PDA

View Full Version : Video of PSPMame in action

MetaFox
April 29th, 2006, 22:17
Eggman has released a video that shows the PSP port of the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator in action. The video shows Frogger and Pac-Man. MikeDX has added more games to the list of playable games including Green Beret, Matmania, and Jail Break - bringing the total list of compatible games up to 24. You can view the video from the download attatched to this post.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
April 29th, 2006, 22:22
Guyz remember this is early days alot of work to do still trust me the games so far play like a dream !! this is gonna be HUGE !

T-2000
April 29th, 2006, 22:36
about time something happened with mame... homebrew emu has slowed down pretty much recently.. keep it up..

whitey75
April 29th, 2006, 23:15
Gotta say.....been looking forward to this for a long time...good luck guys, can't wait!

repuken2
April 29th, 2006, 23:20
Green Berettttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
April 29th, 2006, 23:34
Green beret works fine 60 fps testing it as I type lol..When I can get my psp back off my gf.

Fanjita
April 30th, 2006, 00:18
Eh? I thought MAME was already working quite well on the PSP, and it was just v2.0+ that had a problem?

MikeDX
April 30th, 2006, 00:52
The problem with mame on the psp is that its very unstable - and a lot of the games dont run or dont run at a proper speed - and what does work is spread across 8 different eboots. What I'm trying to achieve is a single version of mame with as many full speed working games as possible with the highest stability possible..

BazzaLB
April 30th, 2006, 01:43
Well, if ELEVATOR ACTION ever gets properly emulated (currently runs at about 5fps on existing PSP MAME emus), I'll happily relive my mispent youth of more than 20 years ago.. What a blast that would be.

Good luck MikeDX, brilliant job so far

Jaz
April 30th, 2006, 03:34
Well, if ELEVATOR ACTION ever gets properly emulated (currently runs at about 5fps on existing PSP MAME emus), I'll happily relive my mispent youth of more than 20 years ago.. What a blast that would be.

Good luck MikeDX, brilliant job so far

What he said. Second best game of all time (just behind Wizball on C64).

oninotsume
April 30th, 2006, 14:55
I won't lie to you. I'm really hoping for the day when CPS1/2 and System-16 work, but man that video is F'n awesome!! I can't wait! Thanks for working on this Mike! :D

Fanjita
April 30th, 2006, 16:03
The problem with mame on the psp is that its very unstable - and a lot of the games dont run or dont run at a proper speed - and what does work is spread across 8 different eboots. What I'm trying to achieve is a single version of mame with as many full speed working games as possible with the highest stability possible..

Cool, MAME was always my favourite emulator. I built a full-size cabinet to play with, once.

I hadn't really played with it on the PSP though. Do you think you'll be able to get a single version working? I thought the current division into different emu bundles was for reasons of memory shortage?

Pumped'Up
April 30th, 2006, 16:06
Can't wait -!!!

Voltron
April 30th, 2006, 21:51
Hell yeah, a welcome addition to the ever growing homebrew paradise on the PSP. Nice work.

MikeDX
April 30th, 2006, 22:47
Do you think you'll be able to get a single version working? I thought the current division into different emu bundles was for reasons of memory shortage?

I believe so but time will tell. I'm up to 31 working unique games - and at this point I could double that number of working games without increasing the memory overhead at all.

My biggest hurdle right now is getting the 68k cpu to compile but I'll work on that another time ;)

F34R
May 1st, 2006, 00:51
awesome work guys. Is there a donation link available ?

sgamemu22
May 1st, 2006, 07:03
Hooray Im glad to hear news about the mame emu is still being worked on. Ive been waiting for news like this for months now. If only tmnt arcade and outrun could work i'll be extremely happy with my psp once again. Only time will tell.

Anyways very awesome work.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 1st, 2006, 08:50
i'm currently working on another video guyz hopefully for release during the later half of this week so watch this space :).

geise69
May 1st, 2006, 13:11
Mame v0.97 for psp was not a good idea to port from the begining. It's too new and the code for that mame is for compatability. In the early days of mame up to version 0.36 I believe those versions were coded differently. They ran really fast on older machines. As long as this new psp mame is based off the older versions of mame you shouldn't have a problem getting older games to run at full speed. I have a gp2x, and mame on that is based off of the older 0.35 version. It runs really really good on a 200mhz arm processor. I can play cps1 stuff and neogeo. With the psp processor and some optimizing I believe you can really achieve what you are trying to do. It's off to an awesome start seeing the videos. Keep at it man it's very much appreciated.

BALL_SAC
May 1st, 2006, 14:59
There has to be a way to code this through 0.97. If eggman codes this right, we all may be playin street fighter 2 on our psps! That would be awesome.

usokz
August 20th, 2007, 21:40
So we are now over a year since the last post...where do we stand on a working MAME emulator?

I think geise69 had the right idea...version 0.36 might be a better version to try and port to PSP...

I even tried reaching out to ZX-81 but he said he was done porting emulators...

pkmaximum
August 21st, 2007, 05:05
UMmmm NJ has emulated CPS-1, CPS-2, NEO-GEO, NEO-GEO CD all at full speed with ad hoc mode, use those......

Panini
August 21st, 2007, 09:27
NJ is a legend for what hes done for psp.

But back on topic we still have no smash tv, tmnt, simpsons, bubble bobble or Crude busters etc. :(

We do need an update on mame but alas nobody seems up for the challenge. Im not bothered about custom firmware, i just need a portable arcade psp! lol

optic.ghost
August 21st, 2007, 16:09
It is kind of ironic that PSP iterations of Mame appeared relatively early in the scene, and yet it remains so underdeveloped overall. GP2X kids get all the fun... lol.

Baboon
August 21st, 2007, 16:27
It is kind of ironic that PSP iterations of Mame appeared relatively early in the scene, and yet it remains so underdeveloped overall. GP2X kids get all the fun... lol.

I totaly agree with ya.

Out of all the other emulators this is the one thing i would have liked to have seen worked on the most.

MikeDX was on to a good thing here but alas this hasnt been touched for many moons now. :( The alternatives were mame4all which managed to get most of the games working that i wanted (Shinobi, Golden axe, robocop, street fighter1 etc)... and then NJ stepped it up a gear with his cps1/2/neogeomasterpeices. :)

Its such a shame that nobodys up for the challenge though. ...but this is now turning into dejavu as ive been here before calling out to deaf ears! lol

I guess for now ill stick with my mame-pc machine for my arcade retro needs.

jurkevicz
August 21st, 2007, 17:11
Man, people have been beggin for a decent port of MAME for PSP. I also use MAME4ALL, that emu had potential, too bad it got abandoned. I also would like to play TMNT, The Simpsons, Smash TV, E-Swat with sound on my PSP.

usp8riot
August 21st, 2007, 19:33
My first thread here after many months lurking. But I just want to assert that there's many people out there who would love more compatible games working for MAME on PSP. I have no coding experience so all I could do is bug test.

But with that said, I am thankful for what we do have on PSP. It's amazing what's been done so far. Thanks to all the coders.