PDA

View Full Version : Probally Stupid But Hey An Idea

starlaugh
April 27th, 2006, 13:46
Just Curious! well the info on psp version etc is stored on a chip inside the psp! well shouldnt it be possible to get a copy of the V1.00 or V1.50 chip and replace the current one? yeah probally not that simple ah well! i will carry on dreaming....... :D

vettacossx
April 27th, 2006, 16:19
acyually it is POSSIBLE,but its not an EASY task by ant means and if you have a 1.0 or 1.5 chip then you HAVEor HAD a 1.5 psp.....why bother if you own that version..
EVEN if it were a broken psp you got the chip from ....you still take the risk of bricking your psp.....keep in mind that the flash holds the firmeware band screwing with the flash is just about the easyest way to brick your psp!!! but i certainly would not say any idea is STUPID....an idea is just a conceptul thought....but i would say it may not be a good idea to play with the hardware ....it could cost a few consoles...

Psilocybeing
April 27th, 2006, 16:38
I think I recall a thread way back when, in the days of yore that someone actually read the contents of the flash chip directly, instead of through the PSP. I'll see if I can find the thread.

kyle2194
April 27th, 2006, 21:30
Can someone tell me why we cant just open up our psp, a write to the flash using a rom write / reader? Im a bit curious.

John Vattic
April 29th, 2006, 16:29
Write to your own damn flash! just drop your psp in the bathtub and get it over with!

Zion
May 3rd, 2006, 23:28
It would be great. Can you by a 1.5 chip. The only reason i would want to downgrade to 1.5 is for the full choice of homebrew. Unfortunaltly Smashgsp doesnt work on 2.6. I also believe the N64 emulators could work better on v1.5 because of Kernal access.

BrooksyX
May 3rd, 2006, 23:31
yeah it would pretty fricken hard to remove the flash chip and put on a new one.

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 00:06
I imagine so. Is it soldered on or just clipped in?

BrooksyX
May 4th, 2006, 00:36
try like super solderd

jman420
May 5th, 2006, 22:49
its solder dipped, the chip is soldered to the board from above, which means you would have to use a solder wick to get the solder off without trying to melt all 200 pins at the same time..

the key issue would be not overheating the chip as your trying to melt the solder.. its possible to remove the chip, and throw another in there, but its about the hardest soldering job you can think of, because if you leave a soldering iron on the pins for more then about 20 seconds at a time, you will melt the silicon transistors inside, and totaly fudge your chip up intirely.. and then its also possible to wreck a circut board doing the same thing..

quzar
May 6th, 2006, 16:11
The following is afair and my memory is very poor, so if anyone knows it to be false for a fact, please correct me: The chip with the firmware on it isn't just a flash chip it is a microchip of its own with ram contained within it. It is impossible to read to/from it or to simply piggyback a second chip because of this. (unless the other chip had been removed from another psp, defeating the purpose)