PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting Windows 7 for free?

DPyro
August 6th, 2009, 07:14
I am! :D

Windows 7 Professional will be available on MSDNAA through ELMS on August 15th, 2009 ;)

VampDude
August 6th, 2009, 13:54
Nope, I rushed into Vista when it had little to no driver support... Which I learnt not to rush into the latest operating system, though I've downloaded two versions of Windows 7.

BlueCrab
August 6th, 2009, 15:38
Once it shows up on MSDN, I'll download it (assuming my MSDN subscription is still valid).

Whether I use it or not remains to be seen, but I somewhat doubt it'll get any immediate use.

EDIT: Supposably it should show up in my MSDN subscription today, so time shall tell.

DPyro
August 6th, 2009, 17:01
Nope, I rushed into Vista when it had little to no driver support... Which I learnt not to rush into the latest operating system, though I've downloaded two versions of Windows 7.

Well your in luck. Windows 7 is based off of Vista so anything Vista supports, Windows 7 supports. Windows 7 also has a Windows XP compatibility mode that works way better than Vista. It would definitely be worth the upgrade :cool:

Shrygue
August 6th, 2009, 20:42
OMG Windows 7 for free? I want, just I haven't a MSDN subscription though.

DPyro
August 6th, 2009, 20:52
If you goto high school or university, ask the system admin if you can get it from MSDNAA.

VampDude
August 7th, 2009, 01:08
Well your in luck. Windows 7 is based off of Vista so anything Vista supports, Windows 7 supports. Windows 7 also has a Windows XP compatibility mode that works way better than Vista. It would definitely be worth the upgrade :cool:

Windows 7 will be worth looking into, maybe to dual-up on my laptop and then lose Vista. :cool:

The XP compatibility on Vista is horrible, Vista killed my MP3 player because ZEN didn't release a compatible Vista driver. So that is one good reason to upgrade.

ICE
August 7th, 2009, 02:04
Ah Windows 7.. The first Windows to be on par with XP in terms of raw speed.. in beta.. without bloatware.. I'll stick with XP thanks lol. Anyone remember how fast Vista was in beta without all the preinstalled crap?

quzar
August 7th, 2009, 05:07
What preinstalled crap? As to driver compatability, Windows 7 will gladly accept XP or Vista drivers (although if it's the x64 version the drivers must have been for XP x64 or Vista x64). For program compatability, not only does it have a funky XP wrapper mode deal, but you can run most any program natively.

Similar to XP's compatability settings, you can set compatability parameters, but this time around its not a matter of guessing what might work. If a program crashes on first run, win7 will ask you if it did crash and if it can try to solve the problem, autoscan the crash data as well as the program binary and either look to an online database for a solution that has worked for someone else or reccomend solutions that it thinks are good. Every time you get settings right and tell it that its compatability settings were right it goes into said online database to improve the experience for everyone.

That being said, I've been using Win7 rc1 for the past two plusish months and have enjoyed it throughly.

Eviltaco64
August 7th, 2009, 05:23
I feel like getting it for my PC, but I'd have to clear out a good amount of space before I could install it.

I've heard that when it comes to compatibility and speed, it kills Vista. So, it'll probably be my next OS. :)

mike_jmg
August 7th, 2009, 06:22
still not sure, I'm sticking with winXP as long as I can

BlueCrab
August 7th, 2009, 15:14
So, I've gotten Win7 RTM from MSDN but still haven't installed it.

I probably won't for a while, if ever.

ICE
August 7th, 2009, 16:53
What preinstalled crap?

Seriously?

quzar
August 7th, 2009, 18:23
Seriously?

Yes seriously. Unless you're talking about buying a name-brand machine with Win7 installed on it (which doesn't apply at all the free version) I really don't know what preinstalled crap you're talking about. This has everything the full version off a store shelf will have, all people's experiences are (well, hopefully) after having installed all their drivers and whatnot.

What preinstalled crap?

Shrygue
August 8th, 2009, 00:26
As far as I've seen in the RC beta, there's no preinstalled rubbish. Well, except maybe Internet Explorer but that's no biggie, the UK and European Windows 7 Ultimate E final retail version lised on Amazon won't come with IE packaged which is ace.

VampDude
August 9th, 2009, 14:29
IE has been with every build of Windows since 1995, the CD version of Windows 95.

Microsoft not including it this time must be down to that case quite a while back, I would like to see FireFox bundled with Windows 7. :cool: ...Though that won't happen(?). :(

JessicaD
August 10th, 2009, 15:09
Shrygue,

Windows 7 E will not be released as planned. "In the wake of last week's developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I'm pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world.

One reason we decided not to ship Windows 7 E is concerns raised by computer manufacturers and partners. Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 E. Computer manufacturers and our partners also warned that introducing Windows 7 E, only to later replace it with a version of Windows 7 that includes IE, could confuse consumers about what version of Windows to buy with their PCs."

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Shrygue
August 10th, 2009, 21:48
LOL, you think I'm gonna believe that? Amazon UK still lists Windows 7 E Ultimate for £170 and nowhere else as far as I see says anything on the subject.

(Seems like a spambot to me, anyone here agree?)

DPyro
August 10th, 2009, 23:47
No, seems like someone from Microsoft ;)

PLZKLLME0080
August 13th, 2009, 05:27
I'm not gonna get it at all, unless I get a new computer. I'm gonna stick with what I got, which works just the way I want it.

pibs
August 13th, 2009, 08:37
If you goto high school or university, ask the system admin if you can get it from MSDNAA.

Ima give that a try, thanks for the heads up :thumbup: