PDA

View Full Version : If Sony Released More Game Demos Would You Sacrifice Homebrew ?

wraggster
April 28th, 2006, 01:05
Sony are one crafty company, the release of the Homebrew killing v2.70 firmware concided with the demo of Loco Roco, now this brings the question would you leave homebrew behind if Sony were to bring out Demos of all their Upcoming and Present Commercial Games ?

Should be interesting to see what people say

Cooe14
April 28th, 2006, 01:29
Heck No!

Atien
April 28th, 2006, 01:40
Not at all, in fact I only bought my psp to make homebrew :p

Voltron
April 28th, 2006, 01:41
ummm let me think...... NOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm glad this issue has come up because I have been hearing a lot of buzz about game demo's requiring 2.7 firmware.

They are DEMOS - Sure it might be cool to try out some really promising up and coming titles. But the temporary enjoyment in a DEMO does not compare to the almost limitless and promising homebrew.

If you look at this way... PSP Homebrew is still relatively young and immature. People are still learning more about the PSP and finding new ways to make great homebrew. A lot of really promising stuff like SNESTYL, PSPSOne, Monkey64, and much more is still a work in progress. I truly think that if enough people stay dedicated, the PSP Scene can grow to be 2-3 more times as great as it is already.

I have been close to saying "screw it" and upgrading a few times but the one thing that stays true and consistent is that TIME is on our side. I recently felt the joy of playing Lemmings, Worms, & Siphon Filter on my 1.5 PSP. Not too long ago I thought it would never be possible.

Well, this post is getting way too long. I just urge everyone to hunt down a 1.50-2.0 PSP and DON'T UPGRADE. Its not worth it. Hold out for the PSP2 to come out with the built-in 4GB of storage & whatever else. If the PSP2 is going to use UMD's then it will almost surely be 100% backward-compatible with current UMD games.

mog
April 28th, 2006, 01:58
Nope. :p
I would just be more likely to buy a second psp if they did that... but that's probably not good news for Sony, they don't make money on console sales do they?

Sony could try something better like selling special versions of firmwares like "2.70 pro" which allow people like us to create and use homebrew aswell, with restrictions like not being allowed make profit from the games.
I'd imagine this could sell at a high price like 200 quid or more, as it means people don't need to buy second/third psp's.
Seeing as people are gonna buy the extra psp's anyway, Sony might aswell make huge, 100% profit from it.

Gene
April 28th, 2006, 02:37
i wouldn't upgrade(although i have thought about it) not for the demo games, but for the umd videos

because i biought advent children on my psp and i have a 1.5 :( :( :( :(

YourStillWithMe
April 28th, 2006, 02:45
Why would you want to? All of the commerical games stink anyway. . . .I havent played a really cool game since GTA I work at a video store so when were done renting out the game and its not renting that much I buy them for about $7.50 cents a pop and I get to rent them for free anytime i want in the meantime. In a nutshell-I will be pleased with the 1.50-2.01 games for a while :)

I would like to play Syphon Filter and Splinter Cell but no one ever thought GTA would be playable on 1.50 and look what happened i think its just a matter of time for things to happen You just need to be patient everyone.

Cloud_35
April 28th, 2006, 02:48
Of course NO!!!!

Homebrew is just one of the reasons that make me love the comsole, almost the spirit of my buy. And believe me, not even a Crisis Core:FFVII demo will make me change my mind.

1.5 forever!!!:cool:

KingAndrew
April 28th, 2006, 02:51
I was at 2.6, ive already updated to 2.7, and the GTA exploit just wasnt worth the hassle. So yes and No. I want sony to release demos, its a great concept. But I want homebrew to work on 2.7 even more :D or a downgrader but thats unlikly

mog
April 28th, 2006, 02:55
Unlucky gene...

I really wanted to get that too.
But it seems Sony preffers us not to buy their movies if we don't flash our psp's every couple of months with a new firmware update.
Not that the movies have anything to do with needing newer firmware features... they would run just as well on 1.00 if Sony let them. sux eh? :(

pakkman781
April 28th, 2006, 02:58
No way! With over a hundred games on my PSP, through emulators and other means, I think not! I barely play commercial games any more, besides GTA through MPH's 2.00 for 1.50 loader. IMO, commercial PSP games suck for the most part, except for the occasional good title. If it wasn't for the PSP's homebrew capability, I'd take it in right now and swap it for a DS!

BoBKiD
April 28th, 2006, 03:04
NO way!

I wouldn't like to lose the ability to run all the great homebrew everyone makes, especialy emulators!

