PDA

View Full Version : Monkey 64 (Nintendo 64 Emulator WIP Update)

wraggster
April 28th, 2006, 21:40
PSmonkey has posted a screenshot of the game which is now working in his Nintendo 64 emulator for the PSP, he posted this bit of news:

The bug was Eeprom. While mario & waverace still dont work, I think ths more has to do with emulation bugs (made a few trying to get mario working). All 3 roms (which required 4k eeprom) now progress.

Starfox does get alot farter then this, it's just the map screen is very hard to figure out (hle bugs). I probably could get all the way ingame but did not have the time to check it out. $n!pR will do that for me in a big and come back with the results later.

Keep your eye on things via his site here --> http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk

-- Update by PSmonkey --
I have also just fixed a missing RDP opcode. As a result mario kart is now running. Please see website for screenshots & more details.

grin.ch
April 28th, 2006, 22:00
PSmonkey rocks! I can't wait for a new build!

Shilo
April 28th, 2006, 22:53
PSmonkey rocks! I can't wait for a new build!

Neither can I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

PSmonkey
April 28th, 2006, 23:09
Update guys. I fixed a bug stoping mario kart (missing rdp op). Now mario kart runs. :D Hopefuly I can fix the rsp/rdp bugs so both starfox & mario kart will be playable (visualy you cant see well in either game).

t3hguitarman
April 28th, 2006, 23:24
Update guys. I fixed a bug stoping mario kart (missing rdp op). Now mario kart runs. :D Hopefuly I can fix the rsp/rdp bugs so both starfox & mario kart will be playable (visualy you cant see well in either game).

OH MY GOD! I just soiled myself. Just the fact that you said that they run (regardless of showing understandable images) is amazing. Keep it up! :D

Shilo
April 28th, 2006, 23:29
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Don't feel bad t3guitarman, cuz I just craped my pants!:D MARIO KART WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That makes two awesome games that started working today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are on a roll today PSmonkey, keep up the AWESOME work!!!!! :D

P.S Hey PSmonkey, can you post some screen shots of Mario Kart please?

Voltron
April 28th, 2006, 23:50
Holy $%^&!

This is really coming along huh? Mario Kart Runs? Most impressive.

Absolutely INCREDIBLE work PSMonkey and anyone else helping you with this. This is going to gain support fast.

May PSP Homebrew Emulation live forever.

Shilo
April 29th, 2006, 00:01
May PSP Homebrew Emulation live forever.

And with coders like PSmonkey, it will

pspfan
April 29th, 2006, 00:17
Wow...Mario Kart 64....That's one of the games I'd really love to play on this emulator. And it's one of the first ones running! Amazing...I, too, hope you can fix the rsp/rdp bugs (whatever those are, hehe...) so they can be seen visually. I think it'd be a laugh when my friend's playing Mario Kart DS on his DS, and then I wip out my PSP and play Mario Kart 64, with just as good graphics, and on a PSP...

This emulator is really looking great. You seem to be making immense amounts of progress, too. Thanks for all your hard work--I know it must be hell, especially with you coded it from the ground up instead of porting an existing emulator...Anyway, good luck and I hope to see more of this great progress in the future :). I have pretty much no money, but I'm willing to borrow money just to donate to you on PayPal when this is released :D.

Sterist
April 29th, 2006, 00:54
ooo and 9.9 fps :)

LC_killer
April 29th, 2006, 01:40
no kidding, i dont think i have seen a coder put this much time into a release. i know i will donate when its done and i use it. cant wait. i havnt played 64 since it got stolen.

SchmuckofNI
April 29th, 2006, 01:46
Sounds like I'll be playing Mario kart 64 on my psp this summer when I go to alaska to work. :P

YourStillWithMe
April 29th, 2006, 02:22
I'm so very grateful for all the work that you have done my friend. You have taken what no one thought would be possible and have formed a great emulator thus far. Do I need to say more? You should be very proud of yourself and i'm sure millions share my opinion.

Best Of Luck To You

P.S-I was looking for a Mario 64 or a Waverace kinda thing to be the first game to run well but Mario Kart 64!? Starfox? Excellent work!

Psphreak
April 29th, 2006, 03:17
nice!!

Cloud_35
April 29th, 2006, 04:30
My........

I thought I was dreaming when I saw the screenshots, but I just fell off my seat (litterally guys, I REALLY fell) with the second "update".

One of the "kick-ass" racer games of all our honorable history will be runnin' in our pockets.

But the question is...how big will be the file???

