PDA

View Full Version : v2.7 Firmware Faq

wraggster
April 26th, 2006, 01:08
Fanjita (http://www.fanjita.org/) has posted a Faq of info about the new firmware released, you will have already read most facts on this site, some even before the official release, heres the Faq:

Most people are now aware that the v2.7 firmware has been released by Sony. We've been getting a lot of questions about it, so here's a quick FAQ:
Homebrew does not work on v2.7. The GTA exploit is thoroughly patched, and the TIFF exploit is still patched. If you like homebrew, DO NOT UPGRADE.
We have no idea when homebrew will be available on v2.7. We need a whole new exploit, which could take some time. In our opinion (shared with EdisonCarter) there is no future for the GTA exploit on v2.7.
LocoRoco is an encrypted, signed EBOOT. The only way to run homebrew in the same way is to get Sony's encryption key and sign the homebrew. That's not going to be possible in our lifetime.
There could well be an exploit to be found in all the new function, e.g. flash player, AAC support, etc. We're not actively working on one.
There might be an exploit to be found in another game. We're not actively working on one.
There's no truth in the rumour that v2.7 has made us angry, and that we're going to work on an ISO loader as revenge.
The LocoRoco demo REQUIRES v2.70, even if you hack the PARAM.SFO in the EBOOT. It's pretty cool, but there's homebrew that's cooler.
Once again, the most important point: If you don't think that slow support for an old version of Macromedia Flash, and support for the very latest games, is worth trading for homebrew for the next few months - then DO NOT UPGRADE.

andrewgabriel77
April 26th, 2006, 01:27
I'm just curious...but has anybody tried using something like pbp explorer to replace the unkown.psp file with a homebrew's unkown.psp? I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway ;o)

andrewgabriel77
April 26th, 2006, 01:29
on the new downloadable game Loco Roco i mean...sry

Voltron
April 26th, 2006, 01:49
I can't agree more - DON'T UPGRADE!

Maybe Sony will see that very few people are bothering to download the upgrade and speed up development on features that might be worth an upgrade.

MikeDX
April 26th, 2006, 02:01
In reality - even if every single person who uses homebrew does not upgrade, it will not even make a dip in the ocean. For every person who uses homebrew (even on fw up to 2.6) there are 10,000 or maybe more users who have never even heard of eboot loaders, iso loaders, emulators, etc. Stop fooling yourselves :)

Now where did I leave my pipe and slippers....

smoky
April 26th, 2006, 02:14
i got a question... is going on the internet on v2.6 on the psp making it upgrade?.. cuz i want to go to the internet right now but im scared as **** to go on fearing it might upgrade and ill lose all my homebrew...

urherenow
April 26th, 2006, 02:27
Not a chance. You have to use the network upgrade option for that. Also, the upgrade will have to be downloaded, which takes a few minutes on the PSP. You'd have to be a totally retarded person to not notice that. Also, the procedure is so dangerous that it will never start automatically. It has to show you the warnings and make sure your battery is charged and/or plugged in and you have to press the confirmation button for the upgrade to begin. No... you have nothing to worry about surfing the 'net.

Oh... and not to be a smarta$$ (ok, maybe just a little :P ) but isn't it it kind of redundant or something to say you want to go on the internet right now (now, being while you're typing a reply to a forum... ON THE INTERNET) lol :rolleyes:

dkjr83
April 26th, 2006, 03:12
Mmm.. as long as Monster Hunter Freedom doesn't require 2.7.... But of course it will, because if not that would just make things too easy.

Wally
April 26th, 2006, 04:15
I was thinking MP3 exploit..

because apparently some MP3 files can hold code in the ID3 tags.

Who knows if this will work or not.

