PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #9) Is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

wraggster
April 19th, 2006, 20:47
To those who dont know what this is ill let you in to what this is.

This is a rather unique experiment if you like of a public interview of up to 40,000 people who are members of the DCEmu Network. We are all here for the love of homebrew and gaming and so the questions will be based around that subject.

Heres question 9

Is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

This is quite a tough question because emulators play yesterdays best games but if you compare systems like the PSP, DS, Dreamcast etc then you could answer that question.

Homebrew in some ways is much better than commercial, the biggest being that its free, emulators of older systems mean that newcomers and old gamers alike can relive the retro days. Homebrew also has a community that easily beats commercial as we as a massive scene work to bring new software and killer sites and dev libs etc to the homebrew arena.

Homebrew however cant compete some of todays killer releases so for me Commercial just about nudges ahead.

Whats your View is Homebrew Better Than Commercial ?

Decius
April 19th, 2006, 21:10
For me its homebrew.
Emulators make todays commercial releases-tommorows homebrew ones, so really commercial games are no competition to homebrew.

gavind
April 19th, 2006, 21:11
commercial games win, because commercial games have endless capabilities.

homebrew games i feel repeat themselves with different names and different graphics.

John Vattic
April 19th, 2006, 21:27
well after spending 700 bucks on the shitty psp games that are so freaking linear replay value is non-existant, i would definately say that the homebrew is what keeps me from selling my psp. the only game i bought worth playing over is crash tag team racing. well i'l say gta lcs too because it allows the eloader and isn't all that bad really. pretty lame but i'm a descriminating gamer. i'd rather play my gamecube or ps2. i think i'm going to get a ds after all this hype of the psp. at least it has SOME good games, and they are 10-20 bucks less. and the ds lite seems to have fixed certain issues. sorry for ever having doubted you nintendo.

oli_j
April 19th, 2006, 21:28
Commercial games are better for graphics, but there's so much more homebrew, it's all free and you get all the games of the past on psp now, and for the reason Decius said, I think homebrew's better.

RCON
April 19th, 2006, 21:29
I play homebrew emulators and games way more than commercial games but I think commercial games will always be better because they push the technology of the platform to the limits. They have a development team with professional artists, sound engineers and testers. Plus they work 40+ a week on the same project. I'm lucky to dedicate 2 hours per day programming!

For me though I like homebrew, being able to play the old school games I used to love is better than playing the latest and greatest.

Jonesyxxiv
April 19th, 2006, 21:40
Id probably say homebrew because i use homebrew so much more and homebrew has other apps that arnt just games. The only commercial game i have really been playing lately is Mega Man: Powered Up.

motz
April 19th, 2006, 21:58
For me this is a joint decision. Commercial games are normally better than homebrew games (due to the fact that there's a full design gaming working on them) but homebrew brings apps and other wonders to consoles which commercial companies can't bring.

The advantage of homebrew on the other hand is that it is free.

bobnickelson
April 19th, 2006, 22:03
homebrew develop lack the necessary tools to make an outstanding program, but its greatest aspect of homebrew is that the community has an input in the development, such as bugs can be fixed as they are noticed, and suggestions to make a program or game better can be taken into consideration... so if homebrew had those necessary tools, it would completly own commercial, but due to the lack there of, i would have to say commercial is better...

Voltron
April 19th, 2006, 22:59
Homebrew GAMES are not better than commercial GAMES but homebrew APPS and EMULATORS are more enjoyable and exciting than commercial games.

PoorWhiteTrash
April 19th, 2006, 23:08
I have sold all my PSP games. The last one I bought.... Need for speed most wanted.... required me to upgrade to 2.0. so I did. then I played the game, and it sucked. So I downgraded back to 1.5 and sold NFSMW on ebay. Now all I own are a couple of movies on UMD for it.

I am going to say the Homebrew/Emmulator scene is a much richer environment and is superior to the mainstream schlock being sold for $50 a whack.

Apoklepz
April 19th, 2006, 23:13
I have to agree with Voltron on the Homebrew APPS and EMULATORS being better, more enjoyable, exciting, & I must add, more resourceful than commercial APPS and EMULATORS.

Commercial Games VS. Homebrew Games? Tough...
A Commercial game will always excel in amazing the public with the latest graphical engine, effects, playability, etc. But every once in a while a team of Devs will sit down and amaze us equally with a beautiful homebrew game that will leave everybody hooked.

Commercially-wise you have to pay to get your enjoyments worth, sometimes ending up in dissapointment. Homebrewilly-wise(I know, it sounds great!!..doesn't it?) you get the same feel of enjoyment or dissapointment(but please if you don't like it, don't trash it...after all there was human dedication put into making it, so at least respect it) but most of the time it's free!

In Conclusion, Homebrew Games, Applications & Emulators are better than Commercial Games & vice versa. Just my two cents.

felonyr301
April 20th, 2006, 00:05
homebrew is still fun and refreshing at times and also being easy on the wallet so homebrew all the way also considering that nowadays so many commercial games thats not even worth the money like the good ol days now you have only a handful of choices

Emulation_Chief
April 20th, 2006, 00:40
Hello:

This is, indeed, a tough question. The answer, simple. The winner here is homebrew for the following reasons.

1. Freedom. No time constraints; very low or no budget; more creativity. Commercial games spent too much on games that many expect to be good but finally become a dissapointment. Just read those magazine colums.

