PDA

View Full Version : Apple may sue Microsoft over TV ads

wraggster
July 20th, 2009, 17:21
Feathers reportedly ruffled with TV ads depicting Macs as expensive alternatives
Apple may be embarking on legal action against longstanding rival Microsoft over a set of TV ads which position Macs as noticeably more expensive than assembled PCs.
Last week, Microsoft CEO Kevin Turner claimed that he had received a phone call from Apple’s legal department demanding that a selection of adverts get pulled from TV broadcasts.
The adverts, shown below, depict people going through various stores looking for a laptop to buy. Each advert shows an actor attempt to buy a macbook, though not having the money to afford it. 

“We got a call from the Apple legal department saying, ‘hey’ - this is a true story - saying 'hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices,’” said 

Turner.
He added that "it was the greatest single phone call in the history that I've ever taken in business,” perhaps due to Apple’s direct ‘Get A Mac’ ads which have hitherto seen the California-based firm dominate the buzz surrounding both companies.

“I did cartwheels down the hallway,” he added.

“At first I said, 'Is this a joke? Who are you?' Not understanding what an opportunity. And so we're just going to keep running them and running them and running them."
Microsoft has since confirmed that it was contacted by Apple. Apple has continually declined to comment.
Marketing news site AdAge has since quoted attorney Michael McSunas as concluding that Apple "would have a leg to stand on" if it pursued legal action. 

"If, indeed, you now can buy a MacBook for under $1,000, then [Microsoft’s ad campaign] would be inaccurate and misleading."
There has been no confirmed legal suit brought forward by Apple.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/31997/Apple-may-sue-Microsoft-over-TV-ads

beetroot bertie
July 20th, 2009, 17:49
I think Apple need to chill.

They've been running ads for years now depicting PC's as stuffy, anal, grey boring machines to great effect.

It's like they've lost their sense of homour. By responding like this they're just making themselves look like Microsoft - I bet this info has been leaked out by some MS publicity team anyway.

And the truth is they're still over-priced comparably speaking despite any reductions that have been made over the years (they're so stingy with memory). I've been a mac user for about 14 years now and intend to continue to be so as I like their machines and genuinely find them less bothersome to use. I'd still rather pay less though. I could do with replacing my 7 yr old iMac with a better machine but the cost has been putting me off for about 2 years now.

Eviltaco64
July 20th, 2009, 18:15
They're really thinking of taking legal action? As beetroot_bertie said, they've been running those Mac vs. PC ads for years now and they depict PCs as slow, buggy, and gray.

I guess Apple can dish it out but can't be served back a cold platter of TRUTH.