It is sad that S0ny won't let us play their newest games and UMD videos but no, I have a 1.50 PSP and I am not going to upgrage until they let us run homebrew on ALL newer firmwares. :(

Demos are not a good reason to change my mind. :o

drew4237
April 28th, 2006, 03:09
no cause the flash sucks anyways and the demos wont be very good anyways

slaphappygamer
April 28th, 2006, 03:10
nope. homebrew is why i got the psp in the first place.

shadowprophet
April 28th, 2006, 03:12
Even if the situation got that good, Which it wont.
theres still the option to get another psp.
Now i havent yet broke down and got a second psp but if it comes down to it, thats what ill do,
theres just no way im giveing up homebrew,
It doesnt matter what sony offers anymore. The homebrew comunity has proven that it can keep up.
And not only keep up, But offer more options.

No If it came to that, I suppose I would just have another psp and then i'd still have one for homebrew.

nyrtrublue
April 28th, 2006, 03:21
hmmmm lemme think thousands of games that all i need to do is download drag and drop or one a one level demo for a couple games... tough choice
i think ill stick with homebrew

John Vattic
April 28th, 2006, 04:05
I'm sure $ony is aware that you can only flash the firmware a handfull of times before the flashing won't take and you have a bricked psp.
So the fact that they are willing to destroy something you've already paid for is apalling.
basically $ony is saying **** you.
So no i would never update. ever.

Edshugeo
April 28th, 2006, 04:08
No, I wouldn't. It's bad enough I upgraded to 2.6. Now I feel like I have to keep GTA in the UMD slot, which makes me less likely to want to buy new games, firmware restrictions or not.

pkmusicmaker
April 28th, 2006, 08:02
I got stuck with a 2.01 for a while when mine broke until someone with a 1.52 agreed to trade with me. My PSP sat around doing nothing for a looooong time on 2.01. I just don't see how its worth upgrading. Not only is homebrew more fun than ALMOST every commercial game, it's also free. I'll stick with my 1.5 until something outrageous comes out, which probably won't be until PSP2 is out.

.:PSP1.0:.
April 28th, 2006, 08:35
Ahh hell no! lol :p
No but really i'm loving homebrew too much!

b8a
April 28th, 2006, 09:23
Here's a dilemna for you: if Sony released more game demos for 2.70+ games that played on <2.70 PSP's do you think that would prompt more people to upgrade?

But, sticking with the question at hand, no, I would sooner buy a whole new PSP than upgrade just for a few demos, most of which (from my experience with the PS demos), would probably be buggy and boring. Even if homebrew ever becomes stale, at the very least you can find new uses for your PSP by programming it yourself. Without that, your PSP will, almost certainly, one day become absolutely worthless.

philage
April 28th, 2006, 10:06
I will not upgrade for anything unless a downgrader becomes available. You cannot beat a 1.5 psp.

PSPCulture
April 28th, 2006, 12:55
I'm sure $ony is aware that you can only flash the firmware a handfull of times before the flashing won't take and you have a bricked psp.
So the fact that they are willing to destroy something you've already paid for is apalling.

Any idea how many times the firmware can be written to (legitamately)? Research I've done on erase cycles suggests that most flash memory can take between 10,000 and 100,000 writes before errors start to occur.

I was wondering where you'd got your information from that suggests flashing the firmware on a PSP has a very limited erase cycle?

crazy_biker420
April 28th, 2006, 13:57
in the end sony is going to have there way charging for better software that will do what some of the homebrew that we have come up with unless they are dumb or if this monkey 64 guy beats them to it

tommy12692
April 28th, 2006, 14:17
yesv definatly

grin.ch
April 28th, 2006, 15:20
I certainly would not. I love the homebrew scene. It's great to belong to something like this. If you upgrade to 2.7, you might as well just erase all of your bookmarks for DCEmu and QJ and Fanjita. Just forget the whole thing happened, like a wet dream. I've got a White PSP v1.50 - talk about rare! So, I'm not going to upgrade b/c later on, if I ever want to sell it, I can get hella cash for it.

mog
April 28th, 2006, 15:38
yesv definatlylol sarcasm? :p

That sounds bad, but i think it would take hundreds or thousands of flashing the fw before it stopped.
If I had been doing every update that has come out up to 2.7, i would have flashed my psp NINE times now...
Sony releases way too many updates in just over a year!! (13 months - 9 updates, 1.5 came out 24th March 05).

azurefog
April 28th, 2006, 15:41
Not just NO, but HELL NO :) I go my PSP yesterday (first one) after a long search for a v1.5 - I got it too!

slayer2psp
April 28th, 2006, 17:02
just have 2 psp one for 1.5 and one for all the updates thats what i did then ther is no problem i love my 1.5 but i sure do like all the extra features of the upgraded firmwares i havent upped to 2.70 and wont upgrade my 2.6 intill a game comes out that i just got to play.

shadowhawk22
April 28th, 2006, 18:26
hahahahha. Give up homebrew for a demo, lol! I wouldn't upgrade if they gave me 100 bucks and a super model. (did I just say that!) Ummm.... In an honesty, homebrew offers infinite enjoyment, and thus, some demos won't outweigh it, not even f'in close!