BALL_SAC
April 26th, 2006, 05:32
There has to be an exploit in the macromedia flash... there has to be a way to crack this, but im still going to stick with 2.6

Poem58
April 26th, 2006, 07:09
I'm staying with 1.5 until Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception comes out..I loved Air Force Delta (DC)..since I have advance wars DS I can hold off on field commander until then....but I am curious, anyone know what the "new mp4 file extension" is..my guess is they sneak in .m4a support so you can take you ipod mp4 and just throw em in without a rename? That would be sweet.

grugscar
April 26th, 2006, 07:24
Sony can go **** themselves with thei 2.7... I'll never upgrade ever again.

geise69
April 26th, 2006, 14:34
Sony can go **** themselves with thei 2.7... I'll never upgrade ever again.

I understand people not wanting to upgrade, but you all are going to be missing out on some really good games. The game library on the psp has been pretty sad for it's first year, but now there's a good deal of really promising titles coming out, and I do feel it's going to get better. I upgraded my 1.0 psp to 1.5 and I eventually just said screw it and upgraded to 2.5 when Ys and SFA3Max came out. It was well worth it and I don't regret it one bit. I have always loved playing nes, snes, and genesis/md games I grew up with on my psp, but getting original games to work was just a hassle. Why wait 4 months or more down the road when you can just go out and buy the game when it's released, and not have to worry about "hmm i hope this works on my psp...damn it doesn't! I hate sony! FU Sony!" It just got tiring to me. Not far down the road in Fall 3.0 is going to come out. Then what will everyone do? Keep playing emulators on their psp? If that's all you got it for great. There's just less emulation getting released now and I feel there's less interest from coders. Now if it's apps that everyone likes then the homebrew scene is still going to be great. For me and emulation on the psp I'm kinda done with it. It's just my opinion. I upgraded to 2.7 and I love the speed on the web browser now, and the demo of Loco Roco was (to me) well worth upgrading.

Voltron
April 26th, 2006, 16:01
Not far down the road in Fall 3.0 is going to come out. Then what will everyone do? Keep playing emulators on their psp? If that's all you got it for great. There's just less emulation getting released now and I feel there's less interest from coders.

There is a point there. I have been holding out for as long as I can by sticking with 1.5. I do fear that some of the great contributors to the scene may lose interest but I hope the PSP keeps sparking excitement for the scene like it has. Because Sony is coming out with a new hardware revision to the PSP eventually, this current PSP should be kept at homebrew capable firmwares. The NEW version PSP can be used for UMD games & Sony's PS1 Emulator.

Qmark
April 26th, 2006, 16:45
Because Sony is coming out with a new hardware revision to the PSP eventually, this current PSP should be kept at homebrew capable firmwares.This is the better idea. There's no reason to castrate a perfectly fine 1.0 or 1.5 psp only to have a PSP-mini or something show up a few months later.

I'm waiting on a significant pricedrop or the inevitable harware revision, and then buying a second PSP. Hopefully the quality control on the LCD will be better by then. Hell, there'll be a great selection of back-catalog games and $5 clearance UMD movies around that time as well.

The NEW version PSP can be used for UMD games & Sony's PS1 Emulator.I'm fairly certain they expect to do that with current hardware, give or take a 1 or 2 gig MSPD and an even more draconian firmware deathgrip.

RedKing14CA
April 26th, 2006, 19:29
I understand people not wanting to upgrade, but you all are going to be missing out on some really good games. The game library on the psp has been pretty sad for it's first year, but now there's a good deal of really promising titles coming out, and I do feel it's going to get better. I upgraded my 1.0 psp to 1.5 and I eventually just said screw it and upgraded to 2.5 when Ys and SFA3Max came out. It was well worth it and I don't regret it one bit. I have always loved playing nes, snes, and genesis/md games I grew up with on my psp, but getting original games to work was just a hassle. Why wait 4 months or more down the road when you can just go out and buy the game when it's released, and not have to worry about "hmm i hope this works on my psp...damn it doesn't! I hate sony! FU Sony!" It just got tiring to me. Not far down the road in Fall 3.0 is going to come out. Then what will everyone do? Keep playing emulators on their psp? If that's all you got it for great. There's just less emulation getting released now and I feel there's less interest from coders. Now if it's apps that everyone likes then the homebrew scene is still going to be great. For me and emulation on the psp I'm kinda done with it. It's just my opinion. I upgraded to 2.7 and I love the speed on the web browser now, and the demo of Loco Roco was (to me) well worth upgrading.

