PDA

View Full Version : The ECA wants you to tell Obama how cool video games are

wraggster
July 28th, 2009, 16:01
Video games are totally cool, right? The Entertainment Consumers Association thinks so, and wants you to let the US President know how you feel about video games and their effect on your life, via an email form on its website. Specifically, the folks at the ECA want you to "point out some ways that video games have empowered and educated you." Like that time you were empowered by GTA IV to rob someone, right? (That's a joke, Mr. Thompson.) The political lobbying group is of course responding to the continuing message from President Obama during speeches to "put the video games away."

While we're sure Mr. President would love to read all about how World of Warcraft taught you about time (mis)management or how Drop7 makes you see things in groups of seven or less everywhere you go (is that just us?), we're thinking the "intellectual stimulation" and "problem solving" routes might be a bit more advantageous.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/27/the-eca-wants-you-to-tell-obama-how-cool-video-games-are/

osgeld
July 28th, 2009, 17:52
I will not!

I like video games and all, I think they are a fine product that I buy on a regular basis

But I also see diabetic kids that cant run over a block, sitting on their arses, sucking down soda's and playing games every second of their free time

You do need to put the video games down, Playstation or Xbox is not the end all be all of existence

darkriku2000
July 28th, 2009, 20:15
^Agreed, just because he wants people to play games doesn't mean that he's trying to shutdown the game companies, hell, I wish that I had spent less time playing videogames in the past and took that time to exercise and learn new skills

XDelusion
July 28th, 2009, 21:36
I'd rather throw tomatoes at our new puppet dictator. Collapse the high ways, the sky scrapers, uproot the asphalt, the concrete, and return to our roots with nature, free from the tyranny of deluded men and media who seek to keep us dumbed down so that they may control use and take advantage of our minds, bodies, souls, time, energy, and dreams.

Naturally I do not need to demolish this civilization as it will in the end eat it self.

Just a thought. :)

NeoXCS
July 28th, 2009, 22:23
I work hard all day, get the exercise I need. When I was younger I gamed all day and still lost weight. Gaming is a hobby. Live your life, find love and happiness. It won't hurt to put a couple of hours of "insert game here" in will it?

John Vattic
July 29th, 2009, 01:10
XDelusion, I could not agree more. You however added humor, which I'm sure the boneheads will not appreciate or understand.

Rock on!

osgeld
July 29th, 2009, 01:32
I work hard all day, get the exercise I need. When I was younger I gamed all day and still lost weight. Gaming is a hobby. Live your life, find love and happiness. It won't hurt to put a couple of hours of "insert game here" in will it?

Well if these pitchfork wielding interest groups would pull their heads out of their bum's for one second they would understand thats what the man said

About my comment earlier I did witness this with my neice, when she was really young I got her a top loader NES, basicly so she would stop buggin me when I brought over my new toy, a Dreamcast

Years later I babysat them after school and it got to the point where she would act like she just ran a marathon going up the front stairs, walk in not even setting her stuff down and getting on the PS2 (kingdom hearts, god that game is annoying)

And it seemed like you had to throw something at her or disconnect the stupid console before she would even move her head

Homework went right down the drain, found out later she was sneaking out in the middle of the night to play games so school went out too, later all that midnight snacking of total crap, 0 exercise and exhaustion finally ended at age 12, with insulin shots

Im not saying dont let your kids play video games, Im just saying if you do be a parent and make their lives more well rounded ... and thats the message I got from Prez, but I also watched the original speech and am not trying to exploit 1 snippet for basically attention

jamotto
July 29th, 2009, 22:30
later all that midnight snacking of total crap, 0 exercise and exhaustion finally ended at age 12, with insulin shots

Everyone should do something other than play video games all day, however if she is a type 1 diabetic then it doesn't matter she would still have been a diabetic even if she could run a 3 minute mile without breaking a sweat.