PDA

View Full Version : New NetHack release for the PSP NetHackPSP-1.0c.zip

IveGotThePawa
April 20th, 2006, 00:55
Hello Everyone,

I've taken up the task of continuing the Nethack homebrew for the PSP, released a while ago by the honorable VMU. :)

DCEmu.uk will be the first to get the files!

I've been working on this baby for quite a while now and I think its time to do a release.

The game is now playable up to a certain extend. You still cannot enter text required for Wishing, Engraving or naming stuff. Expect this to work in the next update though :D

You can change your name and other character settings by editing the .nethackrc file found in PSP/GAMES/NetHack/. But be careful because some settings may affect the game play and you may find yourself in a configuration I did not test yet and that you don't have any graphic interface to help you.

== NEW Button Configuration ==

-- default buttons
[UP] = North / Menu UP
[DOWN] = South / Menu Down
[LEFT] = West
[RIGHT] = East
[DOWN]+[LEFT] = South-West
[DOWN]+[RIGHT] = South-East
[UP]+[LEFT] = North-West
[UP]+[RIGHT] = North-East
[CIRCLE] = Same as the 'Enter' key (Confirm Menu selection)
[SQUARE] = List previous message
[CROSS] = Same as the 'Space' key (Select Menu item)
[TRIANGLE] = Same as the 'Escape' key (Cancel Menu selection)
[SELECT] = See the Inventory
[START] = Special Context Menu which enables these actions:
'a' = Apply
'b' = Eat
'c' = Kick
'd' = Pickup
'e' = Wear
'f' = Wield
'g' = Put On
'h' = Drop
'i' = Drop All
'j' = Remove
'k' = Take off
'l' = Read
'm' = Pay Bill
'n' = Quaff (drink)
'A' = (Extended Command) Chat
'B' = (Extended Command) Dip
'C' = (Extended Command) Enhance
'D' = (Extended Command) Force
'E' = (Extended Command) Invoke
'F' = (Extended Command) Loot
'G' = (Extended Command) Offer
'H' = (Extended Command) Pray
'I' = (Extended Command) Rub
'J' = (Extended Command) Sit
'K' = (Extended Command) Turn Undead
'L' = (Extended Command) Untrap
'M' = (Extended Command) Wipe

-- alternate button set when TOP LEFT button pressed.

[TOP LEFT]+[UP] = Fast North
[TOP LEFT]+[DOWN] = Fast South
[TOP LEFT]+[LEFT] = Fast West
[TOP LEFT]+[RIGHT] = Fast East
[TOP LEFT]+[DOWN]+[LEFT] = Fast South-West
[TOP LEFT]+[DOWN]+[RIGHT] = Fast South-East
[TOP LEFT]+[UP]+[LEFT] = Fast North-West
[TOP LEFT]+[UP]+[RIGHT] = Fast North-East

[TOP LEFT]+[CROSS] = Open
[TOP LEFT]+[SQUARE] = Search
[TOP LEFT]+[TRIANGLE] = Close
[TOP LEFT]+[CIRCLE] = Pick Up
[TOP LEFT]+[SELECT] = Display useful information
[TOP LEFT]+[START] = Save your game & Quit

-- alternate button set when TOP RIGHT button pressed.

[TOP RIGHT]+[UP] = Go Up the stairs
[TOP RIGHT]+[DOWN] = Go Down the stairs

[TOP RIGHT]+[CROSS] = Throw
[TOP RIGHT]+[SQUARE] = Zap wand
[TOP RIGHT]+[TRIANGLE] = Cast Spell from Spell book
[TOP RIGHT]+[CIRCLE] = Fire ammo placed in the Quiver
[TOP RIGHT]+[SELECT] = Select Quivered Item
[TOP RIGHT]+[START] = Exchange weapon with alternate

-- alternate button set when TOP LEFT and TOP RIGHT button pressed.

[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[CROSS] = Teleport
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[SQUARE] = List Known spells
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[TRIANGLE] = Show what type of thing a visible symbol corresponds to.
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[CIRCLE] = Known discoveries
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[SELECT] = Toggle ASCII / Graphic mode
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[START] = Switch to explorer mode

Still to do :
-------------
- A contextual menu for the 'Inventory' screen
- Display the damage made by the player
- Disable calling the context menu more than once.
- Fix Diagonal movements, they are still difficult to achieve
- Split the contextual menu in two columns
- Keyboard interface for text prompts (Wishing, naming items, etc.)
- Re-enable mouse for scrolling or find a way to display menu that are too long
- Re-enable the top-ten listing when dying or quitting
- Remove the perm_lock feature, as it can cause problems on the PSP when crashing
- Enable scrolling when in ASCII mode

- Any other suggestions?

So as you can see, there was a lot done, but there is still much to do for a fully functional Nethack. But still, with this version, I managed to get to the bottom of the mines and back.

Expect more frequent updates. :rolleyes:

Pawa

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

wraggster
April 20th, 2006, 01:02
thanks for the release :)

Drunken
April 20th, 2006, 02:05
heh sry but wat exactly does this do?

pkmaximum
April 20th, 2006, 02:33
Can we see a screen shot on this game perhaps :)

LampDev
April 20th, 2006, 03:44
Can we see a screen shot on this game perhaps :)
http://www.nethack.org/common/info.html#Basic

pkmaximum
April 20th, 2006, 03:58
I'm sorry I'm not finding a screen shot on this link you just sent me, it could be I'm not searching hard enough. But Umm.... could you send me a direct link to a screen shot perhaps. That always makes things easier. :)

felonyr301
April 20th, 2006, 04:36
there is something called READ whats in the link and imagine it in your head..(somebody doesnt read books here)

felonyr301
April 20th, 2006, 04:37
lol just kidding guy

MastOfDisa
April 20th, 2006, 11:47
That's probably one of the best releases I've ever seen. NetHack ist so awesome, but the previous version was a bit unplayable. Please keep up that great work!

IveGotThePawa
April 20th, 2006, 11:53
screenshot #1 : http://glhack.sourceforge.net/shots/valk-1.png
screenshot #2 : http://home.swipnet.se/~w-73296/Nethack-Aboutpic.jpg

I can get more if you like

Pawa

Cap'n 1time
April 20th, 2006, 14:24
wow. probably the best release of nethack so far. thanks.

IveGotThePawa
April 20th, 2006, 15:05
Thanks guys for your warm welcome to my first release.

For those of you who don't know what NetHack is, there is a Wikkipedia article on it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack

"NetHack is a roguelike [RPG] computer game originally released in 1987. It is an evolution of an earlier game called Hack (1985) which was itself an evolution of Rogue (1980). The name NetHack references the fact that its development has been coordinated through the Internet, though it is not a multiplayer game, nor is it in any way connected with computer-security related usages of the word hacking. The "hack" element refers to a genre of role playing games known as hack and slash for their violent focus.

NetHack is one of the oldest computer games still being actively developed, with new features and bug fixes regularly being added by a loose group of volunteer developers, commonly called the DevTeam.

The player takes the part of a dungeon-delving hero in search of the Amulet of Yendor. The quest spans more than 50 levels, most of which are randomly created. Each level contains monsters, weaponry, magical items, hidden doors and much more.

NetHack is traditionally played using text mode graphics where the dungeon's features, its inhabitants as well as items are represented by single characters. There are also several graphical user interfaces available for the game."

Shaunhoare
April 20th, 2006, 16:07
Could you release a source for us hungry coders [some of which would like to learn from your source]

IveGotThePawa
April 20th, 2006, 17:35
Could you release a source for us hungry coders [some of which would like to learn from your source]

Off course, the latest released sources can be downloaded through SVN at http://virtuamunstaz.de/svn/nethack/.

This is VMU's website. Even tho it doesn't have the latest binaries, the source code is what was used to build it.

Pawa

Psyberjock
April 20th, 2006, 23:04
I think I found a bug. When garfield picks something up and moves it, I can no longer pick it up.