2. Updating. On PC games, this is the norm. On consoles, Commercial developers has to release a final product. Homebrew is constantly updating their projects in order to give you the best product possible. Commercial games has a chance thanks to Microsoft. The Xbox and X360 has a hard drive that let you download patches and fixes to those commercial releases. Still no match for what homebrew can do.

3. Very cheap or Free. this is the best part of homebrew. Why buy a game that costs $50 or $60 when you can acquire a high quality homebrew commercial release for half the price or less? Even free!

Eric
April 20th, 2006, 01:30
Well we all know that homebrew games cant beat out the competition of commercial gaming. I have seen some pretty good homebrew games for the DC sold commercially like Feet Of Fury and thought that was a great game. But to make a good homebrew you need the knowledge for idea making,graphics,music, and fun factory. All of those bunch up into each other and if you are missing atleast one of those you will have problems making a good game.

Commercial is done by professionals they have been to school or have been gaming since there younger years. I think homebrew could be a lot better if people took a lot of ideas from previous games they have played and i'm not talking about making the same game. You can take somethings from just about any game and throw it in to whatever your game going to make.

Well of course it goes commercial for me. Of course i dont hate homebrew cause i play them when i feel like playing a small game,seeing new ideas and of course testing them out and giving my word out to the authors.

Fav Homebrew:
Burger Time Clone: DC
Feet Of Fury: DC
Smash TV Clone: DC

Commercial:
Need For Speed Hotpursuit 2:PC
Soul Caliber: DC
JetMoto 2:PSone

Well theres more games then that, that i enjoy and was told in an earlier post

Commercial is amazing but dont diss out the coders who are trying to make out making homebrew.

Eric

chrisrulz555
April 20th, 2006, 02:02
The only good commercial game on psp I found is Tales of Eternia, its only available in pal regions for some reason and it can play on 1.5 so yes I think homebrew is better.

MaxSMoke
April 20th, 2006, 02:20
I think the best part of Homebrew are the Apps. They clearly show that the PSP can be so much more then just a game system. I use WiFi Sniffer all of the time to find interference with my wireless network. PSP Radio brings all of the coolness of Shoutcast into the palm of my hand. It's always exciting to see how the PSP will be used next in the hands of creative programmers.

And there are some true Homebrew games that are very well done. They can certainly hold their own against some rather poorly designed PSP games that have reared their ugly head on the system. Better yet, Homebrew games can be updated and made better. What PSP game have you ever seen that features upgradablity? It's not that it's not possible, Wipeout did it, but nobody seems to care enough to bother updating their games these days. I guess it's not economically feasible.

That's one great advantage of a hobbyist game maker, you don't have monitary concerns getting in the way of making a great game. You can do whatever you like, and never have to worry about some VP telling you your ideas are worthless. In terms of creative control and freedom, Homebrew will always rein supreme!

MaxSMoke
April 20th, 2006, 02:26
BTW, speaking of good artwork, if anybody needs any 3D models for a Homebrew PSP game or App, please let me know. Send a message with the title "Homebrew" to my E-mail address at "[email protected]". I get alot of spam in that mailbox, so anything not clearly titled gets sent to the trash bin.

nyrtrublue
April 20th, 2006, 03:49
homebrew no doubt

stick with the classics there is a reason they are still popular

bibipili
April 20th, 2006, 03:52
Maxude you killed it

CoderX
April 20th, 2006, 03:57
Com - Better Graphics, High Price
Emu - More use then games, All old games for free

I Like a good mix of the two.

steve06
April 20th, 2006, 04:23
Well i love my DBZ game the replay factor is great but then i love my old neogeo collecting dust in the attic. So homebrew is great like the emus N64 looks somewhat promising and I have Neogeo emulation and on the otherhand i have Online Headset Socom, DBZ, and hopefully in the future gta so i can upgrade to 2.6 and still have my King of Fighters 94-99 on my PSP. SO id say depending on what u like will determine in ur eyes which is better. I think they are both the same.

Psphreak
April 20th, 2006, 08:12
I made up my mind in getting PSP for homebrew since I had a feeling that the games going to be released weren't going to be so great. Those that ARE good are just ports (Mk1/2/3, SF2, SFA3) imo.

SSaxdude
April 20th, 2006, 18:46
Commercial games usually are ports of a console title. Some games like GTA, Twisted Metal, and Lumines are good non-ports. The price of games for the PSP is really expensive, most are 40-50 dollars. I save money by getting isos instead, but I still did buy some games. Emulation is a sweet secret of the PSP since most people don't know about it. Emulators don't appeal to people who never play those games or people who hate games with bad graphics.

geise69
April 20th, 2006, 20:51
I'd have to say homebrew mainly for emulation. I don't use much apps, it's mainly straight emulation. However most of the games for emulation are commercial games. So it's really the same thing as what's out commercially for the psp...only better. I just like old school so much more. It's all about gameplay and story that makes games fun. Not the most real of real graphics. I do 3D animation for a living and as much as I love it 2D is always going to be better. 2D is so much harder to do than 3D, especially when it comes to sprite animation. If you can do 2D it won't take long for you to jump into 3D. I just love 2D so much more. Games like Earthworm Jim, Rayman 1, Astal, all capcom fighting games, the animation just is amazing. Anyways I'm for emulation way more than commercial.

pantera6
April 20th, 2006, 21:39
If there was no commercial though
in 10 years there wont be any machines to emulate that havnt already been emulated

Junior
April 21st, 2006, 01:49
^ What he said.