PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Public Interview (Question #8) Which Console was the Biggest Let Down ?

wraggster
April 18th, 2006, 21:06
To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 8

Which Console was the Biggest LetDown (disapointment) ?

Of all the Consoles i have ever brought the biggest letdown for me was the Panasonic 3D0, it was billed as the next big thing and yes it was a great system and boasts probably the best version of Need for Speed on any Console. But like most consoles that fail it had no support from software houses eve though it had some major names behind it.

So What was the Console that was the Biggest Disapointment to you and Why ?

chaos-is-me
April 18th, 2006, 21:28
For me the PSP was abit of a letdown. Not half as good as it was hyped up to be and the only reason I still have mine is because of the brilliant homebrew scene.

grin.ch
April 18th, 2006, 21:54
The Dreamcast! I didn't know about homebrew back when I had mine in like 2001, and the game selection was garbage. There were like 10 games. But thinking about it now, I think that was because of the homebrew scene. But it still sucked not knowing about homebrew and only having 10 or so games to choose from...

faceless
April 18th, 2006, 22:05
dreamcast, because it just seemed to be taking off then sega announced it was dead...

Accordion
April 18th, 2006, 22:28
unfortunatly it has to be the PSP

sony seems absolutely intent on crushing what makes the psp so great (in case your stupid, the answer is homebrew) all because of the $£*%ing pirates

because of the pirates the UMD will fail and so will commercial success of the PSP

%@$£*&£%$$£$%£$£ pirates i wish you all dead

joesnose
April 18th, 2006, 22:36
GBA, dont know if your including handhelds, what a pile of pants! Also the DS, although not realy a let down as i never bought one, because the games on my n-gage looked better!

kyus
April 18th, 2006, 22:42
you are all full of such shit.

joesnose... buy a ****ing ds. It's games make the psp's lineup look pathetic in comparison, and I can't help but laugh that you consider the n-gage to look better. The n-gage was the worst handheld ever released but the psp itself is no letdown... i never expected such an amazing homebrew lineup... and the games themselves are great. tales of eternia... daxter... medievil legends... ALL BRILLIANT.

The biggest console letdown for me ever has to be the microsoft xbox. I bought one when rare announced development for it... but out of the 70 or so xbox titles we have upstairs... I barely play any of them. It's the most overrated, huge... disc-errorific piece of garbage ever released... and the controllers are so pathetic i use a ps2 controller in mine.

under_0ath777
April 18th, 2006, 23:21
psp before i knew about the homebrew scene other than that it's the xbox

lumo
April 18th, 2006, 23:48
i'd say cube as it could have been so much better, but due to falling popularity it never got the attention it deserved.

also just to say n-gage is one of the best handhelds i have. cheap, got some great games with pretty good gfx and emus, mp3 player and movie player for small things like trailers or futurama. ive never seen whats wrong with it apart from bad publicity

Hungry Horace
April 18th, 2006, 23:50
the Commodore Amiga CD32

wtf is that??! i hear you all cry! well google it!!

being an Amiga it had great potential, the addition of a keyboard and a diskdrive (even a harddrive - which was way ahead of its time) was brilliant, but was easily surpassed by its "computer" brother the Amiga 1200.

if it been given a 3d chip, and 16-bit sound (other than what was played direct from the CD) this *could* have been to console to dominate all others.

the games that it had were fantastic, but it gets my vote because it could have been so much more... i only mention it because i care about it, all the other consoles apart from those from Sony and the Gameboy have all pretty much sucked anyway, so they couldnt really disapoint me.

gavind
April 19th, 2006, 00:26
the dreamcast was the biggest let down, it had all the hype when it came out and was supposed to be the next big thing and it just failed.

for those people saying the psp was a big let down, how sad are you, its a games console that has perfect graphics, the ability to play mp3's, view images and play movies. And your trying to say that Sony are wrecking it well no I dont think they are, there just trying to stop people like you downloading your ISO's and playing the latest and best games for free, and if Nintendo and Sega and everyone would let them legally put the emulators on the system wouldnt they have already done. Homebrew and Emulators are great but how the f*ck can you say that these are the best things about the PSP, whatever system is released you will always pick faults and call it sh*t, heres a challenge....you go make the perfect system and along with it all the emulators and games, see how far you get.

