PDA

View Full Version : NesterDC SE Progress Report

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
Scherzo has posted a report about the current NesterDC SE status. Here's what he wrote:[br][br]I have some good news. I managed to fix the compatibility for several games last night and this morning (I stayed up until 4:30a). [br][br]There were a couple of bugs in the CPU core that were a side-effect of Takayama Fumihiko's excellent optimization. Both bugs concerned ingeter overflow/underflow not being properly done on the stack pointer and some other intermediate data. The following games now work: [br][br]Rygar (U) [br]3-D Battles of World Runner, The (U) [br]Anticipation (U) [br]Arch Rivals (U) [br][br]Can you believe that the stack pointer overslows in Arch Rivals as part of normal operation? I find that strange but who cares about strange... I'm no 6502 coder. It works and that's all I care about [br][br]Maybe more games work now as a result of these fixes. I'm going through and testing other that I've found on this list: [br][br]http://dckb.dcevo.com/nesterdc_games.htm [br][br]I'll keep you all posted with the progress.

[Modified 07/01/04 11:46:04 by DCEmu_Newsposter]

Christuserloeser
July 2nd, 2004, 13:37
Compatibility really has improved! Scherzo's report:

Here's an updated list of the games fixed thusfar:

100 World Story
Action 52
Adventures of 3D World Runner
Alfred Chicken
Alladin (U)
Anticipation (U)
Arch Rivals
Argos No Senshi (J)
Asmik Kun Land (J)
Back to the Future
Back to the Future II & III
Bible Adventures
High Speed
Marble Madness
WWF Wrestlemania Challenge
NARC
Rygar
Widget
Contra Force
Parodius
Zippy Race (J)
Clash at Demonhead
Captain Planet a.t. Planeteers
Captain Skyhawk
Cliffhanger
Dezaemon
Dirty Harry
Spider-Man Return o.t. Sinister 6
Slalom
Sunday Funday
Tiles of Fate
Great Waldo Search
Fisher Price I can Remember

guymelef
July 3rd, 2004, 01:36
what about support for some of the hacks/language patches for japroms?
some versions of ff2/3 don't work right. i havn't tried the dragon warrior series.

ps I think my idiom is getting better now that I don't drink as much.

Christuserloeser
July 3rd, 2004, 05:54
Hm, my patched / translated ones run perfectly with NesterDC v71

@Scherzo: There's a (finished) Prototype of Final Fantasy 2 (US) released - it's brandnew *:) but didn't work with v71 *:(

Can you check it with your WIP version?

Chris

Edit: @guymelef - nice to hear ..er read that :)

Christuserloeser
July 5th, 2004, 12:36
A little update about the NesterDC SE status by Scherzo:

We'll see. I've been fixing games by debugging NesterDC and NNNesterJ side by side. If a game is also not working correctly in NNNesterJ, then I probably won't fix it in this first pass of bug fixes. [...] It'll require me to look at another emu with even higher compatibility, like Nestopia.

[...]I have come across several games, especially the KOEI games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, that seem to have the same kind of problems but I haven't pin pointed exactly what's causing them. I think if I get one fixed, they will all be fixed. I hope.

On another note, I added the ability to change the button mappings to whatever you desire. You can even bind a seperate button for autofire A and autofire B. Each controller can be configured seperately. Here's the new default mapping:

NES B -> DC X
NES A -> DC A
NES Autofire B -> DC Y
NES Autofire A -> DC B
NES Start -> DC Start
NES Select -> DC R Trigger
NES Coin (for VS games) -> DC L Trigger

This way, instead of toggling autofire, you can have it at your disposal at any moment. Of course, if you don't like the default you can change them and your settings are saved to the VMU. On top of that, you have a choice of rapid fire speed for both A and B. The choices are Slow, Medium, Fast, and Insane.

I'm planning on adding a Slo Mo feature. There will be two flavors of it too. The first type will be controlled by the emulator; just skipping frames on purpose. The second type will be the old skool turbo-fire-on-the-start-button kind, like seen on many controllers from back in the day, such as the NES Advantage.

obelisk
July 6th, 2004, 00:52
sounds awesome... i'd say i can't wait, but i gotta, but then again, good things come to those who do so. Scherzo, good show. keep up da good werk.