PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Scene Website News and More

DCEmu_Newsposter
June 7th, 2004, 19:05
Freeze posted this news over at dcemulations forums, its important enough for me to post here too, heres his news:[br][br] [b]Dreamcast Demo Disc #01This project is far away from death. Although we didn't say anything about this disc in the last month, we're currently working on it. A good programmer works on a new menu system, even he has only few sparetime left. The content is already set but people are trying hard to fix some bugs in their programs. [br][br]I can't give you an exact release-date cause I don't want to disapoint people again. I don't want to build-up wrong hopes on promises we can't keep due higher problems. [br][br]Still, the CD will be produced 2.000 times and give away for free with every Dreamcast order at Lik-Sang. This makes sure that only Dreamcast users will get their hands on the DDD#01 and won't land at PS2 gamers for example. [br][br]What we still need: Unfortunately I found out that I'm absolutly a moron concerning good looking 2D menus. If someone can give me a hand, please send me PM or an email. [br][br][br][b]GP32-DC link cableThis project is currently holded. It's not canceled, we have a prototype here but it's damn slow and does not satisfy our claims. We have our men who experiment in all their sparetime with a faster link cable. Once we have a new prototype which is fast enough for our claims, we'll produce a couple of cables in a (professional) factory and it will be sold at Lik-Sang as well. Still we have no release-date. I want to excause myself for all the promises we've done and nothing happend. [br][br][br][b]Dreamcast-Scene website[br]The news are damn old, I know. The problem is, we were cheated and have no money. But to start from the beginning: When we last news were written we planed a LOT to make a new website which is much bigger, does have a lot more interesting technical features (PHP system, posting and editing our own articles, polls, etc.) and stuff. We already have a guy who can do all this stuff, except for the killer-webdesign. We had contacts to a guy who wanted to make a cool design and he promised us a lot. We were fascinated about his portfolio and what he wanted to do. After a while, silence appeared. What happend? We don't know, but the fact is, he won't reply any email, hasn't done anything yet and we're standing in the middle of nowhere with nothing in our hands, an old website and nothing is done yet. [br][br]Discuss this in the comments ;)

LyonHrt
June 8th, 2004, 12:04
I personally was never a big fan, maybe cause they started off as a petition site (found out pretty early that they hardly work, even though i got involved in a few).
Then suddenly they changed, and hyped up serveral things (which are mentioned) which have failed to materalise.

Now i don't doubt them, but i'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people out there, and i'm sure they're reputation is at stake as well if they don't archive what they said.

MetaFox
June 8th, 2004, 12:33
I personally was never a big fan, maybe cause they started off as a petition site (found out pretty early that they hardly work, even though i got involved in a few).DC-Petition's petitions actually did work though. If it weren't for DC-Petition.com, Border Down would never have been released on the Dreamcast.

Then suddenly they changed, and hyped up serveral things (which are mentioned) which have failed to materalise.So have I. Even more so, actually. I've finally learned my lesson though - hype is bad. You can never live up to hype. From now on, I'm keeping my big yapper shut. I'm sure Freeze has learned the same thing.

Now i don't doubt them, but i'm sure there will be a lot of disappointed people out there, and i'm sure they're reputation is at stake as well if they don't archive what they said.I've had discussions with Freeze, Law, and Suzanne from Lik-Sang. Dreamcast-scene.com is on the up-and-up. They've just had problems realizing their goals, as have I. We all learn from our mistakes. If you release what you've planned (no matter how long after originally intended), learn from your mistakes, and become a better person, what else can anyone ask?

LyonHrt
June 8th, 2004, 13:40
Well thats fair enough, i just thought i'd be honest with my thoughts :)
And i didn't realise borderdown was released cause of that (ironcially the only petition i never got involved with!)

Anyway yeah hype can be a bad thing, i hate hyping things, it just cause's more pressure, maybe hype what you've already done, and keep the rest secret until the release.

I think the recent e3 sega announcement really sums up what over hype can cause. (ok no more mention of hype!)

vipor231
June 8th, 2004, 14:50
oh jeeez that was a major let down for sega.they cannot afford to be letting people down anymore thats for sure.

curt_grymala
June 8th, 2004, 15:52
Anyway yeah hype can be a bad thing, i hate hyping things, it just cause's more pressure, maybe hype what you've already done, and keep the rest secret until the release.

Hype can also be a good thing, though. Were it not for all the hype we generated for SBInducer v4, it probably would not have been finished. burnerO basically said the only reason he finished it when he did was because of all the pressure I laid on him by newsposting the imminent release.

Christuserloeser
June 8th, 2004, 16:07
Yeah you can work really hard to fulfill the hype :) and sometimes it helps but most time a hype is a bad thing, I agree with that.

I love the Dreamcast-Scene for Border Down. Beside that it's the only German Dreamcast website :P
The last month it was really strange, as it seemed to be abondoned but I spoke with Max recently as I knew he didn't gave up and he had lots of plans for it, some mentioned above.

Here's what law (DCS) wrote today in reply of Max's post over at DCS:

- I´m in touch with nigel brown and several other gp32 developers regarding the dreamcast <-> gp32 linkcable
- Waiting for Max to come up with a webguy *
- Ready to put up lots of nice stuff on the new page with basic dreamcast tutorials
- Planning on organizing a European Dreamcast ( maybe along with gp32 ) convention in Aachen ( Aix-la-Chapelle ) in Germany
- Helping Max out with whatever he needs and i can deliver

Lots of other ppl offered help too and the lost graphix guy is also back on track so things look very good...

Edit: Ah, yes: and the delay of the DDD#1 has some good points, some very good points that will be really worth to wait for ;D

Chris