Interesting my PSP firmware says "1.5" and im playing Untold Legends 2, and DBZ Shin Budokai, and my emulators.. hmmmm

geise69
April 26th, 2006, 20:00
Yeah but that's just a couple of games. also are you able to save in untold legends 2? All 2.5 firmware games can't save on 1.5 firmware. Every UMD and ISO that's out there can be played but not saved. So what's the point in playing an rpg or game that has unlockables when you can't save. I'm glad you're able to do all that on your psp though.

benh
April 26th, 2006, 21:07
i upgraded to 2.70 and i do not regret it one tiny little incy bit the flash player is just exelent, the playable demos alone was well worth updating and also the UMD L and R buttons skip chapter is the easist way to skip chapters while watching videos
I think this is the best update scince 2.00 and do not regrete upgradeing and i hope that they will release some more downloadable demos

just love the update

mog
April 26th, 2006, 21:25
Well, i've survived so far with there only being like 50 old (mostly lame) umd games that work on my 1.00 but you are right, and FF7:CC will be atleast fw2.7 or higher when that's released. :(
I won't be able to hold out very long once that game is out!
So I will either have to:
a) update (stupid)
b) sell 1.00 psp for more than i paid for it & buy new psp for less (better!)
c) just buy another psp.

The way I see it, at the moment I have paid 200 quid for a sweet piece of portable, fast, good lookin hardware that i can code for in C.
That is definitely a good buy in itself. :cool:

Therefore, if there are good games on the PSP, and if it is really worth paying the price of a new psp, only to play those games without any homebrew capability... Then I should buy a new PSP, just as if it were a completely different console!
So I'm gonna get another one. :p

geise69
April 26th, 2006, 23:39
Yeah I agree. When I got mine at the japanese launch and played ridge racers I knew it was worth the 350 I paid for it. When Hello World and then the first game boy emulator came out I knew it was really well worth the money. I enjoyed pretty much a full year of emulation/homebrew on my psp. It was great. Now this year I can enjoy some really awesome UMD games. The new games coming out is worth the upgrade IMO. It is easier for me to say though since I also own a GP2X.

benisjamin
April 27th, 2006, 00:45
I've still got v1.5, what is the best version to upgrade to while still being able to use homebrew? I'm not at all concerned about any new games.

Wally
April 27th, 2006, 00:50
No doubt 3.00 will be hackable.

We have hacked all x.00 firmwares so far right?

cartmandude14
April 27th, 2006, 03:36
sum1 will make a runumd type thing for 2.6 to run 2.7 umds.....trust me

cartmandude14
April 27th, 2006, 03:36
I've still got v1.5, what is the best version to upgrade to while still being able to use homebrew? I'm not at all concerned about any new games.

1.5 with an mph firmwaare launcher.

stotheamuel
April 27th, 2006, 03:46
jeese ive been missing out these few days with no internet... but i hope a new exploit will come out... but dont we all?

b8a
April 27th, 2006, 11:25
I hope the new firmwares will eventually be cracked, but I think it'd be best for the homebrew community if anyone who may discover any exploits between now and the end of the year to keep those exploits to themselves until after the beginning of 2007. I know that a lot of people are going to disagree with me about this, but, as many people have noticed, Sony clearly doesn't support any form of homebrew on the PSP, and it's really annoying that the homebrew exploit developers are essentially working for Sony for free, uncovering all of the security flaws so that all Sony has to do is patch those holes. Sony's profits increase, but homebrewers loose their hobby.