Also, I hit harder with my tourist hands than with my wand wielding tourist hands. That can't be right. Even if I can't use magic, anyone can hit things harder with a stick than without one. Thanks! :D

IveGotThePawa
April 21st, 2006, 02:19
I think I found a bug. When garfield picks something up and moves it, I can no longer pick it up.

Well pets can pick object up (this means by the way, that they are not cursed). Usually tho, they drop it a short time after and you can then pick them up using the [TOP_LEFT]+[CIRCLE]. Unless its a corpse, then it is possible that they eat it before you do.

Also, I hit harder with my tourist hands than with my wand wielding tourist hands. That can't be right. Even if I can't use magic, anyone can hit things harder with a stick than without one. Thanks! :D

Well with a wand, you're not supposed to hit things with it. You are supposed to ZAP them (by pressing the [TOP RIGHT]+[SQUARE] buttons) and then tell the game in which direction to fire the curse. Be carefull tho, if the wand is not identify by something else than its shape or color, because you will not know beforehand what you may cause by zapping it.

Note also that hitting a monster with a weapon or your hand doesn't always do the same amount of damage; Its random. And the maximum damage is calculated according to an awfull lot of things. If you want to get better at this game, I suggest you read the guidebook.txt provided in the .ZIP file. Or download the one attached to this reply.

I hope you will have fun with this game, and don't forget that the main objective is to survive, not to destroy everything you see. :cool:

See ya

Pawa

Genki
April 26th, 2006, 22:17
Still to do :
-------------
- A contextual menu for the 'Inventory' screen
- Display the damage made by the player
- Disable calling the context menu more than once.
- Fix Diagonal movements, they are still difficult to achieve
- Split the contextual menu in two columns
- Re-enable mouse for scrolling or find a way to display menu that are too long
- Re-enable the top-ten listing when dying or quitting
- Remove the perm_lock feature, as it can cause problems on the PSP when crashing
- Enable scrolling when in ASCII mode

- Any other suggestions?

Yep! I have some suggestions!

- Full Keyboard emulation. Change one of the buttons to bring up a keyboard. tHis ould amke it much easier to use wishes, extended commands, and just commands in general.
- Full mouse Emulation. Again, It doesn't have to be all the time. Maybe a key to enable or disable it. It would just make it a little bit easier to scroll or pick objects.
- As for the diagonal movements, Maybe you could use the analog?
- As for displaying the damage the player deals...that wouldn't be very nethack at all. There has never been a build of nethack that does that. So if you do include that, maybe default it to off for us?
- More tile support, Of the other, larger tile sets that are out there.
- User defined controls. Hey, we all like different classes, and some of us don't need the same commands as others.
- A text editor so we can edit our config files and what not. Or some other form of editor.
- Maybe a custom tile set for the psp version. Nethack hasn't seen new tiles in a loooooooong time. It would make it feel new again. But If you're like me, Coding's your thing, not graphic design. :D
- internet high score server and bones servers maybe?
- Maybe a mp3 player built in. It gets pretty quiet when playing nethack for hours on end.
- oh, and maybe a more friendly intro interface once you get keybaord and mouse in? It's fine the way it is, But it could be a little nicer. :D

Other Random ideas
- Slash 'em Support? Maybe after you finish Nethack, you could move slash em over to psp too.

- Vulture's eye, and vulters claw support? I'm not a big fan of them, But I would guess someone is.

Well, In Any case, Amazing work. This is why my psp is staying at 2.6 :D

----------------------Bugs i've seen------------------------
-The long menu bug, but you already know about that.
-The enhance menu bug. you bring up #enhance, but it's impossible to enhance a skill, because you can't select it, even if it is ready to be advanced.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I hope some of that helps!

ddblue
April 27th, 2006, 10:20
I think it's awesome that someone took it upon themself to keep the PSP Nethack port alive. I'm wondering though, can we play it without the graphical interface? Like with the original letters and @ sign's?:D

Genki
April 27th, 2006, 20:27
Yup!
Hold L and R and hit select I bleieve. It will toggle between tiles and ascii interfaces.

grin.ch
April 28th, 2006, 19:05
this game is pretty cool. But, a little in depth. Can you save?

megalodon
April 30th, 2006, 08:09
Thank you very very much! :) Nethack rulz!

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 13:40
I think it's awesome that someone took it upon themself to keep the PSP Nethack port alive. I'm wondering though, can we play it without the graphical interface? Like with the original letters and @ sign's?:D

Like Genki said, you can switch between graphical mode and text mode by pressing :

[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[SELECT] = Toggle ASCII / Graphic mode

But note that there is still a bug there. When you move your player, the prison doesn't seem to be updated (prison is the spaces displayed on the screen that is supposed to surround the player when he is moving).

This is on my #todo list :p

Thanks for playing!

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 13:42
Thank you very very much! :) Nethack rulz!

You are most welcomed!

I mostly did this for myself, because Virtuamunstaz did a very good job porting it to the PSP but it laked playability. I'm not letting this go as long as i'm not fully happy.

Pawa :D

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 13:43
this game is pretty cool. But, a little in depth. Can you save?

Sure you can! Just hold

[TOP LEFT]+[START] = Save your game & Quit.

When you come back, it should automatically load your last saved game.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 14:34
Yep! I have some suggestions!

Now that's the kind of post I was waiting for! I like getting thank you notes, but I love discussion about this game. Now lets get to it.

- Full Keyboard emulation. Change one of the buttons to bring up a keyboard. tHis ould amke it much easier to use wishes, extended commands, and just commands in general.

Yeah its coming pretty good already. I have a working keyboard emulation that comes up automatically whenever you have to type something. I just need to ajust it a bit and make it so you can also type any extended commands you like, even tho most of them are now mapped in the contextual menu.

- Full mouse Emulation. Again, It doesn't have to be all the time. Maybe a key to enable or disable it. It would just make it a little bit easier to scroll or pick objects.

The only problem I have now for the mouse emulation, is to find a button that can be used the the left click. In the mean time, I've added the '_' command which lets you travel wherever you want real fast.

- As for the diagonal movements, Maybe you could use the analog?

Well the analog stick is used for the mouse (when it will be reenabled).

- As for displaying the damage the player deals...that wouldn't be very nethack at all. There has never been a build of nethack that does that. So if you do include that, maybe default it to off for us?

Sure, I'll make it a option with the default as off... but anyway, i'm not even sure it feasable.

- More tile support, Of the other, larger tile sets that are out there.

I think its already in there. I didn't test it myself, but VMU did. You can go check it out at http://virtuamunstaz.de/nh/

- User defined controls. Hey, we all like different classes, and some of us don't need the same commands as others.

Yeah, somebody else asked me that too. I think I'll have to do it.

- A text editor so we can edit our config files and what not. Or some other form of editor.

I'm not sure I understand this... I can reenable the in-game options, but not all of them will be available. I don't think I will work on a text editor / file manager as there is already some pretty good ones out there.

- Maybe a custom tile set for the psp version. Nethack hasn't seen new tiles in a loooooooong time. It would make it feel new again. But If you're like me, Coding's your thing, not graphic design. :D

You guessed right. I'm not a graphic type of guy. If someone gets me one which is original tho, i'll gladly give him the proper credits.

- internet high score server and bones servers maybe?

Sweet idea, maybe when everything else is working...

- Maybe a mp3 player built in. It gets pretty quiet when playing nethack for hours on end.

Yeah, you're right. I know that there is also some sounds implemented in nethack. I might get them to work too.

- oh, and maybe a more friendly intro interface once you get keybaord and mouse in? It's fine the way it is, But it could be a little nicer. :D

Do you have something in mind? Send me a screenshot or a sketch...

Other Random ideas
- Slash 'em Support? Maybe after you finish Nethack, you could move slash em over to psp too.

:rolleyes:

- Vulture's eye, and vulters claw support? I'm not a big fan of them, But I would guess someone is.

I'd like to implement this someday, for the PSP. Go check it out :

http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/screenshots/

Well, In Any case, Amazing work. This is why my psp is staying at 2.6 :D

Yeah, me too. I ain't playing GTA, Burnout or my baseball game anymore. Only Nethack.

