PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: Blu-ray threw Sony off strategy

wraggster
July 17th, 2009, 14:51
Aaron Greenberg says distraction of HD discs forced Sony to forget about core audience importance
Xbox 360 group product manager Aaron Greenberg has stated that Sony’s insistence on selling PS3 on its credentials as a Blu-ray player as much as a games console has knocked the firm off track, allowing Xbox 360 to maintain its momentum.
“We started in the inner circle, and we'll continue to deliver those core experiences – going after them first was important,” he told Gamasutra.

“I think for Sony, what in many ways kind of threw them off that strategy was what happened with the PS2 and the DVD player phenomenon. They kind of expected that to happen with the PS3 and the Blu-ray.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35071/Microsoft-Blu-ray-threw-Sony-off-strategy

rmedtx
July 17th, 2009, 23:48
I don't even know how a next-gen console uses DVDs. The 360 should have had HD-DVD as storage media. DVDs are pretty much obsolete. A good next-gen game cannot fit in one DVD.

Darksaviour69
July 18th, 2009, 00:20
DVDs are pretty much obsolete. A good next-gen game cannot fit in one DVD.

lol, oh come on, your saying the 360 hasn't got any good next-gen games? sure no ps3 game has really filled a blu-ray disc. (filling a disc with dummy files and uncompressing data does not count)

Shadowblind
July 18th, 2009, 00:58
I don't even know how a next-gen console uses DVDs. The 360 should have had HD-DVD as storage media. DVDs are pretty much obsolete. A good next-gen game cannot fit in one DVD.

I sincerely hope your speaking of next gen as in the NEXT GENERATION after this one.
Dark, according to kojima MGS4 did in fact fill up the Blu-ray disc, leading to them using a DL BD for the game

Darksaviour69
July 18th, 2009, 03:25
MGS4 would be the exception that proves the rule (does that make sense? ) and there was a debate over did it really fill the disc. Still does that mean MGS4 is the only real Next gen game?