Please, don't dissappoit me saying that I will need ANOTHER 2gb card (the first one is full)

emuking
April 29th, 2006, 04:50
cloud 35 mario kart 64 is less than a 100 mb so dont worry you can even fit about 3 64 games on a 128 mb so its what really makes it amazing that mario kart and starfox might possibly be the first games to run considering they are two of the best games ever and on a psp too not a pc!!!psmonkey you are god seriously to all homebrew and why i will never update most likely as this will be the best emulator ever!!! thanks ill send a big donation when any 64 game is playable your the best man

Cooe14
April 29th, 2006, 04:50
I'm guessing the emulator could be anywhere from 5-30 mb and the roms are about 16mb. But hey this is just my guess.

pkmusicmaker
April 29th, 2006, 05:03
I admire your persistance, you're quickly proving plenty of people wrong already. Keep it up, you're making things exciting around here.

Martin
April 29th, 2006, 05:22
Incredible :D

stotheamuel
April 29th, 2006, 05:38
cloud 35 mario kart 64 is less than a 100 mb so dont worry you can even fit about 3 64 games on a 128 mb so its what really makes it amazing that mario kart and starfox might possibly be the first games to run considering they are two of the best games ever and on a psp too not a pc!!!psmonkey you are god seriously to all homebrew and why i will never update most likely as this will be the best emulator ever!!! thanks ill send a big donation when any 64 game is playable your the best man

try less than 10 mb..... mine is 8 mb

so u could fit 12 at that size

calebg
April 29th, 2006, 05:44
its soo cool to be a m64 beta tester

calebg
April 29th, 2006, 05:44
psyke
just playin good job though

BALL_SAC
April 29th, 2006, 06:33
wow, this is awesome. I cant wait to see what mario 64 will look like soon

PSmonkey
April 29th, 2006, 06:54
FYI Guys, N64 games are noted in MegaBits or Mb. PSP memcards note things in MegaBytes or MB.

8 bits = 1 Byte.

So take mario for instance
64Mb (bit) / 8 = 8 MB (bytes).

Nintendo has a nack for using Megabits to make thing sound larger then they really are.

Also as to why mario is not working. Well there are a few reasons
1) Mario uses Tlb emulataion where Starfox & mario kart dont. I still need to do tlb emulation (its where memory addresses are translated to the proper hw addresses)
2) Mario uses Fast3D microcode, Starfox & mario kart use F3DEX. Ever since quest started working, I have put much more time into the F3DEX Microcode so it works much better. I actualy think I just have a small bug in Fast3D which is causing the bug
3) The first Commercial Game to run on Monkey 64 was Mortal Kombat Trillogy. :P First 3D Comercial Game to run (and actualy output 3d) was Quest64. :P

shadowprophet
April 29th, 2006, 07:46
But how long before an offical release?

Not asking for a set date.
Just wondering in the general neighborhood.

Months ? days? hours ? lol :p

Btw if you have already set a release date, And I missed it somwhere, My bad :p

Anyway Good work man, your officaly a credit to the comunity *cheers

*zelda 64. Freaken Sweet man, I cant wait I can totaly kick some ganon ass, all up on my psp :D

ukcuf16
April 29th, 2006, 08:02
U are seriously a genius psmonkey. i mean this kicks so much ass.

felonyr301
April 29th, 2006, 08:30
you kick ass seriously.... but nobody answered this for me why struggle with doing it on user mode and not on kernal mode from which i hear you are doiing it on... isnt kernal mode better ?? im no expert just wanna know your take on it and anybody else can give me an answer too??

shadowprophet
April 29th, 2006, 09:33
you kick ass seriously.... but nobody answered this for me why struggle with doing it on user mode and not on kernal mode from which i hear you are doiing it on... isnt kernal mode better ?? im no expert just wanna know your take on it and anybody else can give me an answer too??

Wouldnt Krenal mode limate a whole lot of psp users from being able to run the final emu?

I think only 1.0 and 1.5 can do kernal.

BALL_SAC
April 29th, 2006, 10:05
kernal mode in a way is better, but yes, it will disable a whole bunch of psp users from being able to use the app. Monkey 64 runs in user mode, which means that anyone with any firmware (except 2.7) can use the emulator. Kernal mode was locked by sony because at the time, umd emulators were being made, and people started pirating games. I sure wish we could use apps in kernal mode thou, as it is indeed much better than user mode. emulators get full potential fps wise out of kernal mode than user mode.

shadowprophet
April 29th, 2006, 11:15
It wasnt so long ago that homebrew on the 2.0 was an impossible dream. 2.7 is being worked on to be exploited as we speak:cool:

D0N
April 29th, 2006, 11:23
Hey PSMonkey. Keep up your good work. Can't wait untill its out...:D Keep up the good work man!