I hope some of that helps!

It did! Thanks!

Pawa

Cap'n 1time
April 30th, 2006, 16:25
ah a fine example of how your ideas are appreciated by coders.. :)

gnazzah
April 30th, 2006, 17:55
First off a little bug:

In 2.6 Fanjita eloader 095 GTA mode I can't save. Whether that's because I'm stupid or a bug I really can't tell. Worth checking out maybe.

Navigation idea
When performing jumps or farlooking in the original you get a cursor. Could you use that with a timer to perform moves/attacks as well? Diagonal moves are impossible now, but if you could make the move with the cursor instead of the character, it would be really easy. Say, you got half a second (could be configurable) to perform a move. You want to go across up to the right. Well then press the up and right buttons within the time limit, and you're done. Your character follows the cursor when the time is up. This could be turned off in Sokoban.

Menu redesign
I'm terribly sorry to say, but the navigation as it is now is too clumsy and tedious. The main advantage of NetHack compared to a lot of its more modern cousins is the magnitude of commands it features. These commands need to be accessible. They're not that now. Hence my idea stolen from 3d applications like Alias and Rhinoceros

Figure a 3x3 square. Inside each of these 9 squares are 4 symbols, triangle, circle, cross and square. This makes 9x4=36 slots. Each of these slots holds a command. One 3x3 square is linked to one top button. Having two of these buttons and the possibility to press both at the same time gives us three constellations or 3x36=108 slots. This should be sufficient to efficiently sort out all commands in logical groups within a maximum of five presses of buttons for any command. Instead of giving alphanumeric codes to commands they would look like L_left_up_triangle or L_R_up_circle.

Pressing the top buttons invokes a pop up menu that lists all commands in their squares. You then navigate to the square your command resides and select it by its symbol.

I made a quick mock up to illustrate and put it here:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=4/11911500978.jpg&s=x402
Some work has to be done to consider which commands go where, like placing the ones most used closer to the middle, grouping similar commands etc. Well. That's what I had to say anyway. I'm really hoping this project is followed up until playable.

Oh. And quaff is misspelled (quafe) in the beta.

gnazzah
April 30th, 2006, 20:35
I thought of one more thing. When accessing items in the inventory, it would be nice to have the possibility to do stuff with them directly. Especially useful to items within a bag of holding within an oilskin sack. Or similar.

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 20:50
First off a little bug:
In 2.6 Fanjita eloader 095 GTA mode I can't save. Whether that's because I'm stupid or a bug I really can't tell. Worth checking out maybe.

Yes it is. I didn't try it with the GTA Exploit yet, I have a 2.0 and I don't need to use it. But since I have GTA, I'll give it a look.

ANYONE ELSE GOT THIS PROBLEM with the GTA:LC eLoader?

Navigation idea
When performing jumps or farlooking in the original you get a cursor. Could you use that with a timer to perform moves/attacks as well? Diagonal moves are impossible now, but if you could make the move with the cursor instead of the character, it would be really easy.

I see what you mean. Let me try to fix the diags first, as I'm pretty sure they were working great with the first release VMU did a while ago. I must have messed something up. In the mean time, I've implemented a 'Travel To' option in the context menu... this could help when you really want to move in diag, but its unacceptable as a long term solution.

Menu redesign
I'm terribly sorry to say, but the navigation as it is now is too clumsy and tedious.

I find it not that bad once you get used to it. The functions used the most are mapped on the buttons and the ones that aren't are in the context menu. This menu as been splitted in two columns now, its much easier to navigate. I have also added a small function that when you are at the top of the menu, pressing the up button will bring you to the last menu entry. It didn't have that in the previous release.

I really don't like having to remember the right button sequence for 108 possible combinations.

I might split up the context menu into sub-menus... Or maybe this won't be necessary when I do a sub-action menu right out of the inventory screen. I'm not sure yet.

But still, I keep your idea in mind and will give it more thoughts.

Oh. And quaff is misspelled (quafe) in the beta.

Thanks, it will be corrected in the next release.

In the mean time, let me post my 1.0d-BETA with the semi-functionnal soft keyboard and splitted context menu. Give it a try please, and let me know if its better.

Pawa

NOTE TO ADMIN: Don't put this beta on frontpage display yet; Even tho it contains nice new features, I haven't tested it fully yet and it might contain more bugs than solutions :)

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 20:53
I thought of one more thing. When accessing items in the inventory, it would be nice to have the possibility to do stuff with them directly. Especially useful to items within a bag of holding within an oilskin sack. Or similar.

Yes, I had that in mind already. That's what I meant with the '- A contextual menu for the 'Inventory' screen' entry in my ever growing TO DO list.

:D

Pawa

gnazzah
April 30th, 2006, 20:56
I really don't like having to remember the right button sequence for 108 possible combinations.

Me neither! That's my point, actually. ;)

IveGotThePawa
April 30th, 2006, 21:40

Me neither! That's my point, actually. ;)

OooOooohhh :eek: I see it more clearly now! So this would be like a pop-up menu with 9 possible selection, highlighted wheter you press Nothing / North / South / East / West or a combination of two (NE-NW-SE-SW).

Me Like It. Me Like It A Lot. :rolleyes:

You would have to press, lets say... the TOP_LEFT button, plus a direction (meaning two buttons at the same time for corner items) plus one of four possible action. Ain't that a bit too much to press at the same time? Those direction button on the PSP are so lame. I hate the way they have done it.

But still, its a very nice idea.

Pawa.

steve-b
April 30th, 2006, 23:30
I'm loving this port of nethack. Only a couple of things are bugging me...its pretty hard to aim spells diagonally and also, how do i aim them at myself? This should be the . key i believe? but none of the stuff maps to .

Need the #enhance command too!

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 00:27
I'm loving this port of nethack. Only a couple of things are bugging me...its pretty hard to aim spells diagonally and also, how do i aim them at myself? This should be the . key i believe? but none of the stuff maps to .

Need the #enhance command too!

Yes, you are correct... you can't do anything to yourself... yet ;)

The #enhance commands have been fixed, you should download the BETA1 on page #3 of this thread. It is in there.

Here's what has been fixed so far in the BETA:

- Fixed the bug of headers that would interfeer in the item selection dialog
- Added a way to go back up a menu when you've highlighted the last item (and vice versa)
- Correctly fixed to always select first item in a menu if no default is found (was buggy in some cases)
- Splitted the context menu in two columns
- Enable #enhancing your skills

Pawa

Cap'n 1time
May 1st, 2006, 01:24
oops, just reported your new beta. hopefully no one will put it up... sorry :/

megalodon
May 1st, 2006, 08:45
OK, first you re-create this FINE edition of Nethack, and then you DARE improving it even further in a matter of days, while taking suggestions?! What kind of coder are you?! You're supposed to be a lazy, apathetic bastar&! Shame on you! :P

Sorry that I don't have any suggestions to add, since everybody already suggested all those great ideas (I would really like a built-in MP3 player myself, but maybe that's asking too much), but I want to thank you again for making my PSP come alive again, because all those jumpers, shooters and racers drove me nuts already. Nothing beats the good old Nethack! I just sat at the doctor's office yesterday, and <FWOOSH!>, an hour just flew by me as my valkyrie went to level 8 and died a painful, painful death. And afterwards my wizard panicked and accidently zapped himself to death at level 5, while he was under attack by fierce rabid dogs. I'm re-living the early 90's all over again! :)

Oh, man, I can't thank you enough! :) You're my hero! :)

steve-b
May 1st, 2006, 11:47
One more thing...
Need a way to turn autopickup on or off for when you go into the shops etc.

This is really shaping up into a sweet port. As far as the menu system goes, i really like it. The controls are really fast once you remember the key combo's :)

Cap'n 1time
May 1st, 2006, 14:18
One more thing...

This is really shaping up into a sweet port. As far as the menu system goes, i really like it. The controls are really fast once you remember the key combo's :)
totally agree with the autopickup suggestion.

steve-b
May 1st, 2006, 17:12
very minor point here, but the 'quafe' in the menu should be 'quaff'

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 17:35
One more thing...