Take a look at the firmware release schedule for this year, my guess is that Sony is gearing up for a heavily fortified, locked-down firmware before they release Gran Turismo and the PS3. I mean, Gran Tursimo was announced well over two years ago, surely it's been ready for a while now. My guess is that they're betting on it being as big of a success for the PSP as it was for the PS and the PS2, and they don't want to loose even a penny of that cash cow's potential success to pirated copies. That would explain why there were two intermediate updates scheduled (this newest one and one more in the fall), so that enought time will be given for any potential exploits available through the new features to be discovered and subsequently plugged up before the "big" firmware release at the end of the year, which will no doubt, be required to run Gran Turismo. If there are any security holes in the firmwares that are released between now and then, I'd rather Sony not know about them until after the PS3 and Gran Turismo are on the shelves. GT alone is going to be a huge temptation to upgrade, but the PS3 compatibility features are probably going to make it inticing as well, and if Sony manages to completely close all doors to homebrew, it's going to be a real tough decision for a lot of people whether to upgrade or not.

I don't expect anyone to keep new exploits under wraps forever, but at least let Sony release their major PSP features and games first, so they don't have the benefit of your insights to try and block homebrew alongside the real features.

geise69
April 27th, 2006, 12:44
b8a. I'm in total agreement with you. Personally I don't think we should try anything until the supposed 3.0 firmware comes out. Even then it would probably be beneficial to still wait a little bit. All this waiting to have the best of both is just rediculous though. Mainly cause you pay for a system to play games, but are forced to wait till some hack comes along (if it comes along) to play an original UMD game. Also like you said with when the ps3 comes along and the compatability features are put into the new firmware, it's just going to make the scene even smaller by having people upgrade. Well time will tell. For the mean time everyone enjoy the homebrew while it lasts. It could still be around as long as the psp is, we'll just have to wait and see. Every firmware has been cracked so far. If we wait till 3.0 comes out there's sure to be something. Especially if there's a hell of a lot of changes. Something is bound to open a door somewhere

mog
April 28th, 2006, 02:32
b8a, thats definitly good advice. I recon that should become some kind of homebrew community law or something.
We don't really need to crack 2.7, theres nothing special about it yet, and im sure we can hold out with what we have at the moment until 3.0 is out.

If I ever find anything in a firmware, im not going to say anything until 3.0 is out, not that it's in anyway likely to happen... (or have I already found a security hole lol). :p
Now it's got me wondering, what if other people are thinking like this and have already found some major hole in 2.7 or even all the firmware's, but are just waiting for the right time! :eek:

Shadowblind
April 28th, 2006, 05:03
2.7 has many more patches then any of the other versions, so it'll be a he** of a lot harder to make homebrew for it

stotheamuel
April 28th, 2006, 06:04
hmm i say we make a virus....

and release it as "firmware 2.7 cracked"

and let the sony *******s download it.... saying "no way, not possible"

muhahaha

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 07:55
id say even if a new 2.7 crack was realesed and exploit ewas found and pached..it would never change the fact that a firmware needs to be APEALING to the people CRACKING IT ...lets face it staying at 2.6 and keeping homebrew is WAY better that loosing it..over flash??? patients young padawon...lol...i think that 3.0 will present INSENTIVE for all the coders and programers its always been just one thing....IF WE WILL to do it....and how many want to acheive a common goal...3.0 will be a team effort and a real spark in the psp hb scene! if you DOWNGRADE to 2.7..lol..for flash...your crazy....and not very patient to boot.....lol when features that are worthy of EXPLOITS come out then we will see the hacking return in the wave that we are use to...just like it was all new....all over again equal and oppisite..there are 2 sides too the coin were just waiting on the FLIP it !!! hehehe this is directly copy and paste from FAJITA'S OWN WORDS AT HIS SITE:

"Once again, the most important point: If you don't think that slow support for an old version of Macromedia Flash, and support for the very latest games, is worth trading for homebrew for the next few months - then DO NOT UPGRADE."

from www.fajita.org

(or at least thats what it is for now....lol)