,Hawk

yudonomi
April 28th, 2006, 19:16
Homebrew for me means being able to play classic games from arcades and older consoles. Some of my favorite games I've purchased have been compilations of Namco and Williams games.

If Sega would come out with their best Genesis and Dreamcast games for a low price, I'd buy those. I figure Nintendo wouldn't come out with N64 games for PSP, but I'd pay for those too.

I also wouldn't have a problem paying for more direct ports of PS2 games. There are plenty of decent games on PS2 that I'd like to have on my portable gaming system.

That said, the sheer number of quality games that are playable on 1.5 will keep me from upgrading this PSP.

I think they've lost the war on this model. They'll need to make the PSP2 have enough compelling features (e.g. phone, camera, touchscreen, decent input method, IM, etc.) to entice people to purchase the next model too.

Voltron
April 28th, 2006, 21:35
Homebrew for me means being able to play classic games from arcades and older consoles.

I think they've lost the war on this model. They'll need to make the PSP2 have enough compelling features (e.g. phone, camera, touchscreen, decent input method, IM, etc.) to entice people to purchase the next model too.

Excellent post. Homebrew is not just about freebies. In fact being free is on the bottom of the positives list. Honestly I'd pay for some of the great homebrew and I have donated to a few developers.

It may sound silly but Emulation on the PSP holds a great deal of sentimental & nostalgic value. I've tried Emulators on other handhelds and pocket PC's but its not the same. The PSP allows me to preserve a big part of my past & childhood. Its sentimental because I really had an attachment to my video games as a kid. Being older I see how expensive they are and my parents really went above and beyond to let me have a lot of games for Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Game Boy, etc.

Sure Nintendo will be selling classic games for download on the Revolution and the PS3 may allow a similar service. But it won't be the same. I don't need to play Punch-Out, Excitebike, Contra, etc. etc. on a 50+ inch Widescreen TV. I like classic gaming better on the PSP.

Bottom line is that opponents of homebrew need to understand that homebrew means more to people than free games and piracy. I say it a lot that it makes no sense to upgrade and ruin the current PSP when another version of the PSP is coming out. The new version of the PSP will be probably not see as rich of a homebrew scene if any at all. Sony will probably take measures against that.

NOBODY UPGRADE AND EVERYBODY LOOK FOR A 1.50 - 2.00 PSP.

E.J.
April 28th, 2006, 22:15
NO, homebrew on the psp is one of the greatest thing i have ever known, i'm really happy playing classical games on mi psp, besides, there are really good homebrew apps and games that turn the psp in more than a simple portable game device.

Let's dream that somebody will soon find the way to decipher the digital signatures of the commercial eboots and we'll be able to run homebrew on any firmware...

nonarKitten
April 29th, 2006, 02:28
Sony could solve both problems by including a decent Java JIT Compiler for the browser. There are already some emulators written in Java - no idea how they'd run on a PSP however optimized the bytecode was...

PS: someone upgraded my PSP on me to 2.7... grrr... I so miss playing RType. It would be nice if Sony backpeddled on this one - I mean, were we really hurting PSP sales that much? Whats probably hurting sales far moreso is that poor calibre of games on the PSP right now. The vast majority are PS2 titles that are utterly unsuitable for handheld gaming. I'm looking forward to Field Commander, but little else...

SSaxdude
April 29th, 2006, 02:48
$ony's so called "demos" are like isos for the idiots who upgrade, so no I would NEVER update. Sony is trying to win over some homebrew fans by offering free "games." I've had my 1.5 since the US release and updating to me has been a joke. I thought about updating to 2.0 when the downgrader was released so I could get GTA but still go back to 1.5. Even though Fanjita's awesome eloader was released, I still didn't want to update. This 2.7 is a shame to PSP owners; if you update, you should leave this site, spit at Fanjita and Ditlew in the face, flip off PSMonkey, send hate mail to Yoyofr and syn-z... you get my point. The homebrew scene keeps giving and giving, so you shouldn' t make it harder by updating. Just wait for Monkey 64 to be released, and this 2.7 crap will just be a faded memory of how much Sony is trying to stop homebrew when they can't make any good games.