Thats strange. Autopickup is setted to be only for coins. :confused:

Would you check in your NetHackPSP Directory in the file .nethackrc if these two lines are there :

OPTIONS=autopickup
OPTIONS=pickup_types:$

Because this should do it. I didn't change anything regarding autopickup.

Thanks,
Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 17:44
OK, first you re-create this FINE edition of Nethack, and then you DARE improving it even further in a matter of days, while taking suggestions?! What kind of coder are you?! You're supposed to be a lazy, apathetic bastar! Shame on you! :P

:D I'm so sorry... if only those big game comapnies could read this. They'd be sorry for not letting me in a couple of years ago. lol

I just sat at the doctor's office yesterday, and <FWOOSH!>, an hour just flew by me as my valkyrie went to level 8 and died a painful, painful death. And afterwards my wizard panicked and accidently zapped himself to death at level 5, while he was under attack by fierce rabid dogs.

Oh, man, I can't thank you enough! :) You're my hero! :)

You are very welcomed. I did the same thing while awaiting to see the doctor. Unfortunatly, I totally suck when i'm not a Valkyrie and I always die painfull deaths in the mines. I would really like to be a successfull Ranger or Wizard, but it looks pretty damn hard.

But now, I have restarted an new Valkyrie and i'm up at level 13... Finished the mines (got my blessed luckstone), finished Sokoban (got my blessed bag of holding) and I was lucky enough to find a co-aligned altar in the mine's town so now I have a blessed rustproff Mjolnir to strike lightning uppon the wicked... Mouahahaha... Yendor, here I come. :cool:

(never got this far yet).

Pawa

gnazzah
May 1st, 2006, 17:54
I just died in the mines as a Valkyrie myself. Wearing a cursed ring of polymorph I did not have much chance. At the point of death I was weak from starving, blind, hallucinating and deadly sick. And currently turned into a steam vortex of all things. :D

gnazzah
May 1st, 2006, 18:23
Module attribs 00001000 suggest a kernel-mode app

I get this message when starting a game. Is that related to the fact that I cannot save? What does a savefile look like? Can I use one from an other port, like the one I've got in win?

Genki
May 1st, 2006, 20:00
Pawa

Yeah its coming pretty good already. I have a working keyboard emulation that comes up automatically whenever you have to type something. I just need to ajust it a bit and make it so you can also type any extended commands you like, even tho most of them are now mapped in the contextual menu.
Pawa

What I was thinking Is exactly that, when text is required, bring the keybaord up. BUt I was also think about having a button to bring the keyboard up, thatway you could just use commands from the keyboard?

Pawa

The only problem I have now for the mouse emulation, is to find a button that can be used the the left click. In the mean time, I've added the '_' command which lets you travel wherever you want real fast.
Pawa

Is it the smart move, where if something "interesting" is found you stop, or is it direct move?

Pawa

I think its already in there. I didn't test it myself, but VMU did. You can go check it out at http://virtuamunstaz.de/nh/
Pawa

I couldn't find anything about tilesets there...maybe I'm looking wrong?

Pawa

I'm not sure I understand this... I can reenable the in-game options, but not all of them will be available. I don't think I will work on a text editor / file manager as there is already some pretty good ones out there.
Pawa

What I'm talking about is a way to edit the nethack.rc file and the options files before the nethack game starts, via the psp. It 's really annoying to have to hook it up to the computer to change it.

Pawa

Do you have something in mind? Send me a screenshot or a sketch...
Pawa

If you've ever seen the Vulture's eye or claw intro's, maybe something like that?

Pawa

:rolleyes:
Pawa

What's wrong with SLASH 'EM

Pawa

I'd like to implement this someday, for the PSP. Go check it out :

http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/screenshots/
Pawa

Drools....Um..I couldn't find a windows download for that anywhere, you knwo where I could get one?

Yeah, I'm glad to help, Pawa, I know hat it's like to be a coder trying to get suuggestions, but only getting random useless feedback. haha

I'm off to go test the new beta.

steve-b
May 1st, 2006, 20:08
ok..i had edited the rc file to include potions, wands, scrolls, spellbooks in auto pickup, as I do in the windows version..the @ key turns autopick on and off, cause you obviously dont wanna wander round a shop and pick all these things up :)

One other thing, when engraving, can you get upper case letters? I believe the whole 'Elbereth' thing is case sensitive :)

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 20:19
I just died in the mines as a Valkyrie myself. Wearing a cursed ring of polymorph I did not have much chance. At the point of death I was weak from starving, blind, hallucinating and deadly sick. And currently turned into a steam vortex of all things. :D

LOL ! :D

Talk about a big piece of bad luck!

I just ate a "quantum mechanic" monster... that thing slowed me down so much, I just can't get away from anything now... Good for me I have a -15 AC.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 20:34
Module attribs 00001000 suggest a kernel-mode app

I get this message when starting a game. Is that related to the fact that I cannot save? What does a savefile look like? Can I use one from an other port, like the one I've got in win?

Saved game are in a separate directory called save under the NetHackPSP dir. The filename of the saved game is usually a 0 followed by the name of your character. So if your character is Player1, you should have a saved filed like that

PSP\GAME\NetHackPSP\save\0Player1

if you don't have a SAVE folder under NetHackPSP, that probably the reason why it is not working. Just create one and try it again. I have tried it with the GTA eLoader and it works. I can save and reload.

Hope this helps.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 20:46
ok..i had edited the rc file to include potions, wands, scrolls, spellbooks in auto pickup, as I do in the windows version..the @ key turns autopick on and off, cause you obviously dont wanna wander round a shop and pick all these things up :)

Sure, the version I am working on have the new feature of editing some of the Options available in-game in NetHack. Do you feel that this should be in the context menu? Are you doing this quite often, turning on and off the autopickup?

One other thing, when engraving, can you get upper case letters? I believe the whole 'Elbereth' thing is case sensitive :)

Well no uppercase for the BETA1 I have posted here in page 3 of this thread, but there is now in my current version :p.

I need to add some more feature and find a way to correct those diagonal movements before releasing a new version. I hope it will not take too long. If it does, I'll release another BETA here before that.

Pawa

steve-b
May 1st, 2006, 20:54
an options screen would be more than adequate for the amount of times I buy stuff. I usually just have my pet steal it all ;) It is the only option I really turn on or off during play though.

As far as the spell casting/arrow shooting direction, could you have an on screen menu for that? I guess you would want to keep menus to a minimum for smoothness of gameplay though

I also think the mouse pointer should be hidden and the analog used for scrolling. The d-pad is good enough for moving the cursor for selecting where to move to or what object to stat on screen

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 21:02
What I was thinking Is exactly that, when text is required, bring the keybaord up. BUt I was also think about having a button to bring the keyboard up, thatway you could just use commands from the keyboard?

As I told you before, I'm getting short on buttons. But still, I wanted to do it for the #extended command that can't be called from my context menu (like #twoweapon), so I migh as well do it for any commands at all. I will just have to find a way to mimic the CTRL or ALT keys.

Is it the smart move, where if something "interesting" is found you stop, or is it direct move?

Yes it does stop. Even if there is something as futile as writting in the dust.

I couldn't find anything about tilesets there...maybe I'm looking wrong?

I'll attach them to this message if you want to try them out and let us know if it still works. Here's what they will look like :

http://glhack.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

What I'm talking about is a way to edit the nethack.rc file and the options files before the nethack game starts, via the psp. It 's really annoying to have to hook it up to the computer to change it.

Yes I know. Its quite a hassle to connect the USB key just to change the text in the .nethackrc file. But still, there are some good PSP text editor already out there that can help you do that.

If you've ever seen the Vulture's eye or claw intro's, maybe something like that?

No sorry, I haven't tried any of those.

What's wrong with SLASH 'EM

Nothing... Since its the 'father' of NetHack, I don't see the point of porting two similar games on the PSP. Anyway, I have enough to do on NetHack as it is if I want it to be as good as possible. Maybe you could do it?

Drools....Um..I couldn't find a windows download for that anywhere, you knwo where I could get one?

