PDA

View Full Version : 3 new ports by Ron

Darksaviour69
April 18th, 2006, 01:15
From DCiberia.net (http://www.dciberia.net)

DefenderguinDC 0.1Alpha:
A port of the linux game Defenguins, still has a few bugs but playable.

Download (http://www.elrincondenahuz.com.ar/dciberia/descargas/defenderdc.zip)

LA PRESA DC (Prey DC):
A port of the linux game Barrage , you need the need a mouse to play it.

Download (http://www.elrincondenahuz.com.ar/dciberia/descargas/lapresadc.zip)

Ball O´Tron:
A port of the game Convey, you need a keyboard and mouse to play.

Download (http://www.elrincondenahuz.com.ar/dciberia/descargas/ballotronconveydc.zip)

DCDayDreamer
April 18th, 2006, 17:34
Haven't all these been ported before?, Storm Studios ported DefenguinDC (not sure if it was Will Samms), Will ported Barrage with mouse support, qusar did another Barrage port with controller support I think (I couldn't get it to work when I tested it though), I'm sure Convey was also ported by someone.

Darksaviour69
April 18th, 2006, 17:53
yeah i think some where ported too. i know Will ported DefenguinDC, Barrage and Convey ring bells... i have a feeling that reaper ported Convey.

i have no idea if Rons ports are better or not... there are so many ports, we really need a database of some kind.....coming soon ;)

Eric
April 18th, 2006, 23:59
Well i played Rons version of this game and its fantastic. His version displays a menu screen if i can remember i dont think the older version contained that. Also his version uses the Joystick which again i think the older version contained only D-Pad. So this is pure arcade and we all have to note to ourselves when games are reported to the Dreamcast there could be different features and alot less bugs. So be proud hey this guy and a small amount of others are trying to keep the DC Scene alive. Anyways Ron good work bud keep them comin in pal.

Eric :)

quzar
April 19th, 2006, 03:34
I have discussed my port of convey in #dcemu. I only havn't released it because I don't have my dev machine up, but it works with just controller. Reaper did a port of it years ago that was perfect but required mouse+keyboard(or maybe just keyboard). Same with my port of barrage which I did a private release of (here and elsewhere methinks) but didn't enter it into dreamon due to ...something, i think author protest.

ron
April 19th, 2006, 07:50
I believe that the commentaries are a triviality. It's really stupid to comment if port does this or that. Simply has behaved because the games I liked were opensource. I don't put a gun in the head to anybody so that it unloads them nor it commits to anybody nothing. IF previously already they were ported , believe me , many other games will come, this is just the beginning. On the other hand I believe that while the time is lost discussing on if port is better or worse the time better were taken advantage of if , were dedicated to make things for dreamcast and it does not stop to know if port is awesome or just a waste of time.

anyway, I dont mind really, I just made it for fun and keep the scene alive, don't you think is enough reason to ?

Christuserloeser
April 29th, 2006, 20:04
I love Will Sams port of Defendguin, can't wait to play your version, Ron! It's a great game :)

I didn't know there were other versions of the other two games but I can't wait to give them a try.

Thanks for your work, Ron :)

---

Quzar, somehow there must be some kind of a curse. Else I can't explain why 75% of what you are/were working on gets picked up by others too...
However, if/once you are happy with your work why not releasing your ports/versions too ? I mean it's all for the fun and I am sure that each version will have it's upsides and downsides. That brings me to the idea that working on something together wouldn't be wrong in case two people are working on the same project/port - though I think that in case of you & Ron it probably would not work :-/

quzar
April 29th, 2006, 22:26
Well, lets see it could be because three months ago I had a horrible computer crash and just now was able to rebuild the machine only to find that i've lost all my code. I explained that to a point in my post, that if I had my devbox running convey would have already been released.

Also, christus, I don't appriciate the attack on me. It has no place on these forums, and I had said nothing derragatory or insulting in my prior post at all. I think I was perfectly courteous considering the last time ron came anywhere near the english scene he left ranting and raving about how horrible metafox and I are on DCiberia.

Eric
April 30th, 2006, 02:03
Okay come on guys get along here. These sources have licenses and if you can release them thats good. It doesnt matter if you were going to release it or not sorry man dont mean to get all offensive. If you want to release its still up to you to do so. It aint going to hurt ron at all. It just looksl ike your getting all offensive if someone releases something your going to release. All i can say to that is they got to it before you did and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Heres a solution though theres millions of other games that can be ported and with your NeoGeo CD emu and Neo4All there is things different from each other. It makes it pretty interesting to the scene to see everyones work cause then we can see what they can do. Its quite obviouse the scene dont mind how many times the same game gets ported cause there has to be about 3 different Doom ports available.

Lets just get along here its cause of these drama pull outs people get angry with eachother. I wouldnt say im perfect either as people can see but lets just try and see what people can do to benefit the scene. This is whats going to kill the DC homebrew scene. Anyways thats it for now lets make some games peeps.

Eric :)

Christuserloeser
May 1st, 2006, 03:46
Also, christus, I don't appriciate the attack on me. It has no place on these forums, and I had said nothing derragatory or insulting in my prior post at all.

Hey, you got me wrong! I meant everything as I wrote. I completly forgot about your computer crash !