Some people are just never happy

getting back on track though, dreamcast for me was the biggest flop but like all systems it was great but just didnt live up to its hype.

acn010
April 19th, 2006, 00:26
mine was the Sega Saturn:
reason was that the graphics at that time was kinda good and revolutionary, poor attention on public, also expensive, but for me, it was good until that system had a memory erased caused by the frikin battery life that was inside the system, i was crying so much cause i saved most of the games there were good,(Sonic,Sonic 3D blast, Last Bronx, Nights)
:( bad memory.
later, i killed it by playing super nintendo.
XD

acn010
April 19th, 2006, 00:36
oh yeah,
people that says that the PSP is a let down, you suck, why?
how can the psp be sucky? look at this site! what the hell is this site for? eh?!?!
games are good and the system has very good functions to be an excellent portable device, not such for games, also music, photo,videos, INTERNET!
more and more people are buying this consoles.
thanks to this site and others, even more people are buying.
not even that, SONY is trying to make even more functions to the sytems, like watching tv on the psp , connecting the psp to the ps3 wireless, etc. even now, such games like DAXTER has function for the PS2 game JAK X.
so why is it sucky now eh?

Darksaviour69
April 19th, 2006, 00:59
look guys, let people post what console they find the most disapointing, and why.

-=please don't not attack them for saying so, they have a right to their opinion=-
No Flaming

personally i found the PS2 to be the most dissapointing, way over hyped (sony said it would have toy story graphics), and everyone said that it was so much more powerfull than the dreamcast, but it now clear that the ps2 did not have that much of any edge over the dreamcast, in power terms.

Vegetable
April 19th, 2006, 01:04
This thread was doomed from the beginning.

gavind
April 19th, 2006, 01:41
no i wont because there not real reasons its just a way to call things they dont like with no valid points to back it up, so there :p

look guys, let people post what console they find the most disapointing, and why.

-=please don't not attack them for saying so, they have a right to their opinion=-
No Flaming

personally i found the PS2 to be the most dissapointing, way over hyped (sony said it would have toy story graphics), and everyone said that it was so much more powerfull than the dreamcast, but it now clear that the ps2 did not have that much of any edge over the dreamcast, in power terms.

SSaxdude
April 19th, 2006, 02:02
How was the Dreamcast a let down? Sure, it didn't do well, but it has some of the best games ever (Jet Grind Radio, Soul Caliber, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, the list goes on.) I agree with Darksaviour69 in saying the PS2 was overhyped; so will the PS3. The Xbox was the second console (first being the DC) that amazed me. When I got an Xbox launch day with Halo, I had so much fun even though the controller was big. The PSP isn't bad because of pirates who are the reason for $ony to "kill homebrew." I will admit, I do have a bunch of PSP and Dreamcast isos, but once you play a PSP game in iso format with no load times, there is no going back to UMDs. Sure, it is stealing from companies (filthy rich corporations that only care about making money.) As long as PSP games are selling many copies, I will never feel bad about downloading/dumping isos. I would way rather have my PSP with all the isos then all the homebrew.
Bottom line: PS2 was overhyped, PSP was overhyped, and the PS3 with its "target video" is overhyped.

geise69
April 19th, 2006, 02:28
For me it was the 32X. It was doomed before it was even released. Why release a system that's not really a true 32 bit system only months before the Saturn and PSX came out. I got it because of Virtua Fighter. It's actually better than the Saturn version. Chaotix and Tempo were good but that was about it. A close second would have to be a tie between the Jag and the Phillips CDI. The Jag did have Tempest 2000 coded by Yak of Llamatron fame and Rayman but those couldn't save it. The Phillips CDI was just bad. The 32X still takes the crown though for me as the biggest let down.

logicbomb.de
April 19th, 2006, 02:47
The biggest console letdown for me ever has to be the microsoft xbox. I bought one when rare announced development for it... but out of the 70 or so xbox titles we have upstairs... I barely play any of them. It's the most overrated, huge... disc-errorific piece of garbage ever released... and the controllers are so pathetic i use a ps2 controller in mine.

thats a shame you don't like the xbox, and a bigger shame that you didn't mod it and exploit its full potetial (anyone who know, knows)

for me it would have to be the Saturn. NiGHTS had me hooked and Sega promised more games like that but never releally delivered.

shadowprophet
April 19th, 2006, 03:52
Biggest letdown in the history of video games.
:D

geise69
April 19th, 2006, 04:36
Holy Hell! I forgot about the virtual boy. I scratch my 32x comment for the Virtual Boy. I bet if there was a poll on it the Virtual Boy would win!

Drunken
April 19th, 2006, 04:41
gamecube... im just disgusted by how boring the games are :D except mario party... which doesnt keep u occupied unless u got max amount of players or sum1 whos entertaining enough... to keep the ppl who are playing occupied

10shu
April 19th, 2006, 05:22
-jaguar
-3do
-amiga cd32
-amstrad GX4000
-nintendo virtua boy

i dunno wich one to pick :)
i guest the virtua boy was the worst commercial flop of game history...

neoalucard
April 19th, 2006, 06:42
I dunno, virtual boy for those that actually "Owned" the system, would tell you it was ahead of it's Time...
with mediocre support from third parties and public intrest unwilling to give it a try would probably tell you that it wasn't worth it, when in reality, i don't think people were ready for something like the virtual boy...