You didn't look real hard, did ya... here are the links. You have to download the two files and install them in the same directory.

http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/downloads/0.8.4/Windows%20Installer/noegnud-0.8.4-Data_win32-1.exe
http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/downloads/0.8.4/Windows%20Installer/noegnud-0.8.4-NetHack_win32-1.exe

and if you want it with Slash'em, download this :

http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/downloads/0.8.4/Windows%20Installer/noegnud-0.8.4-SlashEM_win32-1.exe

Have fun now

Pawa

steve-b
May 1st, 2006, 21:06
A suggestion for editing rc files from the psp... you could have a bunch of pre-edited versions of the rc file with different names then use something like file-assistant to rename the one you want to run to the correct name before starting nethackpsp

IveGotThePawa
May 1st, 2006, 21:09
an options screen would be more than adequate for the amount of times I buy stuff. I usually just have my pet steal it all ;) It is the only option I really turn on or off during play though.

Cool! Then you'll be happy with the next beta.

As far as the spell casting/arrow shooting direction, could you have an on screen menu for that?

Well I think I'll use the same technique as for teleporting/fast travel/or looking at something far waway... You know? the small highlighted square that you can move around? Except I won't let it go farther than one of the nine squares surrounding the player.

I also think the mouse pointer should be hidden and the analog used for scrolling.

I think I will agree on that. I have no clue how am I gonna do this tho. This port comes from glHack, which used SDL to draw the windows... And I don't think the windows were meant to scroll up and down. But still, they weren't maid to be splitted in more than one column or to draw a softkeyboard and I managed it so.... I just need to look at the code and let the solutions come.

A suggestion for editing rc files from the psp... you could have a bunch of pre-edited versions of the rc file with different names then use something like file-assistant to rename the one you want to run to the correct name before starting nethackpsp

Yeah, but if 'file-assistant' can rename files, i'm pretty sure it can edit them as well no?

Anyway,
Thanks for the input.

Pawa

Genki
May 1st, 2006, 21:13
"Nothing... Since its the 'father' of NetHack, I don't see the point of porting two similar games on the PSP. Anyway, I have enough to do on NetHack as it is if I want it to be as good as possible. Maybe you could do it?"- Pawa

Um...Nethack is the father of SLASH ' EM...?
SLASH EM was made because the nethack devteam updates like once or twice a year or two.
SLash em just includes so much more than nethack (But sometimes that's a bad thing, lol)...but then again that would be that much more work...hmm..maybe I could do it lol, But I have no programming knowledge for the psp, I'll look into it.

Let me look into those tiles for you, thanks for the links.

steve-b
May 1st, 2006, 21:14
yeah that highlighted square would be perfect, far more elegant than a menu

Genki
May 1st, 2006, 21:23
Um...I got the tiles and what not, But how am I supposed to switch which tiles it uses, Let me do some digging through the rc fuiles and what not and see what I turn up.

I've never switched the tiles before when playing nethack..so, yeah.

megalodon
May 2nd, 2006, 09:03
Well I think I'll use the same technique as for teleporting/fast travel/or looking at something far waway... You know? the small highlighted square that you can move around? Except I won't let it go farther than one of the nine squares surrounding the player.

Pawa

Ummm...Why not? You NEED to shoot arrows or zap spells further than fighting melee, you know. Otherwise, what's the point? :)

Limit it further, much further, in my (humble) opinion.

P.S: You can check a great little "rogue-like" game called ADOM (http://www.adom.de/) which does exactly that - elves' expert archers that are supposed to be really lethal in range, and have all sorts of extra power-attacks and such. The game's mechanics are great all-around, but that's irrelevent. You can, however, look at how the game does the spell-based and ranged combat and take notes :p

steve-b
May 2nd, 2006, 13:44
you only need those 8 squares becuase there are only 8 possible directions to shoot/spell in..
n, ne, e, se, s, sw, w, nw

steve-b
May 2nd, 2006, 14:08
well, 9 if you including casting/shooting yourself :P

gnazzah
May 2nd, 2006, 14:09
Saved game are in a separate directory called save under the NetHackPSP dir. The filename of the saved game is usually a 0 followed by the name of your character. So if your character is Player1, you should have a saved filed like that

PSP\GAME\NetHackPSP\save\0Player1

if you don't have a SAVE folder under NetHackPSP, that probably the reason why it is not working. Just create one and try it again. I have tried it with the GTA eLoader and it works. I can save and reload.

Hope this helps.

Pawa

I feel I should have guessed it was something like that. Easy to say when you know the anwer. :p Anyways: Worked like a charm! Thank you sir!

IveGotThePawa
May 3rd, 2006, 01:56
Let me look into those tiles for you, thanks for the links.

Found anything? 'cause I sure don't know how to change them. If you don't find anything, I could look it up in the code.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 3rd, 2006, 01:59
yeah that highlighted square would be perfect, far more elegant than a menu

I got that working. The only problem with that is that you have to chose the direction then confirm it. So it take twice the time to do the same thing as before.

But the advantage is that doing stuff in diags is now available.

Maybe I'll do something like, if you press the direction buttons only, go that way immediatly. But if you press (for example) TOP_LEFT + a direction button, then you get the highlighted square.

Hmmm

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 3rd, 2006, 02:00
You can check a great little "rogue-like" game called ADOM (http://www.adom.de/) which does exactly that - elves' expert archers that are supposed to be really lethal in range, and have all sorts of extra power-attacks and such. The game's mechanics are great all-around, but that's irrelevent. You can, however, look at how the game does the spell-based and ranged combat and take notes :p

Thanks ! I'll check it out.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 3rd, 2006, 02:02
I feel I should have guessed it was something like that. Easy to say when you know the anwer. :p Anyways: Worked like a charm! Thank you sir!

I'm glad it did... I will need a way to make sure this SAVE directory is always created. Either in the game or in the zip file, put a bogus file in it (more likely).

Pawa

steve-b
May 3rd, 2006, 10:14
I got that working. The only problem with that is that you have to chose the direction then confirm it. So it take twice the time to do the same thing as before.

Maybe I'll do something like, if you press the direction buttons only, go that way immediatly. But if you press (for example) TOP_LEFT + a direction button, then you get the highlighted square.

Hmmm

Pawa

That sounds ok, comfirmation may be useful..I magic missile my pet way too much :D

Perhaps go with just the confirmation message for now and if there is bad feedback add in the 'top left + direction' thing.

Next question: When can I try it! ;)

(damnit my pet just fell in a pit on dlvl 1)

gnazzah
May 3rd, 2006, 12:45

Hmmm

Pawa

I don't like the idea to have to use the TOP_LEFT every time I want to move across. That would kill my fingers eventually. ;)

What about suppressing the y/n dialog and let a timer press y for you like I suggested earlier? This would only apply to times a general direction takes place. When you, for instance, would like to farlook youl'd move the cursor and confirm the oldfashion way. The timer must be quite short, but not too short to let one press the directional pad twice. This way you also solve the _self . dilemma. Move right-left and you're back to start.

Hey! And if the user presses the directional pad before the time is up, the move is made and a new sequence is started. :)

IveGotThePawa
May 3rd, 2006, 14:01
That sounds ok, comfirmation may be useful..I magic missile my pet way too much :D

Perhaps go with just the confirmation message for now and if there is bad feedback add in the 'top left + direction' thing.

Next question: When can I try it!

How about now? I will upload a new Beta.

What about suppressing the y/n dialog and let a timer press y for you like I suggested earlier?

I don't think a timer is a good idea in a turn based game. Anyway, as I said to steve-b, I'll upload a new beta. Download it and tell me what you think about it.

Thanks guys.

