PDA

View Full Version : Valve continues to snub ‘complex’ PS3

wraggster
August 14th, 2009, 15:14
Gabe Newell insists the developer is not trying to break the ice with Sony’s powerhouse
Washington-based indie giants Valve has confirmed it will not be developing for the PS3 in the near future, continuing the company’s long-established disagreement with Sony.
Two years ago Valve co-founder Gabe Newell criticised the PS3, claiming that development investment in the hardware offers “no long-term benefits”.
“You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created,” he said at the time.

It seems that Newell is persisting with this view. A Kotaku report unearths Newell’s interview with GTTV, in which he is asked whether the developer is trying to make strides with PS3 development.

“No. Not in any real way,” replied Newell.

Back in July, Valve’s Left 4 Dead 2 project lead Tom Leonard explained why the group continues to focus on the PC and Xbox 360:

“The PC and the 360 are just more straightforward,” he said. “We can focus on what we want to do, which is make game experiences, instead of sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions they make with [Sony’s] platform.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/32615/Valve-continues-to-snub-complex-PS3

ElRazur
August 15th, 2009, 08:19
Is it a safe and fair bet to call him a lazy developer talking from his backside?

How come other developers and coders can pull it off? Gosh.

Triv1um
August 15th, 2009, 12:16
Exactly ElRazur, they are just a lazy bullshit development team who can't stand a challenge and would rather create easier, quicker made software so they can get more money.

**** Valve, I love their work but I hate Valve.

Darksaviour69
August 15th, 2009, 14:25
lol @ calling valve a "lazy" developer.

demonolith
August 15th, 2009, 15:39
no big loss, Valve hasn't exactly produced any good games

jxx2005
August 15th, 2009, 16:58
no big loss, Valve hasn't exactly produced any good games

yea
half life, half life 2, counter strike, portal, team fortress 2, left 4 dead
yea no one likes any of those
</sarcasm>

srsly though, i hope that when HL2 Episode 3 comes out, the do what they did with the orange box (i just finished playing through HL2, HL2 e1 and e2 on my PS3)

Eviltaco64
August 15th, 2009, 19:24
The PS3's userbase is large now (afaik, only a few million away from X360). Learning the "impossible architecture of the PS3" would probably turn them a bigger profit.

Valve makes some sweet games, but Gabey doesn't have to be a dick to PS3 owners.

He makes it sound like it's the Saturn.

WhizzBang
August 15th, 2009, 20:14
When the PS2 came out many devs said the same.

Valve is a PC game developer though so porting to the 360 is far cheaper and easier to do than to learn the architecture of a completely different system and port games to it.

Darksaviour69
August 15th, 2009, 21:59
Eviltaco64: the gap between ps3 and 360 is at 8 million at the mo and the gap is getting larger very week : /

But really I think its about resources. They think that the resources need to develop on the ps3 can be put to better use somewhere else. Companies do this all the time (EA on the dreamcast). They are not saying they can't make a profit on the ps3, but they can make better profit else were.

Still I don't think sony should worry too much. Valve are great publisher/developer, but they ant a big player like EA.

jxx2005
August 15th, 2009, 23:27
the orange box on PS3 was released through EA

Eviltaco64
August 16th, 2009, 01:44
Eviltaco64: the gap between ps3 and 360 is at 8 million at the mo and the gap is getting larger very week : /

But really I think its about resources. They think that the resources need to develop on the ps3 can be put to better use somewhere else. Companies do this all the time (EA on the dreamcast). They are not saying they can't make a profit on the ps3, but they can make better profit else were.

Still I don't think sony should worry too much. Valve are great publisher/developer, but they ant a big player like EA.

Sorry, I meant 8 million as a few million. It'll also be interesting to see what will happen when the possibly cheaper 360 Elite and the possibly cheaper PS3 Slim compete with each other.

Anyway, I do understand why Valve would choose not to develop for the PS3. During the last two generations, they've favored the Xbox/360's PC port-friendly architecture. As a company that develops incredible PC games, it'd make more sense for them to port to consoles without much difficulty.

Still, I'm sure a lot of PS3 owners would love to see more Valve titles arrive on their console. If there's a lot of demand for them, then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to outsource their PS3 projects to a company like EA (who probably have a lot more experience working on PS3 titles than they did in 2007).

Malksta
August 16th, 2009, 14:28
Well, Microsoft are the ones who made him rich..