PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo takes piss with final Rev name

wraggster
April 27th, 2006, 20:26
Well, the Revolution is no more it seems. Nintendo has finally revealed the name of its next-gen console and - drum roll, please - it's "Wii". Or possibly the Nintendo Wii - we're not entirely sure. And yes, it's pronounced "wee".

If it wasn't for the fact that we just recieved official confirmation from Nintendo itself - along with a brand new video demonstrating the console's final logo - we'd probably think the whole thing was a joke.

So, while you sit there in dumbfounded belief - contemplating whether you'll still be desperate for a Wii in the corner of your room come November - why not check out the video and read the tiny bit of explanatory gumph that arrived alongside the press release.

All we've left to say really is that we're looking forward to waving our Wii wands around at this year's E3.

Introducing ... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it's really not about you or me.

It's about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=138673

ziggy
April 28th, 2006, 07:29
You guys from the english speaking communitiy pronounce the "i" differently than we would here in Germany. Wouldn't the name (phonetically speaking) be pronounced "why"?

burnsy123456
April 28th, 2006, 11:51
I think that, in the uk, this name is an absolute disaster for nintendo.
to explain to everyone non-british out there, in the uk 'wee' is the most commonly used slang for urinating. it is used many times dailly by everyone in the country inc england scotland wales and all of ireland.
its also just about the only slang term that children are allowed to use.
its used in excactly the same way as the word 'pee' is in the usa.
so as an example to americans- the nintendo pee?
hilarious yes, and we feel excactly the same about the nintendo wee.
to be even having this discussion shows just how truly awful this name is.
its not only ammunition for all the sony and xbox fanboys, but i genuinely think that a lot of the british 'non-gamers' out there (who nintendo are aiming this at) will NOT i repeat NOT go into a shop and ask for a nintendo wee.
i myself was excited about the revolution, the first time i have been excited by a console in years, but i am now absolutly dreading going into a shop and asking for one, let alone what everyone, not just sony and xbox boys but EVERYONE will say when i say i have a 'wee'. and when i say everyone i mean my friends my work mates. even my gran will laugh.
i dread to think how the british national newspaper and tv press(already sony and xbox biased) are gonna slaughter nintendo for this one.

Shadowblind
April 28th, 2006, 12:24
simply amazing. as if game cube wasnt bad enough.

Darksaviour69
April 28th, 2006, 14:45
Mario Wii Pic!!

grin.ch
April 28th, 2006, 16:17
gamecube was a joke! it sucked! The nintendo Wii is a stupid name, but it is really sleek and looks great! Nintendo might actually make some adult games for a change. I do say that loosely as they did support RE4, but mostly they make kid's games.

philr359
April 28th, 2006, 21:01
cant they do something right for a change...?
Satoru Iwata should just go on live tv and humiliate himself, it will save some of the pain he's gonna get from this one.

i love Nintendo and the Revolution, but how can they expect to be taken seriously with a name like that?

honestly,
can anyone say that they're a proud owner of the Nintendo 'Wii'??
Revolution is the perfect name to describe how awsome the system is going to be... names aren't everything but c'mon...

i always defend the rev against the constant "Nintendo Sucks, its too kidy, ps3 is gonna be so much better" i get at school:(
but now they're just breaking my balls with this :mad:

Shilo
April 28th, 2006, 22:12
cant they do something right for a change...?
Satoru Iwata should just go on live tv and humiliate himself, it will save some of the pain he's gonna get from this one.

i love Nintendo and the Revolution, but how can they expect to be taken seriously with a name like that?

honestly,
can anyone say that they're a proud owner of the Nintendo 'Wii'??
Revolution is the perfect name to describe how awsome the system is going to be... names aren't everything but c'mon...

i always defend the rev against the constant "Nintendo Sucks, its too kidy, ps3 is gonna be so much better" i get at school:(
but now they're just breaking my balls with this :mad:

I'll be a proud owner of the Nintendo Wii this coming Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I got a Nintendo Wii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and run around in circles:D

BTW to all the people who are who thinks the Gamecube sucks.............................. SHUT UP :mad: THE GAMECUBE IS A GREAT SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stotheamuel
April 28th, 2006, 23:46
When 64 was out.. it was nearly as adult as ps1... Gamecube was definatley intended for kids... and... so will this. The whole wii-we analogy is kiddish. I mean come on 360... full circle.. thats alright.. but wii?... i say they would be better off with revolution

GaMeR_2000
May 7th, 2006, 18:33
... and... so will this.
Ever heard of games coming out for it like Red Steel, Tony Hawk: Downhill Jam, Metroid Prime 3, Blitz, etc.
THOSE ARE NOT FOR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zherae
May 7th, 2006, 21:13
It's a bizarre name that's for sure. We'll see how ridiculous it sounds at E3.

V3N0M
May 7th, 2006, 21:57
Nintendo is always the first to take a chance. I have always liked Nintendo and always will. They always seem to do the impossible and come walking out fine. Nintendo may seem kidish but thats not entirely true there are people that love Super Mario and still do even in College, High school, and even adults like Nintendo for what it is Nintendo. Now the Wii thing- I woulden't be susprised to get your attention like it is doing on this thread. I think when it releases it will be Revolution not Wii or Wii just might be their slogan.

GaMeR_2000
May 8th, 2006, 02:16
Rock on JmanUmmKay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111oneoneoneone

metalspector
May 8th, 2006, 02:29
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *going down a slide* wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *screaming in a roller coaster* wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *saved alot of money by switching my car insurance to Geico* booooooooooooo *playing the nintendo wii and I then wii myself of the humiliation of playing the worst console ever*

GaMeR_2000
May 8th, 2006, 02:32
Dear Metalspector,
Could you please explain why you think the Wii is bad so I can prove you wrong in depth?