Pawa

steve-b
May 3rd, 2006, 15:34
hey Gnazzah, I think you have the wrong end of the stick here...you'd only have to do the top-left thing if you wanted to shoot/spell diagonally, not every time you wanted to move.
I see it like this..
zap spell..
what direction?
(its not n,e,s or w, so you hit top-left to bring up the cursor square)
(it is n,e,s or w, so you just tap the d-pad as you do now)

I'll download this new one when I get home from work and have a play around

steve-b
May 3rd, 2006, 15:59
Pawa,

I had ten mins free so I tried it at work anyway :P The spell aiming works a treat, and i'm not getting a confirmation question. I just click on the square and it zaps! This is perfect IMO. It even lets me pick myself, so you seem to have covered all the bases here :D
Also, the options menu looks sweet. I'll try that out when I have a bit more time

So, just scrolling missing now? I guess we can even live without that on the main map. But scrolling the menu windows might be a good addition for when your inventory is massive and you want to view the options at the bottom of the list etc.

Thanks for your hard work, it's really paying off man

gnazzah
May 3rd, 2006, 16:14
I don't think a timer is a good idea in a turn based game.
Hmm. I don't mean to go away from the turn based concept. Each turn is just 'packed' within a timelimit whenever you want to perform a move. Otherwise you have all the time in the world, of course. Maybe I don't explain the idea well enough? I'll make an example of what I think could work:

My character is just about to quaff from a fountain at dungeon level 3. Suddenly a stream of Water Moccasins emerge from the fountain. The poor low level Tourist stands no chance towards these crawling creatures and decides to flee the scene. The only opening is to the south west, where I entered through a doorway.

By pressing down, then left rather quickly I move the character SW (in one turn). I do this a couple of times, while the monsters follow. At the door opening I check my inventory to find an unidentified wand. I decide to test it. I zap ('In which direction?' up, right 'Confirm?' yes) back the way I came from to find it was a wand of Magic Missile. It kills the nearest Moccasin, hurts two more. I step out of the door opening (left and wait 0.4 seconds before the character actually do the move) and analyze the situation (40 seconds, or whatever): I'm nearly dead, but have a mighty weapon. I will probably die if I engage in further battle with the Moccasins. I decide to close the door (close 'In which direction?' right) to regain my strength.

As you see I do not mean to corrupt the turn based gameplay. I simply suggest you could fit within a timed period a move consisting of two key presses.

megalodon
May 3rd, 2006, 17:28
Excellent! You even added the options menu! (albeit you can't see the options past A, but still). I really like the added interface, especially the ability to type things, really good work there!

Hmmm, what would really make it perfect for me is actually a little "help" menu that could pop-out whenever you press the top left or top right buttons. For example: when you press the top left button you get a mini help menu that says X-Open, Square-Search, Triangle-Close etc...

By the way, is there a way to add some sort of "sticky-keys" in the game? So you could just hold the right D-pad button and continue moving right instead of having to press the right D-pad for every step. Just wondering :)

Keep up the good work, as usual!

steve-b
May 3rd, 2006, 18:49
Being able to hold down the keys and move would be bad imo..you could end up walking too far or whatever.

I've had a few hours to play with this latest beta and its pretty decent. The scrolling issue is the only real problem.

Is there a trick for picking your finger to engrave with also? I can't seem to get that working

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 02:52
The spell aiming works a treat, and i'm not getting a confirmation question. I just click on the square and it zaps! This is perfect IMO. It even lets me pick myself, so you seem to have covered all the bases here :D
Also, the options menu looks sweet. I'll try that out when I have a bit more time

Yeah, this was a fun thing to do. I basically used almost the same technique as for fast traveling or looking out a symbol on the map. I like it when its that simple. You know, coders are very good for the environment. We love to Reduce, Reuse and Recyle! :D

btw, you can also pick UP or DOWN if you want to aim something (like digging) at the floor or the ceiling. Juste use the same buttons you would do to climb up or down ladders.

So, just scrolling missing now? I guess we can even live without that on the main map. But scrolling the menu windows might be a good addition for when your inventory is massive and you want to view the options at the bottom of the list etc.

Yes, scrolling is next on my list before the next official release. I have fixed the diagonal movements (by adding some more key combination) and added the choice to enter your own text for extended commands. You can now call #twoweapon and stuff that wern't mapable.

Thanks for your hard work, it's really paying off man

I'm not done yet tho! Still so much to do.

But at least I'm having fun... And i'm reaping the benefits too! I can play my favorite game where ever and when ever I want.

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 02:57
As you see I do not mean to corrupt the turn based gameplay. I simply suggest you could fit within a timed period a move consisting of two key presses.

Yes, you are right it could be a good way to do it. With my next release tho, you'll only have to press buttons this way:

[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[UP] = North-East
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[DOWN] = South-West
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[LEFT] = North-West
[TOP LEFT]+[TOP RIGHT]+[RIGHT] = South-East

And you know that I fixed spell casting direction with the previous beta. So I'm now hopefull that your character will easily be able to run away in diags and close that door... for long enough to take back your health and go kick those mocassin's asses! Arrrrr!

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 03:07
Excellent! You even added the options menu! (albeit you can't see the options past A, but still). I really like the added interface, especially the ability to type things, really good work there!

Thanks. There's only the scrolling of menus that are too big for the screen that is really bothering me. I'll find something.

Hmmm, what would really make it perfect for me is actually a little "help" menu that could pop-out whenever you press the top left or top right buttons.

Well there is a help function already available in Nethack. I just need the scrolling working before re-enabling it and changing it to fit this PSP release. But its a very good idea, I'll make sure to put it in my #todo list.

By the way, is there a way to add some sort of "sticky-keys" in the game? So you could just hold the right D-pad button and continue moving right instead of having to press the right D-pad for every step. Just wondering :)

There is the fast movement that I find pretty usefull to accomplish that. You know:

[TOP LEFT]+[UP] = Fast North
[TOP LEFT]+[DOWN] = Fast South
[TOP LEFT]+[LEFT] = Fast West
[TOP LEFT]+[RIGHT] = Fast East

Keep up the good work, as usual!

I sure will do that.

You know that I've just died at ExpLevel13? Damnit!

Mines where done, Sokoban was acheived, the big room emptied, I had taken all of my stuff from the upper level down to level -12... I was trying to level up to ExpLevel 14 to enter my Quest level... And ZAP! a goddamn Fire Giant Zapped the Death Wand right at my heart. I didn't get a chance to behead him with my brand new Vorpal Blade.

I'm so pissed! :mad:

LOL ... had fun tho. I'll try to 'Legolas' this Dungeon of Doom now... Lets see how far I get.

Pawa

Cap'n 1time
May 4th, 2006, 04:27
i was trying to play today.. and i got stuck in a wall. Ive tried to recreate this error but I havnt been able to -_-. odd

gnazzah
May 4th, 2006, 09:55
You know that I've just died at ExpLevel13? Damnit!

Mines where done, Sokoban was acheived, the big room emptied, I had taken all of my stuff from the upper level down to level -12... I was trying to level up to ExpLevel 14 to enter my Quest level... And ZAP! a goddamn Fire Giant Zapped the Death Wand right at my heart. I didn't get a chance to behead him with my brand new Vorpal Blade.

I'm so pissed! :mad:

LOL ... had fun tho. I'll try to 'Legolas' this Dungeon of Doom now... Lets see how far I get.

Pawa

Poor *******! :D

Reminds me of a thing, tho. What happens when you die? Do you go to heaven or hell? Or is it maybe a slight (1/3) chance you'll spend eternity as a bonefile? (Or at least until some new adventurer comes along and whack you to oblivion.)

This game really is coming along now. Great work! I do have one consern though. I get the feeling the controls are getting mapped as you're progressing and finding problem areas. The logic as to which buttons to press is getting dimmer and dimmer. I strongly suggest a rethinking of this before going official (hopefully) one day. At least an easily accessible help screen to find combos must be included.

Keep up! And maybe I can get my wife to play this game too. :D

gnazzah
May 4th, 2006, 09:58
Oh! And I have this arrow down in my lower, right corner (eloader 0.95). Is that supposed to be there, or is it just my homebrewloader that does that?

steve-b
May 4th, 2006, 10:54
The arrow is normal

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 14:18
i was trying to play today.. and i got stuck in a wall. Ive tried to recreate this error but I havnt been able to -_-. odd

Are you sure you wern't in a pit or caught in a bear trap?

