PDA

View Full Version : NY State proposing ban on gaming while driving

wraggster
July 18th, 2009, 21:46
New York doesn't want you distracted while steering that 2,500 lb. hunk of metal plastic, according to a recently passed bill brought to our attention by Buffalo Business First, banning all kinds of behind-the-wheel diversions. If you often enjoy a quick round of Retro Game Challenge or Patapon while at a stop light, know the cops would be able to confiscate your handheld and totally erase your game saves. Okay, we made that up. Offenders would actually get a $150 fine.

The new law (much like Hawaii's) doesn't just apply to games and, should it pass, will make a number of activities on your phone (text, surf the web, hold it up and look at it) illegal to do while driving. Sure, it has everyone's safety in mind, but we really think the government is crazy if it expects us to pull over and park every time we try to level up our Pidgey.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/17/ny-state-proposing-ban-on-gaming-while-driving/

VampDude
July 18th, 2009, 22:29
Who in the right mind would play a game whilst driving?

That to me is dumb, because even at a stop light or a junction you need to pay attention to the surroundings and what is going on around your vehicle.

Xtreme2damax
July 20th, 2009, 04:59
Quite often my parents were almost hit due to some irresponsible teenager or young adult texting and/or talking on a cell phone.

I support this because of that reason, your focus should be solely on the road and environment around you so you can react quickly when the situation calls for it.

If you want to jabber on the cell phone, find somewhere to pull over or use a hands free device. Texting is highly inappropriate while driving and can even be more distracting than simply talking on a cell phone.