My Pick would have to be jaguar.... Any console that has a telephone pad on the controller.... and they buttons didn't function in majority of the games... is a bad marketing plan... atari must have got a discount on some old phone mold... for the controller... sad that you can find the old jaguar casings for what the system and electronics was originally housed in is now used for dental hygine... yes thats right, you can find them in your dentist office, converted to some sort of flouride dispenser or something of that nature... Well you know your dead when you have have only 3 worthwile games... Raiden, Rayman... and Alien Vs. Preditor.

acn010
April 19th, 2006, 06:51
virtual boy..........it was a good looking systen when i saw it at toys r us long time ago, and wow, that system really suck ass.
what really happend to it, occasionally vanished?

rbervoets
April 19th, 2006, 08:58
NDS for me because they could have had a memo pad or somesort of Paint

I mean whats the point of having a touch screen

kichigai
April 19th, 2006, 09:11
it's gotta be the PSP.
followed by the DS.

any of you that feel like griping about my judgment just email me ( [email protected]). i will not deal with it here :P but i will be glad to hold a civilized conversation with someone who wishes to talk. maybe there is stuff that i dont know about yet.

first off, i love my DS. it's by my side when i am sleeping, and watching over me when i am with my girlfriend (she has come to accept this). it's always in my pocket. ALWAYS. and the amount of off-the-wall games that are fun is staggering: Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Castlevania, Meteos, and Metroid Prime top the list.
however, and this may be cleared up in the future, the list doesn't extend far past that. oh, there are lots of 'great' games...but none yet that make me happy to be alive, you know?
plus, the touch-screen has an amazing amount of potential. the only disappointment is with the selection, and i hope that it will be cleared up with an assortment of high-quality (no burnout, please) games that span every genra(?).

now...the PSP.
now the PSP has the ability to do things that the DS could never attempt, at least graphically. and the wide-screen is hella-pretty. gorgeous, just like the graphics.
but the umd disks need a slip-cover over the exposed section, just like the other similar sony product, the MiniDisk (called something like that). why couldn't the psp do that? i can forgive the umd disk shape if the vulnerable disk opening is covered.
and the constant firmware updates get tiring. why block your audience from fully enjoying the system they paid several hundred dollars for? im not talking about piracy, either. that always happens and always will.
but to block your users from utilizing your system's latent abilities (many of which are not currently being used effectively) is sheer stupidity. they will do it anyway, so why doesn't Sony just sit back and try to learn something? who knows: you just might learn how to make your product better!

so, in conclusion, both systems could overcome their latent faults that i believe they posess. neither are minor, but they are easily curable.

oh. and the virtual boy was a flop.

that's long. happy reading.

have a nice day.

b8a
April 19th, 2006, 10:51
I could go on and on about the systems that performed poorly (did anybody REALLY have high hopes for the Virtual Boy?), but luckily I haven't bought most of those systems, so I'll restrain my answer to systems I've actually owned.

WonderSwan Color. It's embarrasing to admit, but I actually bought one. Worse than that, I actually chose it over the GBA. In my defense, it WAS only a fraction of the GBA's price and Square was saying that they were remaking the entire FF series on it, while it was well-known that they weren't producing for Nintendo at the time. That last point sold me, I figured that FF alone would be worth it, but unfortunately Square pettered out and dropped their FF ports, and there were very few other WonderSwan games worth considering. Guilty Gear chugged and was unresponsive, making me feel at times that it was one of those old cheesy LCD games. Yep, to date, no other system has let me down the way the WSC did.

On the other side of the coin, the system that surprised me the most was the PlayStation. I really didn't have high expectations for the 3D consoles, but some of the PlayStation's games really prooved that good games were possible in 3D. Just when I thought I knew everything it had to offer, another game would come out that would push things that much further. Never failed to surprise me.

geise69
April 19th, 2006, 12:15
Yeah the WSC was bad and Guilty Gear was even worse. At least it had Ghouls n Ghosts and FF. Those kept me occupied for a while. While it's low on my list it's not the worst for me. It's kinda in the middle with my NeoGeo Pocket.

motz
April 19th, 2006, 12:31
I would say the PSP with Firmware 2.01+ as Sony released the PSP with the ability to play homebrew and then sneakily removed that ability from the customers.