If you find a way to reproduce it, save the game and send it to me... i'll check it out.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 14:26
What happens when you die? Do you go to heaven or hell? Or is it maybe a slight (1/3) chance you'll spend eternity as a bonefile? (Or at least until some new adventurer comes along and whack you to oblivion.)

Well it depends on where you die. There are numerous factors that will decide wheter you leave a bonefile or not. I don't know them all, but I know some special levels never leave bone files, as well as when you die in a corridor. You should check out a Nethack spoiler on that, i'm pretty sure it is all explained in there somewhere.

I do have one consern though. I get the feeling the controls are getting mapped as you're progressing and finding problem areas. The logic as to which buttons to press is getting dimmer and dimmer. I strongly suggest a rethinking of this before going official (hopefully) one day. At least an easily accessible help screen to find combos must be included.

Sure. I'll check it out. Two things will probably happend:

1- I will reenable the help and you will be able to know the button combination right on your PSP screen (you know that in the mean time, you can look out the README.PSP file in the NetHackPSP directory?)

2- I will try to make all those button customizable. Will a configuration file that will help you do the settings you like. Because I probably like a button configuration and you would like another... So no fighting! :)

Oh! And I have this arrow down in my lower, right corner (eloader 0.95). Is that supposed to be there, or is it just my homebrewloader that does that?

Yeah, like Steve-B said, the arrow is normal. You have downloaded my beta where I was trying it. Its a 'mouse pointer'. You can move it around (and out of sight) with the analog button on your PSP. Don't worry, it will not be there on future release.

Pawa

Cap'n 1time
May 4th, 2006, 14:54
nope, no trap or pit. I went down the stairs and when I spawned I looked around.. Nothing ahead of me (no traps) so I walked forward and I just was stuck in an empty space. I mean no room to walk around period. :confused:

Is there some weird blind curse I am not aware of or somthing?

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 17:36
nope, no trap or pit. I went down the stairs and when I spawned I looked around.. Nothing ahead of me (no traps) so I walked forward and I just was stuck in an empty space. I mean no room to walk around period. :confused:

Is there some weird blind curse I am not aware of or somthing?

Sure, you can go blind. But you should be able to move anyway. It will light up walls / doors as you bump on them.

But if you get this again, send me the file. I'll check it out.

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 4th, 2006, 17:43
Um...I got the tiles and what not, But how am I supposed to switch which tiles it uses, Let me do some digging through the rc fuiles and what not and see what I turn up.

I've never switched the tiles before when playing nethack..so, yeah.

Try setting a new options in the .nethackrc file

OPTIONS=tile_height:16
OPTIONS=tile_height:32

or

OPTIONS=tile_height:64

depending on the file you want to use (gltile16.png, gltile32.png, gltile64.png)

It seems to work for me!

Pawa

Genki
May 4th, 2006, 19:49
Try setting a new options in the .nethackrc file

OPTIONS=tile_height:16
OPTIONS=tile_height:32

or

OPTIONS=tile_height:64

depending on the file you want to use (gltile16.png, gltile32.png, gltile64.png)

It seems to work for me!

Pawa
Okay, thanks! I'll check that out after I mess with my eloader (some files got moved) and download the new beta.

IveGotThePawa
May 5th, 2006, 20:00
I have finnaly taken the time to do this little web site to keep you all posted on my latest changes to the Nethack PSP homebrew. Hope you like it.

http://payettea.googlepages.com/ :D

grin.ch
May 5th, 2006, 22:06
This game needs more.

IveGotThePawa
May 5th, 2006, 23:41
This game needs more.

Would you kinldy elaborate on that?

Pawa

megalodon
May 6th, 2006, 09:40
This game needs more.

This game is a classic and is the grand father of the Hack and Slash genre in video games. If you want more, then go play something else. It's that simple.

Nevermind him, IveGotThePawa.

IveGotThePawa
May 6th, 2006, 20:50
You know, I can understand people who doesn't like this game. Not because this game as the longest developing life span of all games that it makes it perfect. Some people might not like RPGs; Some people might find that the lack of good graphic or cool animation and special effects is a turn off; Maybe its because you don't really have a storyline; or that its not a MMORPG...

But what this game doesn't need, is people playing it just because lots of other people do it. I sure as hell don't want everyone playing this game; I like being part of a more select group ;)

And anyway, I won't be offended if I get tone of hate mail concerning this game... I didn't wrote it, I play it! ... And I just enhanced it a bit so the VMU port would be a little bit more playable. This game belong to be on the PSP.

Have a nice one, everybody.

megalodon
May 6th, 2006, 23:27
This game has so much more options and features than current RPG's, yet it was released ages ago. Coming in here and saying: "this game needs more", just because it doesn't have The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion level of graphics (which is a great game, btw, I love it) is just like looking at The Godfather trilogy and saying: eh, the movies don't have big explosions, special effects, and/or big action actors, they "need more".

Nethack was a huge cornerstone in gaming history, and still is a great fun and challenging game overall. I didn't write it, ported it, or somehow messed around with it, but I did play it in most of its versions for the last 18-20 years (give or take) back in the days when it was just called Hack, and that's why I'm willing to "defend" the game. I didn't know that this is your opinion on the subject, otherwise I wouldn't type "Nevermind him, IveGotThePawa". I'll know better next time, though.

But never mind that, how's the coding going? :p

Cap'n 1time
May 7th, 2006, 02:11
This game needs more... SOUND! I think everyone agrees with me their :) .

Any plans to add sfx to the game?

IveGotThePawa
May 7th, 2006, 14:21
Nethack was a huge cornerstone in gaming history, and still is a great fun and challenging game overall. I didn't write it, ported it, or somehow messed around with it, but I did play it in most of its versions for the last 18-20 years (give or take) back in the days when it was just called Hack, and that's why I'm willing to "defend" the game. I didn't know that this is your opinion on the subject, otherwise I wouldn't type "Nevermind him, IveGotThePawa". I'll know better next time, though.

Yeah, if all good RPGs today would have the same amount of stuff incorporated into them... they'd simply be amazing. But now, the only thing that counts is to have superb graphics or be online. Yet me too, I just love Oblivion. They are starting to understand that its not just all in the graphics. Being able to do pretty much wathever you want, now thats good!

But never mind that, how's the coding going? :p

Well it has slowed down. I'm stuck on the scrolling issues. I'm almost there, but not quite. Its a bit frustrating. But don't worry, I haven't given up yet.

IveGotThePawa
May 7th, 2006, 14:24
This game needs more... SOUND! I think everyone agrees with me their :) .

Any plans to add sfx to the game?

Sure there are! I have stumbled across a MP3 playing capability for the PSP. I will probably try to incorporate it in the game, because this as been something other users want too... a MP3 Player within NetHack.

I know there are also a possibility for sounds already incorporated in NetHack, but since I have almost never seen a version with sound yet, my guess is that is not easy to enable.

megalodon
May 7th, 2006, 15:45
I know there are also a possibility for sounds already incorporated in NetHack, but since I have almost never seen a version with sound yet, my guess is that is not easy to enable.

I have - it's HORRIFIC. Everytime you hit or miss you get a really cheesy SWOOOSH!, THUD! or a silly death-cry. It was so annoying that I turned the thing OFF after a few games. Don't bother :)

MP3 player in the game, though, is just what the doctor ordered :p

IveGotThePawa
May 7th, 2006, 18:38
I have - it's HORRIFIC. Everytime you hit or miss you get a really cheesy SWOOOSH!, THUD! or a silly death-cry. It was so annoying that I turned the thing OFF after a few games. Don't bother :)

LOL :D That bad huh?

MP3 player in the game, though, is just what the doctor ordered :p

Yeah, that will be cool. I'm not sure I will be able to access directly whats in the MP3 folder of the PSP. I guess we will have to copy them into a SOUND folder or something.

IveGotThePawa
May 8th, 2006, 15:37
I have released a new version of NetHack for the PSP. Check the news!

