PDA

View Full Version : Compiled examples from DDEr4 gives error on DC - Slot illegal instruction exception e

mpldc
July 27th, 2009, 15:26
Hi,

I have installed the DDEr4 (It did give me a MD5 failure on a file called "binutils-20060817-1.tar.bz2", so I burned a new CD but got the same error again) and have compiled a few of the included examples, however when I try to transfer the elf files to my Dreamcast using dc-tool (serial) my DC gives me an error message on a blue screen saying: "Slot illegal instruction exception expevt 000001a0..."

Now since I'm very new to all this I don't really know how to interpret the error, so if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction I would be very happy :)

BlueCrab
July 27th, 2009, 16:14
To me, this says that some part of the compiler toolchain was very broken, since you shouldn't ever be getting an error about a slot illegal instruction in compiled code. If you were working with something in assembler I could see it, but not something you just compiled that was written in C or C++.

I'd suspect that your binutils was indeed broken, and you probably need to redownload the entire ISO to fix it, unfortunately. Binutils contains a couple of vital pieces of the compiling setup (namely the assembler and linker), so if one of them is broken it could indeed be producing broken code.

mpldc
July 27th, 2009, 16:35
Thank you very much, I will try to download the DDEr4 image again. And just so I don't have to waste too many CD's (I only have 2 left now!), does anyone have an MD5 Hash from a working image?