PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #7)

wraggster
April 17th, 2006, 17:44
To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 7 (yeah i asked 2 question 5s :p)

Which Do you Prefer Emulators or Homebrew (Games, Demos or Apps) ?

I must say i like both Emulators and Homebrew but if i was going to pick one out it would be Emulators, the ability to play games i used to play years ago on the real systems is such a great thing.

So the Question today is Which Do you Prefer Emulators or Homebrew?

Voltron
April 17th, 2006, 17:48
I would have to say at this point Emulators. Although with Apps like PSPRadio, UMDEmulator, MPHGameLoader, and many many more, the scale is starting to lean towards Apps.

sroon
April 17th, 2006, 18:05
I say Emulators, because emulators are why I got my first psp so I could play all of my favorite classics on to go.
PSmonkey's emulator is one thet i am really looking forward to!
All hail the magic monkey!!!

joshk525
April 17th, 2006, 18:20
I would have to say emulators are the best because they give you an endless library of games

nyrtrublue
April 17th, 2006, 19:13
emulators

and wouldnt umdemulator count as an emulator?

altometer
April 17th, 2006, 19:19
both! i use ds2key to play emulators using my ds as a wireless controller

beastie
April 17th, 2006, 19:27
Is there going to be an UPDATE for the PSP UAE (AMIGA ) emulator.

Hawq
April 17th, 2006, 19:29
Which Do you Prefer Emulators or Homebrew (Games, Demos or Apps) ?

Emulators I think for allowing me to regain my lost youthfull years, then lose the time again making it doubly worse in the long run, so many classics to relive so little time to do it in. Bloody hell that was short for me wasnt it?.

Jonesyxxiv
April 17th, 2006, 19:41
Probably emulators but there is some awesome homebrew. I cant wait for Psmonkeys N64 emulator.

Eric
April 17th, 2006, 19:45
Well i'm going to have to say Emu..... Homebrew games. Cause i like playing something new on my Dreamcast or anyother system or ported games. Ported games are great cause well some games arent compatible with WinXP which i'm using. So seeing games like Doom or Quake which probably can be played on my WinXp are amazing to see on my Dreamcast.

Another reason why its amazing to see ported games is that i can take my Dreamcast to my friends or cousins house i aint going to take my big computer to play pc games at there house. Games from scratch are nice to see cause its like buying that new game instead its free well except the ones that are sold commercially.

Anyways examples of that would be that Burger Time clone,Feet Of Fury and some Smash TV clone that was done using Mega Man characters. Those were truly games that made me love homebrew a whole lot.

I aint going to say i hate emulation as hawk said its truly amazing to bring back the past playing them on your newer systems cause if your system thats being emulated is dead then you can play the games you own can be played on the system its being emulated. But in that case i basically own all the systems that are emulated and use those instead i did lots of emulation for years and didnt find them being all as perftect as the actual thing.

Homebrew all the way baby

Eric

grin.ch
April 17th, 2006, 19:57
I would have to say emus. Simply b/c w/ emus, the games are endless and were originally released as official software. I have been enjoying the homebrew scene for almost a year, but I have to say homebrew is just getting old. I think it kinda stinks everytime you want to play a homebrew you have to start from the beginning b/c most homebrew games don't support a save feature. You try playing Terra Incognita (an RPG for PSP) and not beating it first go around... you have to start ALL OVER again. To start the same game over and over and over makes the game lose its replay value very quickly. So emus are where it's at. If authors of homebrew can make games which are more in-depth and create save options, then homebrew would probably be better, but for now emus. So I would have to say emus. :p In the way of apps, OMG to FA++!! And other apps. I have a v1.50 PSP but it's more like a PC. I have the Fired up web browser, I have notepadv0.3. So I have the web and basically microsoft word and everything. Apps are awesome, games are tight, but I can't stand demos. No matter which system. Simply b/c it's a tease and you can get into very easily, but then it's over. kinda like homebrew games. (I do, however, remember playing the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 demo all summer once!)

felonyr301
April 17th, 2006, 20:12
easy emulators and that was the reason i forked over 250 bucks to buy the psp the homebrew is a bonus a lovely bonus i might add lol

StealthCP
April 17th, 2006, 20:16
Emulators. Equals unlimited games, and yes, with Monkey on the N64 boat, there is no reason why emulators aren't better. Ports are good too, obviously run better than emulators. There's a question I must ask though. Wragg, the way emulators recompile or interpret programs for other devices onto the one in use, to save processor usage (I'm thinking of Brunni's GBA emu), why not have all the roms etc already recompiled? It would be so much faster for Monkeys emu to run already compiled games. He could be working on a program that recompiles n64 code to psp code, and using the recompiled roms on his emulator, or hence, now would be a runner.

shenske37
April 17th, 2006, 20:34
i go EMULATORS all the way. i love the all of my home consoles very much, but i have the opportunity to play those systems on the go, and anywhere. i don't use that many homebrew games, but there are a few. Emulators are also a good way those rare games that you can't find anywhere.

John Vattic
April 17th, 2006, 21:45
when i bought the psp i never even thought there would be emulators. now i can't play anything else. snes hell yeah!

RCON
April 17th, 2006, 22:30
I think that emulators will always win when it comes to games. With so many games available for emulators all done by professional game companies it just can't be beat for games.

On the other hand, homebrew has applications that put new functionality into a system that may not exist yet that people want.

gavind
April 17th, 2006, 22:59
emulators.... because the games u play have already been "tried and tested" if u get what i mean.

SSaxdude
April 17th, 2006, 23:55
Emulators because one emu can let you play 500+ games. Meaning, the PSP can play more than 25,000 games. Emulation brings games back from the dead.

bacteria
April 18th, 2006, 08:47
Definately emulators. You then have access to hundreds of games on a platform. The vast majority of homebrew offerings are not up to the standard of old commercial titles (sorry).

b8a
April 18th, 2006, 12:39
I love the idea of homebrew games, and homebrew apps are what keep the PSP alive, interesting, and even semi-relevant, so on that level, it's homebrew. However, homebrew apps usually have very specific, limited functionality, and homebrew games, as many other people have stated, usually just aren't up to par. Which isn't attacking the homebrew games. Unless you're using a pre-made engine, it takes a lot of work and testing to iron out even simple concepts, and I know from my own personal experience, that by the end of the testing phase, no matter how great the original idea, the project can become so tedious that you don't really have the interest in continuing it anymore. It would be a different story if I could make even $30k a year from working on personal games, that'd be plenty of incentive to see a project through to the end. But, as long as the motivation remains personal and not financial, I can't blame homebrew game developers for not properly tying projects up.

So, as far as what's more entertaining, practical, and useful on an everyday level, you just can't beat emulators.

acn010
April 18th, 2006, 19:19
EMULATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my classical games on a portable device on the go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PSP)
for home?, my computer!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!