View Full Version : SAHLI

DCEmu_Newsposter
June 15th, 2004, 20:50
This isnt pure Dreamcast news but it does have Dreamcast interest and its very intrigueing news at that, heres the news from an old pal of mine and LyonHrts:[br][br]News from the Rockin-B:[br][br]I released a snapshot of a long term project currently going under the name SAHLI - SAturn High Level Interpreter.[br]It's a simple TicTacToe demo created with SAHLI in about half of an hour. The snapshot runs on MacOS X, you may need the SDL pakage.[br]All game creation capabilities are disabled and the TicTacToe demo uses only a small portion of the functionality of SAHLI. [br][br]So what is SAHLI?[br][br]A complete console game development environment for classic consoles. The key fact is that it runs on the target console itself! For this, it has got some sort of own programming language, a powerful editor, which is ASCII based for good reasons. [br]It's initially targeted to enable you to make simple 2D games with it. With just less then 20 built in modules, it is already capable to create most of the games I want it to. [br]SAHLI is portable. It's main target platform is the SEGA Saturn, of course. But the current development is done on MacOS X using SDL and so it potentially runs on all computer systems that got a SDL port. This includes consoles like the GP32, Dreamcast and maybe others. [br]The games created with it are very small. The TicTacToe game, for example, is exactly 339 bytes small(the sprites are not included). [br]The SAHLI games will run on all platforms supported by SAHLI. This means you can create a game using SAHLI on your SEGA Saturn or your iBook, for example, and run it on your Windows or Linux PC or even Dreamcast without any change. [br]By creating an application with it, you define a new module in addition to the built in modules. Just like those, your app can be instantiated as a node in other apps. And so on. This creates a hierarchy and eases reusing and speeds up game creation. [br][br]As i said its very interesting, more info downloads etc here --> http://www.rockin-b.de/

WHurricane16
June 16th, 2004, 00:55
Rockin-B is at it again. I'm surprised this hasn't received more fanfare yet. Something to keep your eye on ;)

wraggster
June 16th, 2004, 00:59
I always watch the Rockin -B s SIte :)

Christuserloeser
June 16th, 2004, 06:53
This rocks! ;D Thank you Rockin-B

Sounds really like a big thing for our scene and the Saturn scene 8)

Chris