PDA

View Full Version : Next Console Generation Defined By Software, Not Hardware

wraggster
July 31st, 2009, 14:49
Fast Company recent spoke with Microsoft exec Shane Kim about Natal and the future of the Xbox 360. Kim said they're very interested in continuing to build out support for social networking and digital distribution, and he also made some interesting remarks about their long term plans. Quoting:
"It really has much more to do with ... the innovation and longevity that will be created when Project Natal is added to that mix and the value and the entertainment options that we continue to expand on Xbox Live. The 'next generation' will be defined by software and services, not hardware. In the past we would always get this question: 'Hey, there's a new console launch every five years and you're coming up on that time for Xbox, right?' That's the old treadmill way of thinking. Before you had things that were very obvious, from a hardware standpoint — pushing more pixels, the move from 2-D to 3-D, 3-D to HD, etc. We got a very powerful piece of hardware in Xbox 360. I am confident that we have more headroom available, in terms of developers and creators figuring out how to get more out of the system. So I worry less about new hardware having to enable us to move to a different level of graphics. It's much more about the experiences that you are going to deliver."

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/07/31/0449201/Next-Console-Generation-Defined-By-Software-Not-Hardware

osgeld
July 31st, 2009, 15:08
almost every single console has been driven by its software and not hardware

theres plenty of examples of super beefy hardware with dirt software not making it

so this article is kinda like saying "the sky is blue" well no DUH

:confused:

Sterist
July 31st, 2009, 19:40
the people who want to dip their feet in the sand box with the 360 will do so. those who want a console that can render some of the best images and most polygons will do so.

the industry isn't driven by either really.. there's 3 groups of people regarding this

1. people who want the best quality
2. people who just want to have fun
3. people who don't really care either way

mike_jmg
August 1st, 2009, 00:58
The sky is blue, yes it is

ps2 is still selling because of the amazing software. Can't say the same about the PS3, even so I got one just to play God of War 3, I have a 360 as well, so I can enjoy every next gen game.

Sorry nintendo, you got lame

Shadowblind
August 1st, 2009, 03:24
almost every single console has been driven by its software and not hardware

theres plenty of examples of super beefy hardware with dirt software not making it

so this article is kinda like saying "the sky is blue" well no DUH

:confused:Nintendo changed the game bro. There are things much more powerful then software for selling consoles nowadayz.

osgeld
August 1st, 2009, 07:11
since when has Nintendo changed the game, their first party lienup has not changed since 1986

all they did is take a 1993 pc controller and market as new with the exact same gameplay innovations they touted in 1995

yea Nintendo, creativity copyrighted in 1984 and still milking it today to fanboi's world wide

congratulations Nintendo, you have marketed the same crap for 20 + years

:rofl:

they are headed for an apple realization, i give Nintendo 1 more console generations before they are a 3rd party developer just like every single one else that started in the same timeframe

nevermind the whole wiimote controller can be replicated with about 10$ worth of hardware