(when it will be released by the admins) :D

gnazzah
May 8th, 2006, 20:42
Great man! I'll get to it as soon as possible. (When my PC-character dies yet another stoopid death some time soon.)

I'm wondering if I will do something with some alternative tiles for your release. Would that be interresting?

Good going!

Genki
May 8th, 2006, 21:20
Ok, genki here (I've checked out your to do list pawa (on the site), it really makes me feel like i'm helping :D)

Sorry for the huge delay pawa, been busy, okay,

Heres what I found on the tiles :
- 16x16 [WORKS] [Comments: Classic, and great...We could use a new tileset though.]
- 32x32 [WORKS] [Comments: I think, that if someone redid these tiles (They just look too silly for me), they would be the BEST to use, they are the perfect size]
- 64x64 [WORKS] [Comments: These could be used to make nethack virtually look like anything, but without mapscolling implemented, they seem a tad too big, other than that, they look okay.]

And here is just a few more suggestions :
- a seperate folder for the storage of maps and bones and whatnot, or at least jsut the bones files. It'd just be a little more organized (and make it easier to transfre bones between releases)
- as said above maybe store everything seperatley like you are storing the saves...a folder for the .lev, the .bn, the tiles, the fonts,and the rest. Iyt would make it a little easier to manage, but if it would be a coding nightmare (Don't see why it would though), then who cares?

Some Bugs :
- I think there might abe a bug with the [more] command used for text...If you hit X, then it displays the next lines of text, but it rests a turn too.
I usually hit circle to solve it, but I just thought i'd let you know.
- when the keyboard is called, you can still use other keys for input like LEtf trigger + button

Some things that might or might not be bugs, but I think I should mention anyway :
- When you call a menu, or the keybaord, none of the controls are disabled at all, so it is more than possible the bring up a nmenu on a menu, which can be backed out of, but is annoying when uyou hit the wrong key...
Maybe just disable all the non dpad, non X or O and scrolling connands when a window is up, that would solve it.
- GRRR You are still missing some extended commands, like #twoweapon, and I think a few others...
- You are lacking some consistency in your options menu You put # before all your extended comands except #engrave
- Do we really need to have it say quaff (drink) and pray (god), anyone whos played nethack knows these things, so maybe you could leave them in the help file?
- You mislabeled you #name commands

And of course, some congratulations :
- You've made me a very happy hacker pawa, and I can't WAIT for each release, I haven't messed arounf with build d yet, but I am about too.
- any help you need, or any suggestions I'll be here. :D

NOTE: All these are based off of BETA2, so if any of these have been changed, my bad

Great man! I'll get to it as soon as possible. (When my PC-character dies yet another stoopid death some time soon.)

I'm wondering if I will do something with some alternative tiles for your release. Would that be interresting?

Good going!
-gnazzah

Please, DO! I don't mean to ursurp Pawa's Power (no pun intended...), but the tiles are completely independant, and I'd love some good tiles!
But if you are going to do it, just make sure you do it right! (If you don't know what something looks like, google it or something, I've seen some awfull tilesets)

Okay, well, I think I might have left a thing or two off, But I really want to test out 1.0d.
:D more soon.

P.S. Maybe on your official site you could give us a priority list so we know what's next :D

Genki
May 9th, 2006, 02:33
[BUG] the windows after death dont scroll.

gnazzah
May 9th, 2006, 09:30
-gnazzah

Please, DO! I don't mean to ursurp Pawa's Power (no pun intended...), but the tiles are completely independant, and I'd love some good tiles!
But if you are going to do it, just make sure you do it right! (If you don't know what something looks like, google it or something, I've seen some awfull tilesets)

I'm aiming for 100% correctness, but can of course get it wrong here and there. With the 16x16 and 32x32 sets as a base, combined with an arsenal of the monster manual and other spoilers I feel I'm good on my way. I'm starting off with the abigabi tiles, that I myself way prefer to anything else I've seen so far. When that work is done I'll even maybe get my hands dirty and try something on my own. But the shear magnitude of the tiles can take ones breath away.

Btw. Some of the tiles seems to be for other games. I've finished the humanoids, the walls and floors, everything magical and all monsters from aA to gG. This is going to work! The resolution? 32x32

gnazzah
May 9th, 2006, 16:46
All monsters are identified and mapped. Halfway through the objects. This is messy!

EDIT: Hallelujah! Found in the source the order of the tiles. Not all walls and beams and such are explained in the text, but those are easier to identify visually anyway. Here's the order from top-left to bottom right in the "gltile32.png".

gnazzah
May 10th, 2006, 11:50
Finally finished! I had to reduce the tiles because the port uses the tiles in gltile16.png (you don't need the other two files, actually). All monsters are supposed to be correct, all major ones are anyway (correct here is meaning both accurate towards the game characters and towards the original tileset abigabi (http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/downloads/0.8.4/Data%20Extras/noegnud-0.8.0_data-tileset-abigabi.tar.bz2)). I've had to fill in some blanks where the original tilset has some monsters not included in the game or the abigabi one. I also did a redesign or modification on some monsters, like the golems, that I felt wasn't 100% in the original. Some places I had to guess which tiles went where, so towards the original I might miss a few shots, but in context everything should be in order. This especially applies to wand zaps, but also walls in Gehennom and such. Please test and let me know how to improve this. Replace the gltile16.png with this and you're done.

http://f5.putfile.com/5/12906333928.png

PS: It would be great if the 32x32 tiles could be used instead...

gnazzah
May 10th, 2006, 12:45
And then what happens as the first thing after I finish this? I stumble upon this (http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/nhtiles/tilesets/) page that I by some stray chance did not see last time. All my work is a total waste. :o

Skateblind
May 10th, 2006, 21:32
Good work dude. Hope you get the mp3 playback coded soon. I just wish they brought out Oblivion in a nethack style, now that would be awesome. Keep it up, we all want a the best game for the psp to get even better.

gnazzah
May 11th, 2006, 12:25
I can't help this. Help me! :p

I've now checked and double checked my revision of abigabi. It is now 100% correct. To use instead of the original tileset do as follows:

Save this image to your PSP games NetHack folder and rename/replace it with the existing file gltile16.png.

That's it! :)

http://f5.putfile.com/5/13009545610.png

Revisions since the previous:
Some monsters were wrong, as were some of the robes, boots, potions, traps and weapons. Nothing big there, and nothing that ruins gameplay. I've made all floors black. A very light shade on the corridors is added. Magic tools are now magic. Other unmentionable tweaks here and there. Have fun!

IveGotThePawa
May 11th, 2006, 17:48
Hi Everyone!

First of, let me just say that I have started a new thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24165) since the release of 1.0d, I will come back here too to check out the thread but you should start new subjects about nethack there.

I've now checked and double checked my revision of abigabi. It is now 100% correct.

Wow ! What a nice Tileset !

Do you mind if I post it on my website too? I'm sure some gamers from other sites than DCEMU (shame on them) will like to get there hands on it too!

Brilliant work!

Good work dude. Hope you get the mp3 playback coded soon. I just wish they brought out Oblivion in a nethack style, now that would be awesome. Keep it up, we all want a the best game for the psp to get even better.

Yeah, well I guess they are starting to realize a bit that you need more than just beautifull graphics. Oblivion is on the right track. Lets hope more will come!

And for that MP3 player, I haven't started yet, but I will soon!

And here is just a few more suggestions (...) Some Bugs (...)

You are quite right, none of the controls are disabled when calling the context menu or the keyboard. It can result in strange behaviours. I have taken notes on that and will investigate further.

As for the separate folders, its on my todo list (which wasn't release to everyone) ... I just can't seem to make it work yet. There's still something I don't understand about the way this little sucker saves things.

I'll check it out for the [more] feature, loosing a turn stuff.

The #twoweapon stuff is there in the 1.0d release, you have to use the custom command and type it tho, to access it. Since there is no shortcut for it already in place in nethack, I couldn't put it straight in the menu.

Engrave is not an extanded command. #Enhance is.

And yes, I will try to list the #todo on my site with the things I will do next on top of the list.

Thanks again for all you inputs!

Pawa