PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble With Girls' Games

wraggster
July 16th, 2009, 23:02
If anyone is worried about what Grand Theft Auto games might do to boys, then, my former colleague Tracey John writes for Wired, you might want to worry how a different set of games influences girls.

Tracey has pulled descriptions for 11 upcoming DS games aimed at girls. These are games about make-up, boyfriends or learning to become a detective. Skeptical about the values these games might instill, Tracey extrapolated the implied lessons in their gameplay.

For example:

Princess in Love
(THQ, Sept. 14)
What it's about: Customize Princess Isabella with clothing and accessories. As the queen-in-training, players must mind their manners and plan gala balls while searching for Prince Charming, who can be wooed by learning the right dance moves.
What it teaches girls: No, really, you need a man. Being a princess isn't just about wearing pretty dresses and waiting for your knight in shining armor all day: You've got to work. If you want Mr. Right, it's up to you, not him, to make the first impression. So get dancin.'
Tracey's not being completely serious with all of her write-ups, but she sharply observes the patterns: games that value an obsession with looks, a dependency on finding boyfriends or just an awareness that, hey, you're a girl. You'll always be different. That's not all negative. But the themes are strong and worth examining.

http://kotaku.com/5315120/the-trouble-with-girls-games

VampDude
July 17th, 2009, 13:28
Girls love their DS titles, which brings my point exactly of the DS being girly.

Especially with 90% of all the games aimed towards a female audience are released on the DS.

mike_jmg
July 18th, 2009, 08:38
yup, agreed

Shrygue
July 18th, 2009, 11:19
True, howeber that still doesn't stop me from owning all the Nintendo DS consoles though.

VampDude
July 18th, 2009, 15:14
True, however that still doesn't stop me from owning all the Nintendo DS consoles though.

It doesn't, because there is a large catalogue of games for both male and female. Though all the games aimed at girls is released on the DS, which is where it appeals to them.