PDA

View Full Version : Haze Developers Say PS3 Technical Issues Impacted Game Design

wraggster
August 13th, 2009, 17:46
Free Radical Design's Haze was not a good game. After being delayed multiple times, the futuristic first-person shooter landed with a thud. Part of that can be attributed to the developer's struggle coming to grips with PlayStation 3 hardware.

It's not an unfamiliar story, but one that may explain why the former TimeSplitters devs faltered with Haze. Free Radical co-founder Karl Hilton, now at new home Crytek UK, explains to Develop how "technical issues" affected the final product.

"We hit a few stumbling blocks on it that meant we spent more time trying get the game running properly and less time to design the game properly," Hilton says, lamenting that Haze "wasn't the game it should have been."

Hilton's still up on the PS3, though, despite Haze's critical and commercial performance. He calls Sony's platform a "powerful machine but a difficult one to get the best out of."

And believe it or not, his new employers will get the best out of it, Hilton says.

"We know the PS3 can do amazing things, and no one has pushed it as far as it can go, but I think the CryEngine gives us a great head start on it," he says.

Blame the hardware, if you want. Blame the developer if that makes you feel any better. Me? I'm blaming Korn.

http://kotaku.com/5336188/haze-developers-say-ps3-technical-issues-impacted-game-design