that were relevant to the overseas market. For me, it was a great choice, but I understand that for most people it just wasn't. That's the way it was with the Dreamcast. True story: a guy I used to work with always used to go on and on about the system, trying to get me hyped up about it. One day he actually brought in a brand new system and offered it to me for free. I felt kind of bad, but I declined because I literally, honestly had absolutely no use for it. There were no games for it that I wanted (the only ones that looked interesting were Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio, but I doubted that either would offer any real game play), and it didn't offer me any useful functionality.

If you love Shoot Them Up, Dreamcast is always the best console and not dead. The new and exclusif portage "Play Under Defeat" is a killer game, technically superior to the ps2 shoot.

tengen
April 17th, 2006, 09:00
the secret to sony's success has always been with their diverse software library.

xbox is the hardcore system with fps/pc conversions. the action packed console

nintendo is mainly about promoting it's elite franchises (mario,zelda,pokemon,etc) with a minimum focus on original content (indeed, almost every game that was <b>not</b> first party could be had with all 3 consoles).

sony has a solid ground in every genre; fps,rpg,racing,sports,platformer,etc. they have something for everybody.

so, if you're like most people who aren't terribly interested in another nintendo sequel, then the ps3
wil be your best bet. just like the other 2 were. :)

nomi
April 17th, 2006, 13:20
I think PSP and Ps3 are going to win! i own a xbox ps2 and played the gamecube lots of timeS and ps2 was the best! ps3 is a much better console and will easily win. i live in pakistan(beleive it or not) and over here mostly noone even wants to buy the xbox 360 unless they have a ps3! sony ROx!

RedKing14CA
April 17th, 2006, 16:32
PSP PWNS DS just because of the MP3 and Video Capabilities it has that the DS doesnt... even with firmware updated to 2.6, PSP PWNS!!!!

PS3 seams to be the best system for graphics right now (better than XBox 360) and the newest baddest(coolest) games!!! Revolution seams ok for some old school gaming....

grin.ch
April 17th, 2006, 16:42
I dunno... as much as I love Playstation, I think it might be NDS. Simply b/c it's so simple and the Japanese appear to love the NDS thus far. It's a close battle, but the Japanese also love those cartoony games, which Nintendo seems to focus on.

GaMeR_2000
April 17th, 2006, 20:53
DS and Revolution by far!!!!
I dont know what you guys are thinking saying the PSP is better! Outselling?! The DS has broken the Game Boy Advance's record for handheld sells. The DS is the best handheld in history w/Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters. The PSP has all of those extra features you may say but DS has Opera browser and a TV Tuner coming out. Lets not forget the Lite coming out. DS rules!!!!

Now onto the Revolution. The wand is a gimmick you Sony & Microsof fan boys may say. Lets just recall onto other controllers that Nintendo made inovations and are now standard today-I believe the D-Pad on SNES, shoulder buttons on SNES, analog stick & Dual Shock on N64. Also one successful one that's not standard is the touch screen on the DS making FPS's and RTS's good on a handheld. The same thing will happen w/ the Rev. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are just pumping up the graphics but the NRV is actually innovating for better gameplay. Red Steel on the Rev will be better than Halo on the 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatsorrow
April 17th, 2006, 22:03
the secret to sony's success has always been with their diverse software library.

xbox is the hardcore system with fps/pc conversions. the action packed console

nintendo is mainly about promoting it's elite franchises (mario,zelda,pokemon,etc) with a minimum focus on original content (indeed, almost every game that was <b>not</b> first party could be had with all 3 consoles).

sony has a solid ground in every genre; fps,rpg,racing,sports,platformer,etc. they have something for everybody.

so, if you're like most people who aren't terribly interested in another nintendo sequel, then the ps3
wil be your best bet. just like the other 2 were. :)

Yes Nintendo has messed up in the pass by mainly focusing on 1st partys, but with the revoultion nintendo is doing things different. Some awesome original ideas are still out there....yes we all know nintendo is going to milk their franchises.......but they are also going to have stuff for the casual gamer or the people that don't play games at all.... Nintendo isn't targeting gamers this time around...they have us. They want the people that don't normally play games....you can see that with Brain Age and Nintendogs......Brain age got nintendo a bigger following with older people, and nintendogs taught little girls games can be fun for them too.

Oh and if you think Ps3 is gonna be all about the diverse software.....I bet they won't have a Bob Ross Painting game like revolution will =)

Guess we will see who has the more diverse library of games???

seanxxp
April 18th, 2006, 19:57
as much as i would love to think otherwise, nintendo i believe will be the loser in the next gen war. the sheer marketability of the xbox 360 and ps3 will leave nintendo in the dust. sony and microsoft have the capital to produce hefty advertising campaigns that nintendo will never come close to outdoing. also its worth bearing in mind that although seasoned gamers who appreciate ingenuity will enjoy the revolutions unique control system, but the general public will most likely be wowed by graphical content. sad but true

Darksaviour69
April 18th, 2006, 20:15
Handheld War:

well there are only 2 in it, and the DS is just storming ahead in japan. the psp is not doing too bad in japan, selling the same as the ps2 week on week sales, and the ps2 is a 7 year old console there..

things are much more closer in the west, but the heavy hitter brain age, could shake things up in the west, if the market takes to it. but for now i think it will stay neck to neck in the west.

Overall winner : DS but the PSP will have done a very good job

Console War:

The PS3 has to be the fav, but there are some other factors to think about. in the last gen MS was the new comer and had to pay catch-up. a real price war was not on the cards for MS because the cost per unit for the Xbox was more than the ps2.

but this time around the 360 will be the cheaper to make, leaving MS with the option to continuously under cut the price of the ps3, a powerfull weapon to have.

With the DS being a huge succes in japan, and the Rev completely different design, like the DS it most likely be a success in japan (even more so, with the 360s failure in japan).

over all i see the Rev and ps3 fighting it out in japan, and the 360 and ps3 fighting it out in the west, but i think that overall the ps3 will be the biggest seller but both nintendo and MS will have closed the gap ( currently 5-1, 5 PS2s to every 1 xbox and 1 gamecube)

Overall winner: The Consumer