Bluecat
April 19th, 2006, 14:59
thats a shame you don't like the xbox, and a bigger shame that you didn't mod it and exploit its full potetial (anyone who know, knows)

Agreed - it's now the bargain of the century - you can pick up a modded box with a 120gb drive off eBay for around £100 - add a wireless network adapter and you have the most versatile, cheapest media centre money can buy. This also means you can install games to the drive, cancelling out the dodgy loading times to virtually null.

Finally, someone mentioned the Amstrad GX4000 - there was also a console version of the C64 at that time, the name escapes me - it was verging on useless :)

Cast128dreams
April 19th, 2006, 19:26
Guys we are talking here for the Biggest console faillure and not for the most recent......
I would say Panasonic3do........Come on its not Dreamcast,psp or cube.......
Some olders system they sold to dissapointed...........

Darksaviour69
April 19th, 2006, 19:41
its actual the biggest let down for you, not the one that sold the least, it does not even have to be a failure

Apoklepz
April 19th, 2006, 19:44
Although I think the N-Gage & the Virtual Boy would've done the trick, I never really got to own them...but some of My Friends in school did, and boy were they pissed.

To me it was the Sega Saturn.
I bought the Saturn when I heard about a lot of games like Megaman 8, Shenmue, Toshinden Remix and the revamped version of CastleVania SoTN were available for it, and then there was no more games....I beat the games and kept some of them, then sold the system(box and all) a year later to a rarities shop for a little more than $80 bucks. I gotta say though, my dissapointments were never directly aimed at the system, but at it's software production ending so abruptly.

I was about to buy the Neo Geo CD console once too, but it went down before I actually did.

I currently own a PSP(duh), GameCube, PS2 & I still have my good old SNES, and neither of them dissapoint me. I might get a Dreamcast one day... I love X-Box even though I don't own one, my best friend does & it's the only console he owns with a huge library of great games. Online Halo people might know him as IllOmen.

Hawq
April 19th, 2006, 19:55
So What was the Console that was the Biggest Disapointment to you and Why ?
Possibly the 32X even though I loved some of the games on it (such as Star Wars Arcade, Stellar Assault, Virtua Fither, Metal Head) it was hideously timed & doomed from the first moment someone thought of it, I guess this is more a dissapointment with the way Sega handled it though really. With that in mind then it could well be the Atari Jaguar (not 64bit no matter what Atari try to say, do the math! I did & if its 64bit then so's the Saturn) underpowered, marketed with false promises it had no hope of living up to & with a serious lack of good games, many of the best were shovelware ported from the Amiga. I got mine cheap from a car boot sale & still am not sure if it was that wise an investement, maybe if I find a cheap AvP that'll alter but till then its Amiga ports only for it really & as I've had an Amiga for many years the Jag counts as a big letdown.

the Commodore Amiga CD32

wtf is that??! i hear you all cry! well google it!!

being an Amiga it had great potential, the addition of a keyboard and a diskdrive (even a harddrive - which was way ahead of its time) was brilliant, but was easily surpassed by its "computer" brother the Amiga 1200.

if it been given a 3d chip, and 16-bit sound (other than what was played direct from the CD) this *could* have been to console to dominate all others.But then they couldnt have done all that shovelware as easily, Alien Breed 3D woulda looked a damn sight better though.

Finally, someone mentioned the Amstrad GX4000 - there was also a console version of the C64 at that time, the name escapes me - it was verging on useless :)That would be the C64GS I have one & love it, though I never did mod it to add a keyboard I could of done, once you opened it the only differance to a regular C64 board was the cart port was placed differantly. The games were expensive as hell though which was the only bad point really.

MadMonkee
April 20th, 2006, 06:09
DEFINATELY N-GAGE

lol, that has to be the most miserably failed console ever made. I saw one in the mall to test out, and DAMN that was a piece of shit.

MadMonkee
April 20th, 2006, 06:16
PSP sucks only because of Sony, its maker.

ANY console wouldn't be half as great if there was no homebrew.

Only the thought of playing NES, SNES, GB, GB Color, Quake, Duke Nukem, Sega GG, Internet Radio etc. makes this console unbelievable.

Only games I REALLY thought was worth something were;

Bleach, GTA, Wipeout Pure, SFA3 and well, that's pretty much it.

They need to make better games for PSP ^_^

My favorite game genre is 3D First Person shooting. And only thing they got for PSP that's first person is Coded Arms and man did that suck camel balls.

Long live homebrew ;) and damn you Sony for trying to block it.

I am hoping Microsoft's Xbox Portable will kick PSP's ass.

joey52685
April 21st, 2006, 03:56
Has anyone heard of Virtual Boy? I think it caused cancer or something like that, I had one for about a week