Gamelver
April 29th, 2006, 12:47
looks good so far, but there's still quite a bit left to go :|...hopefully it'll eventually work at a playable speed. Best of luck to you, PSmonkey ;).

FIRE
April 29th, 2006, 17:55
Good job PSmonkey... but we will never be able to play in mario 64 or mario kart in 30 fps:( or something like that ;(

Cap'n 1time
April 29th, 2006, 18:11
Good job PSmonkey... but we will never be able to play in mario 64 or mario kart in 30 fps:( or something like that ;(

its possible. he hasnt began to optimize for speed yet :) . cheer up emo kid!

crazy_biker420
April 29th, 2006, 18:54
dont give up

felonyr301
April 29th, 2006, 19:45
i mean first start out in kernal mode right to get it working up to speed than move over to user mode and just start figuring out how to speed it up and stuff you know thats all might be a better solution you never know.....

gimpyjr
April 29th, 2006, 20:52
you truly are talanted my friend. star fox was an awsome game. Did you mean to make a breakthrough like this so close to E3 cause if you did that's awsome

pkmusicmaker
April 29th, 2006, 23:47
If Star Fox and Mario Kart 64 work before their SNES counterparts, I'm gonna die laughing.

RedKing14CA
April 30th, 2006, 01:31
You gonna have a little homebrew card board booth at E3? well i guess you'd be in danger 'cuz alot of sont rep.s would be there..

Well, Great job, and if they make a 2.01-2.7 downgrade maybe do a kernal mode version too, but good luck, and AWSOME job!

LiNKZiE
April 30th, 2006, 12:49
great work psmonkey!

(:

*can't wait for the release*

Pumped'Up
April 30th, 2006, 15:44
Fantastic work PSmonkey!

CalvinDu
April 30th, 2006, 17:04
If Star Fox and Mario Kart 64 work before their SNES counterparts, I'm gonna die laughing.
That would be odd and awesome at the same time.

PSmonkey you're the only reason why I won't upgrade my 1.50! Keep up the great work. :D

pspfan
April 30th, 2006, 19:57
I really hope they do because that would show all those tards who say "Well SNES doesn't even work perfectly so N64 will never work!" how wrong they are.

Cap'n 1time
April 30th, 2006, 20:41
I really hope they do because that would show all those tards who say "Well SNES doesn't even work perfectly so N64 will never work!" how wrong they are.

hah... me too.

some people just dont get whats really involved in making this stuff work. a machines power as nothing to do with whats involved in getting certain things to work. people like that just need to keep their mouths shut.

pspfan
April 30th, 2006, 22:30
Yeah, and they don't even realize that PSMonkey is coding this from the ground up for the PSP, not porting something, and that he is a very dedicated coder. The people who give the "N64 vs SNES" specs speech don't realize that the only specs comparison that matters is "N64 vs PSP" and if they looked at those specs they would see that it is possible. But of course, the people who complain about it not being possible aren't smart enough to realize any of this...

Cap'n 1time
May 1st, 2006, 03:41
Yeah, and they don't even realize that PSMonkey is coding this from the ground up for the PSP, not porting something, and that he is a very dedicated coder. The people who give the "N64 vs SNES" specs speech don't realize that the only specs comparison that matters is "N64 vs PSP" and if they looked at those specs they would see that it is possible. But of course, the people who complain about it not being possible aren't smart enough to realize any of this...

I think when coders say they think its not possible.. they are really saying it isnt probable. not everyone is talented enough or has enough time to work on a large scale, from scratch emulator. In a similar case its been said that a Playstation emulator for dreamcast is perfectly possible (and its been done- see bleemcast) but it would take alot of square 1 programming. this example is being proven by the work pspmonkey has been doing.

pspfan
May 1st, 2006, 03:44
Actually I find it's not usually coders saying they think it's not possible, just noobs who love to bitch about the homebrew scene rather then support it and focus on the GOOD stuff...

stotheamuel
May 1st, 2006, 03:49
PSmonkey you're the only reason why I won't upgrade my 1.50! Keep up the great work. :D

itll be usable up to fw 2.6..... the only thing 1.5 will get possibly is better sound emulation... but thats all going to be done in a long time from now

CalvinDu
May 1st, 2006, 03:52
I'd rather wait than regret not waiting. I'd love to play these games with good speeds and sound.

ME all the way.

yamaneko
May 2nd, 2006, 12:18
go go go go